Brand New to Exotics and thinking about purchasing... Don't know where to begin | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Brand New to Exotics and thinking about purchasing... Don't know where to begin

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by LoveChesed, Dec 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    Give the LC 500C a try, it's not boring, sounds amazing and Ferrari could never imagine building at that quality level. If you can live with a closed top exotic, try a Gen 2 NSX, mine is over 5 years old and is totally reliable. If you are looking at a 458 spider (beyond amazing cars) you can pretty much assure yourself of sharing challah recipes with your service advisor while your mechanic is scratching his head about something. If the prancing horse is the itch that must me scratched, I would point you to a nice low mileage Portofino or 488 spider.

2. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    The OP doesn't seem like an enthusiast at any level. An exotic is bought (especially the 1st one) as a fulfillment of a lifelong dream and passion. This seems more like a ticket to a top valet spot and an ornament more than anything else.

If the OP is seriously a 'closet enthusiast', he needs to research the different models, find which ones he has a passion for and go drive them and see which is something he can't 'live without'. Judging by the original post, he'll probably buy a Lexus.

IloveGT and MWHC4S like this.
  3. LoveChesed

LoveChesed Rookie

Dec 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Thanks. I would get the Acura but ... it's not convertible. I'd get the LC but ... well I guess I should try it out. My lexus IS drives SOOOO boring. I was thinking I could get a F458 Spider < 200K but it looks like around 200 and up is the price. In that case... I'm going to be very tempted by the Tesla Roadster. I would be willing to give up speed for that throaty athletic feel in an ICE car you don't get in electric. But the fear of getting to know my mechanic on a first name basis and putting his kids through school makes me nervous. On the other hand ... from what I read ... maintenance is expensive but repairs are not common. Still I would think a Tesla is more reliable and repairs much much less expensive. I just blanche at the thought of $200K.

4. LoveChesed

LoveChesed Rookie

Dec 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    Keith
    For a long time I thought about exotics but - probably unlike many people here - never had a ferrari or lambo poster in my room when I was a teenager. I think everyone here is a much bigger enthusiast than me. The reason I never considered one seriously was probably 25% the cost and 75% the thought of it being in the repair shop all the time. I LOVE the look of the Maserati Granturismo but acknowledge it is not in the same category as Ferrari and Lamborghini. When I learned of the time and money I should expect to spend in the shop I never looked more seriously.

More recently I was on bogleheads and someone was debating about spending 100K on a car. I'd been following the thread and started reconsidering the idea of an exotic. So I started looking again. I would much like the Tesla Roadster - cool looking, very fast, and presumably reliable. But I was not prepared to spend 200K. Much to my surprise Ferrari seems to be much more reliable as compared to the past in terms of needing repairs. So I started looking more seriously. There are a lot of F-cars for 100-200 K where I would feel more comfortable. But as I researched it looks like F458 Spider would be the one I would really want and there aren't really any under 200K. In which case I start thinking about the reliability of the Tesla.

Having owned a BMW and having had it in the shop probably every other month for things they charged me to fix but never really fixed the problem ... I am really hesitant to purchase something I think would be in the shop a lot. It looks like Ferrari is reasonably reliable in that case but I would bet not as much as the Tesla.

If the 458 Spider were under 200K I'd probably pull the trigger. It's expensive enough I don't know that I feel comfortable spending over 200K.

paulchua likes this.
  5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Keith, it sounds to be that your 'true love' is the 458 Spider. That said, I would test drive the F458 and the Tesla. See which car speaks to you most (regardless of the cost.) One will whisper ever so more tantalizing to you. It's very rare to come out feeling equally fond of both.

I wouldn't compromise in love or war. Whatever your soul says - I would make that your target.

Given you are now unshackled by religious concerns, make it your goal.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

P.S.
    Also grateful you took my earnest queries in stride, I hope you appreciate my goal was to release the very spiritual bonds that were creating angst.

Kind regards.

6. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Good luck with your project but why do you refer to the Tesla Roadster as a comparator ? If it makes production its at least two years away (probably 2024) whereas you can buy a Ferrari today

7. ferrariwithsnowtires

Dec 17, 2005
    Tesla quality is not really there

Plus, new model issues likely with the Roadster, but you will get a new car warranty

And has been mentioned, who knows when they will be available

Then there is the sub-Corolla interior

Fast is not going to be an adequate word to describe it though, maybe F35ish without wings

8. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    Practicality/rationality and exotics don’t go together. If u use a Ferrari as a daily you have to have another car for backup. Unlike other cars, exotics are not fixed quickly, sometimes it takes a while to get an appointment, and often dealers don’t give loaners.

If you want some element of practicality look into a Porsche 981 spyder. Looks/sounds exoticish and much easier to maintain with cpo. And definitely a very fun and exciting car.

9. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    @paulchua banned 24 hours for religious commentary outside P&R. As a former moderator, Paul is well-versed in the Rules and TOS (as linked in his signature) and his constant baiting of the OP into a religious discussion is definitely against the rules. I'll leave the thread as-is but any further religion discussion in this thread will not be tolerated.

gliazzurri and paulchua like this.
  10. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Damn that’s cold. Paul is a great guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IloveGT and paulchua like this.
  11. jc1

jc1 Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2021
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Joey (2012 458 Spider)
    458 Spider is definitely the best choice, but a nice one is likely going to run you $250k plus these days.

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks for your support, @Natkingcolebasket69 . Moderators have a tough job, and @GatorFL did the right thing here.

