Brake Master Cylinder Rebuild | FerrariChat

Brake Master Cylinder Rebuild

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by skl63, Jan 19, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. skl63

skl63 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    When getting a master cylinder rebuilt (seals and sleeving if required) would you remove only the front section (circled in red) or the whole unit (in green).

The rear section is connected to the Nitrogen sphere and is the hydro boost part I guess, so probably doesn’t need removing.

Thoughts?

Cheers
    Scott
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    #2 franschman, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    See page G-14 of the WSM for a cross section of the assembly.

(Don't know in which part you have a problem; there are many seals in the inner part as well. The outer part, the actual master brake cylinder, is not so easy to rebore/resleeve or even hone, as it is a blind cylinder.)

There's one for sale on ebay at the moment in, according the seller, as new condition. No affiliation though.

3. rviani

rviani Karting

Jun 22, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ron Viani
    Not sure what you problem is but I had an issue with no power brakes (very hard pedal) with full pressure from the boost system. I split the two parts and removed the front part without needing to disconnect brake lines and then removed the rear assembly (booster) from the car. Disassembly was a bit finicky but in my case the slide valve (#11 on page G14) needed to be cleaned up which solved the problem. Hope this helps.

4. skl63

skl63 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The symptoms feel like classic master cylinder problem, with the brake pedal slowly going down with moderate pressure from foot.

5. skl63

skl63 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #5 skl63, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Thanks Bart. Do you know if they are difficult to replace seals in? Unfortunately my WSM only shows cross section of callipers not master cylinder. Car is a 456GTA, RHD.

6. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Never opened one myself, but looking at the drawing it is quite complicated! There's many more components in it than an ordinary master cylinder. Even more than in an old Lancia (super duplex) system. Be careful not to loose parts.
    You have the WorkShopManual?