Brake pads for 365 GTB/4 and other vintage models | FerrariChat

Brake pads for 365 GTB/4 and other vintage models

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by TTR, Oct 13, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I've been wondering if any of the more experienced mechanics/restorers/shops or owners have compiled any reference data on currently available brake pads for "vintage" Ferraris, like a Daytona, and would be willing to share or offer recommendations on their effectiveness and other pros or cons ?
    For example, which brand/type would cause less dusting, etc ?

pilotoCS likes this.
  2. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Timo: In the past we used Repco Metal Master pads on Daytona's, with great success. Low dust and not hard on rotors. I believe they may be no longer available. For the last 5-7 years, we have had super results with Hawk Ceramic pads on a variety of cars. They are a "street" pad, and have VERY little dust. Also totally quiet.

TTR and pilotoCS like this.
  3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thanks Dyke !
    Initial online search into Hawk or Repco didn’t provide results for Daytona, but I’ll call Hawk next week to see if they make them.

4. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    For Hawk, you will need to match the Daytona pads to a more common Mercedes, etc., pad to get the current Hawk part number. I do not think there is anything unique about the Daytona pad. It is a standard ATE pad used in other cars also.

TTR, turbo-joe and Edward 96GTS like this.
  5. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Hi Dyke, Do you have the similar brand recommendations for 275 Dunlop caliper pads, if available? By chance do you have experience with Porterfield R4-S compound pads for street use - these were once suggested to me? Best, Chris

6. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Chris: I am sure Hawk makes the Ceramic pad in the 275 sizes, as they are also used in various British cars. You may have to match them to a common British pad. I want to be careful in speaking about the Porterfield R4-S pads. Contact me by PM.

7. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    For Dino,

I found Porterfield Racing to be quite the pad. Mind you no personal experience, as none run :)

Regards, Alberto

8. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Thanks Dyke, PM sent

9. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Daytona fronts have same profile as some BMW and Benz but they are 20mm thick vs Daytona 15mm I guess due to the thickness of discs.
    20mm can be machined down to 15mm commonly done