Brake Problem | FerrariChat

Brake Problem

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ignaciotero, Mar 20, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ignaciotero

ignaciotero Karting

Sep 12, 2010
    Bogota, Colombia
    Full Name:
    Nacho
    I finally took the car for a spin. 200 mile drive. Be having, though, some trouble with the brakes. It seems to be pretty inconsistent with the braking, under hard braking the brakes fade away, sometimes it has a good response, sometimes it doesnt.

Am I supposed to bed-in the brakes in a specific manner?

Is this normal?

Thanks

2. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I and few others I know of, F430, F430 spider and scuds had similar issues with CCB, it almost felt like brakes faded, rather I had no power brakes at high speeds. This was a intermitted problem, happened at high speeds. Finally dealer replaced the booster units on all and the problem was taken care of. The tech at the dealership told me a check valve in the booster system seems to be getting stuck. I realize you have a 458 but from what you’re describing it’s identical symptoms.

3. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    bed it in first :

60mph to 30 brake hard 10 times.
    90mph to 40 brake hard 10 times.

ur brakes will become the best in the world.

4. ferrari270

ferrari270 Karting

Mar 25, 2010
    good advice

5. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    +1. good advice.

Most brand new car owners don't perform the bedding-in brakes procedure, this is critical in cars with CCB rotors, as the procedure takes 3 times longer.

6. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Maybe

I did nothing to my brakes since picking up the 458 and it has been fine.

I would go to Ferrari retailer.

Lee

7. raygr

raygr Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I have this issue as well. It seems like the brake boost (or vacuum) is lost at times. The pedal becomes very hard and it's impossible to get into ABS. I don't think it is a question bedding of the brakes. I've owned many ceramic brake cars (Ferrari and Porsche) and this is more of a brake boost/bias/pressure issue. The pedal pressure is inconsistent. My car is now at the dealer and they are investigating. One symptom is that the brake pedal is very hard when you first start the car, and it stays that way for several seconds after you start the motor.

8. ignaciotero

ignaciotero Karting

Sep 12, 2010
    Bogota, Colombia
    Full Name:
    Nacho
    I think so too. Its more like a boost problem. Pedal is really hard most of the times. And it doesnt matter how hard I push the brake pedal I cant get it to nearly lock the wheels or get into abs. Unfortunely for me, no ferrari dealear in Colombia. They are sending me a mechanic from the Venezuela ferrari dealer to check the issue out.

9. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Unfortunately first couple of times I complained to the dealer about this issue they did a visual check and a soft test drive, they determined there were no problem with the brakes. I told them they need to test the car at high speeds to replicate my problem, dealer said they weren’t allowed to test the car above the legal speed limit, finally I got behind the wheel with the head technician next to me, drove it really hard and slammed on the brakes, tech’s face turned white he knew then how severe the problem was. They kept the car for a week, they actually contacted Ferrari in Italy, finally determined it was problem in the booster system.
    Ever since they replaced the booster unit, my 430 brakes like it’s suppose to, hopefully the tech coming to you from Venezuela will be little more hands on. I’m telling you this so you don’t end up like me and they resolve your issue on the first attempt.

10. ignaciotero

ignaciotero Karting

Sep 12, 2010
    Bogota, Colombia
    Full Name:
    Nacho
    i'd really appreciate if you'd let me know what the dealer answer is on your case. It could help me big time here.

Baitschev likes this.
  11. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    while at it, flush the entire brake system.

My Scuderia came with so much air in the brake lines, I could not believe it.

On a second time, I got the car to its first annual service, straight out of a Ferrari dealer. Brakes were erratic, I checked the brake fluid reservoir and noticed the different fluid color. I bled the brakes once again (a year after purchase) and everything got back to normal. There were air bubbles in my brake lines.

My experience, neither the factory of an authorized dealer know how to properly flush the brake fluid in this car.

I've been using Castrol SRF in the Scuderia for 2 years. Great track performance, great street performance, I flush the system once every year, and I bleed the lines every other track day.

