Brake Upgrade - Castrol React SRF brake fluid change | FerrariChat

Brake Upgrade - Castrol React SRF brake fluid change

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ballie64, Oct 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ballie64

Ballie64 Karting

Apr 24, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ball
    Hi I am fitting braided hoses and swapping to the React SRF brake fluid. Is there any do's and don'ts? I assume start with the rears and then the fronts.

How much brake fluid will I need will 1 litre be enough to switch it all out? Also if there are any other recommendations for fluid please advise the Castrol stuff is fairly pricey! The car is only for road use not track

2. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    You should have done that a long time ago.

3. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Honestly no need to do that for a road only car.

4. Giallo27

Giallo27 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    JB
    You only need it if you go to a track, even if you only do 1 Lap

5. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Not necessary on the street at all…and with an upgrade like that a potential buyer will assume the car was heavily tracked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Ballie64

Ballie64 Karting

Apr 24, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ball
    I only had the car 2 months! Lol

7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I typically use Motul RBF600 or I think they have a RBF660 now also.

Ray

Ballie64 likes this.
  8. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    RBF660 has been out for years…it’s what I use too. In my Porsche’s which I heavily tracked I preferred Motul rbf660 over Castrol SRF due to pedal,feel.

RayJohns likes this.
  9. Ballie64

Ballie64 Karting

Apr 24, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ball
    I am replacing the hoses with braided HEL ones as the current stock hoses are 11 years old and probably need replacing. Obviously I need to bleed through so I thought I may as well upgrade the fluid at the same time. I don't like the pedal feel it's not progressive its very ON or OFF and you have to stamp hard on to get it to stop especially when cold or at slow speeds. How does the RBF660 change the pedal feel? Please

10. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I get what you are doing…I agree now. On the street you won’t notice pedal feel with fluid. I and others…my track friends and many on the Porsche forums for 997-991 Porsche GT3 cars notice it at the track under extreme braking conditions. The Castrol feels a little mushy to me compared to Motul 660. Again this was in my Porsches. Ferrari master cylinder tuning and entire brake system is different so who knows at the track under extreme conditions what on the Ferrari works and what your foot feel for braking likes. Yes brake modulation is not great on these Ferrari’s. After driving years of Porsches, they tune the brakes much better and after you’ve driven Porsches there is no better brake system from a car manufacturer oem.