Brake Master Cylinder - Anybody know what is factory original? | FerrariChat

Brake Master Cylinder - Anybody know what is factory original?

Discussion in '308/328' started by phild328, Jul 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. phild328

phild328 Rookie

Aug 2, 2004
    Lebanon, PA
    I have an '87 328, US model. It has a master cylinder that has a bore size in the 25.5mm area. Part number on it is 1421639. Where the brake lines attach, the casting goes all the way across the cylinder and is mirrored on the other side (probably to use the same casting for left and right side cars, just change which side is machined). It also does NOT have a screw in service cap on the back end. It looks a LOT like the cylinders listed for 365/400/412 cars. It looks like the same one in "birdmans" master cylinder write-up, which is 308, so it seems they were used in 308s also.
    BUT, I see a lot of cylinders listed for 308/328 cars that are different. The casting only goes to one side where the brake lines attach and there is a screw on cap on the back. They are generally listed as 23mm bore size.
    So my problem is that I ordered a 308/328 seal kit and it is 23mm. I need to find a seal kit for my cylinder.

Does anyone know which cylinders were used when? (since they weren't supplied separately, I am guessing ferrari used whatever they got sent to them by benditalia and there is a mix across the 308/328 line, though is there any known years that have one or the other?)

Does anyone know where to get the 25.5mm seals?

Would seals for the 365/400/412 work, what bore size is that?

Birdman mc write-up:
    http://www.birdman308.com/service/master-cylinder/master-cylinder.htm

365/400/412 MC:
    https://www.okp.de/xtc2/Ferrari/45-Brakes/Master-cylinders/Brake-master-cylinder-1-Ferrari-365-400-412-Maserati::18315.html?language=en

308/328 MC:
    https://www.okp.de/xtc2/Ferrari/45-Brakes/Master-cylinders/Brake-master-cylinder-Ferrari-208-308-512-BB-23mm::18314.html?language=en

2. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Hello,
    I rebuilt mine, the master cylinder(25.5mm) is the same one used on Peugeot and Citroen vans. This may sound odd, but it's true. I got two repair kits, over the counter, in Sevilla(Spain) this is where I live. Don't remember the exact price, but was not expensive. If you're interested just let me know.
    John.

3. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Phil, the reason I know this is because the master cylinder was made by Bendix. It's not an exclusive Ferrari part...this cylinder was adapted in other vehicles, such as the ones stated before. Ignition coils and modules were also used in several Fiats, Lancias and Autobianchis.
    Living in Europe helps a lot as this is a European car. Injection parts are found without too much trouble, Bosch is a German manufacturer.
    I owe an 87 328 US specs. Already rebuilt all the suspension, breaks, ignition and fuel injection. Now I'm working on the engine(head gasket leak on cylinder#5). while apart, I realized the liners were worn, so all liners were pulled out and sent to Kustom Kraft back in the States for stripping/re-plating. Have not been able to get this done in Europe.
    Many parts have been purchased in Superformance UK, now keep in mind that they charge in pounds plus a 20% VAT, plus shipping, apart from that they have many parts and several choices, like clutches and flywheels.
    I ordered a set of piston rings and found out that the rings were made in the US...Could have saved some money ordering directly from the States.
    If I can help you out with any hints, feel free to contact me.
    My email is: [email protected]

John.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The 328 SPC documentation shows that there was a change in the brake servo/master cylinder assembly for the non-ABS 328 at SN 72029 (and after) -- what is your chassis SN?
    (Although, after ~30 years, it could've been replaced, and the later unit would probably be what was available.)