12. buzduz74

buzduz74 Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Boca Raton
    Full Name:
    Buzz Marcus
    I did the same thing and breaks are better

13. raygr

raygr Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Finally had a chance to drive my 458 on a track. Three laps in - hardly any brakes at the end of the straight - very scary! Something is definitely wrong with the brakes on this car. Pedal gets hard and no matter how hard you press, you get very little braking force. It didn't happen on every lap. Needless to say, I retired the car early from the track day :(

Anybody else experience this? Dealer has investigated several systems on the car, but can't find anything wrong.

14. Street&Track

Street&Track Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Raygr,

Sorry to hear this. I have attended two track events and have had zero issues with the brakes.

I did do a good bed in procedure while the car was going thru the break-in period. I just used break-in as an excuse to drive the car more:)

Keep us informed when they do figure it out. Good Luck

15. 458UK

458UK Rookie

Aug 6, 2011
    London, UK
    Same here. My brakes are working well at low speeds, however, braking down from 150mph+, they sometimes (but not always) fade and it feels like the car will never stop. As far as I can tell either the brakes are still not bedded in or booster unit is not good.

Is it too late to bed in the brakes after a few hundred miles if not done at the very beginning?

16. DouglasNg

DouglasNg Formula 3

Jun 6, 2004
    SG
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    Hi guys, just to bring this thread up again.

Apart from John's advice to bed in the ceramic brakes, are there any other specific issues to look out for? How hard of braking is required (to the point when ABS is triggered)?

How much cooling time is required between each deceleration?

Regards

17. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Same here.

18. ktm

ktm Formula Junior

May 24, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    thanks for this i have not been happy with my brakes since I got the car. Did your suggested proceedure last night.....what a difference many thanks. i think because the cars gearbox is so fantastic and I love the wail of the engine I have been using engine braking to a much greater degree than normal.

19. Argento360

Argento360 Karting

Mar 9, 2006
    CA,AZ,NV
    Full Name:
    John
    #19 Argento360, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
    Off topic, but it would be great if you could post a picture of your car on the streets of Bogota -- I'm guessing there aren't many 458s to be seen there.

Back on topic, the break-in procedure seems like a good idea. I wonder how many owners are not aware of this and as a result are driving around with sub-par braking on their Italias and other CCB equipped F-Cars.

20. GFL

GFL Karting

Apr 7, 2012
    New York City
    Is this something you only do when the car is new or it's something you have to do if you haven't done this before period?

21. Race3

Race3 Karting

Nov 14, 2010
    is this recommended for a car that has 4000 or so miles to improve the breaks... or only for brand new vehicles? thx.

22. raygr

raygr Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I think there are two separate problem issues being discussed in this thread:

1) Brakes fading: having the brakes properly bedded in can improve their consistency and resistance to fading.

2) Some people (such as the OP ignaciotero and myself) experienced some kind of apparent fault with the brake booster system where the pedal firmness is inconsistent and stopping power is greatly reduced. If you have this problem, I think it's best to let the dealer look at it.

23. SL%%

SL%% Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2008
    sorry for my ignorance but when you say "hard" does that mean slam the brakes?

24. KINGMONKEY

KINGMONKEY Formula 3

Aug 16, 2008
    San Diego / Roma
    Full Name:
    J K
    It's the ABS system at high speed the car doesn't want to fully engage the calipers due to (1) cold brake disc's (2) It doesn't want to lock the brakes.The 458 has a braking system like no other that puts the brake in an agressive mode were the pads come closer to the disc in preparing for a braking.I think at high speed it doesn't do it.I know exactly what you are talking about.I have found myself twice pumping the brake to make it slow down in a critical moment

25. DouglasNg

DouglasNg Formula 3

Jun 6, 2004
    SG
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    Yea could John clarify on this? I've got a set of specific bed in instructions from McLaren. Doesn't seem to be as simple here.