Too clear the air: the OP brought up religion as the reason he would buy not Ferrari - I never heard of such a prohibition so was intrigued.

IloveGT likes this.
  13. ferrariwithsnowtires

Dec 17, 2005
    There's no prohibition in the faith from owning something like an F car
    I would point to more of the personal thing about why would I get myself xyz instead of helping out folks who are doing without
    My thing is to keep upping my charitable donations as I add cars
    I just have to find a bigger garage, which has been easier said than done in Chicago

paulchua likes this.
  14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Yes, that's my thoughts as well, though take my recent banning as a warning we should probably steer away from at this point from even replying to the religion part of the OPs question.

Kind regards.

15. LoveChesed

LoveChesed Rookie

Dec 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I just went out last night with a friend in his Tesla 3+performance. He hit the accelerator (I initially wrote gas (!)) without warning me and it was SO FAST my stomach dropped and I felt queasy. I wish he warned me! The acceleration was unbelievable. Like dropping down a rollercoaster. Yeah the speed on that thing is insane. But agree who knows when they will be available. OTOH... any repairs will probably be more reasonably priced and more prompt. Decisions! Thank you all for your responses. They were very very helpful. And Paul I'm still not sure if I'll feel guilty about dropping that much money. I feel like there's the little angel on one shoulder and a little devil on the other!

Be well everyone and thank you for your help.

16. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015

hahahahahaha
    what a seemingly sophisticated troll.

wax likes this.
  17. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I think Paul always beats me in calling out a troll. Love it.

18. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Very obviously you have secondary gain to share your religious belief couching in the questions of car purchase decision in a car enthusiast forum. You did not ask a value question or mechanical question about the reliability of different car brands or models. You asked us a moral question to incite our own value system in hope that it will be guided by our own religious belief, which you surmised that it was long gone because we are not guilty of spending so much money on materials.

Shame on you on such tactics. What kind of answers did you presume we would give to your questions and what kind of pretentious BS is this? I am sure you are not some teenagers in a baseline, but seriously, why don't you spend your time and energy somewhere else, like helping fight human trafficking, organ harvesting, drugs or whatever causes that will benefit human kinds in some tangible ways. Yet, you are here to say you hope you are not acting holier than thou...

Please just buy a bike or use the legs God gave you to transport yourself, or use public transport. Your level of pretense is off the roof here.

Or just pay up and subscribe to the P&R section, preach there, and deduct that from your 20% donation allowance.

Please.

Nospinzone likes this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    A credit to you for wanting to do the right thing. I hope now you see why I earlier also said, may I suggest you figure yourself out first? After that, Then buy the Ferrari. I mean what good is it to buy the Ferrari but feel guilty driving it? Isn’t the point to drive in happiness, not regret?

20. LoveChesed

LoveChesed Rookie

Dec 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Hi. Oh yes I agree. There is no explicit prohibition and in fact the amount of charity I give allows me to use the remainder personal assets as I wish (in an allowed manner). In terms of buying the car or not I think it depends where you stand. For someone who gives an appropriate amount of charity, he cannot be criticized for purchasing such a car. For me and where I am now ... Well I am still torn. As you can see from my original (several) responses I hesitated to bring this up as I did not want to come across as a holier-than-thou jerk. Eventually I responded because Paul really wanted to know my concern. So I am still torn but I really appreciate everyone's responses.
    Thanks!

21. LoveChesed

LoveChesed Rookie

Dec 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Hi. Gosh I think you may have misread these posts. I was asked several times about why I hesitated to spend that much money on a car and demurred or deferred each time. Paul was genuinely curious and so eventually I responded with my concern. But if you read the thread I think you'll have to agree by no means was I eager to share the reason for my hesitation. In fact - if you read the thread - I knew nothing about supercars before asking my question and asked what would the more experienced people here recommend and why. Also obviously there would be concern about how much does it cost to maintain and repair. Not having a Ferrari and having no idea, and being resentful at how often my BMW was in the shop, I asked about that too. I think you are really misreading the whole thread and judging negatively. Really, read the thread from the beginning and you will see when it diverged into P&R territory. I only responded (and hesitatingly) when asked directly. I think you are being unfair.

22. LoveChesed

LoveChesed Rookie

Dec 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Hi. I think you may be misinterpreting. If you read the thread from the beginning you'll see. Regarding considering a Tesla Roadster vs a Ferrari - I suspect most people here have been car guys since they were kids. Posters on the wall etc. I was not. I like looking at beautiful things and appreciate excellence and so of course can appreciate what a Ferrari is - but I never had those posters on my wall as a kid. Now, looking at a supercar, I would guess that most of those kids (posters on the wall kids) lust for a Ferrari or similar ICE car. But surely - looking at the Tesla Roadster and just how fast electric cars are - surely you can appreciate that someone looking at dropping that much money on a car is going to look at all similar options and surely the Venn diagram of people considering buying a Tesla Roadster and those considering Ferrari overlap. I bet the people who loved cars since they were kids appreciate the history of the Ferrari and the feel of the ICE engine. But a lot of people looking at the F-car performance must be looking at the T-car (?) and vice versa. I don't think you have to be a troll to appreciate that. My two cents. Not a troll. Just someone looking at purchasing a Ferrari who really didn't know the first thing about them and appreciate the help from the people on this website.

23. LoveChesed

LoveChesed Rookie

Dec 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Actually Paul and I not only were going back and forth on this forum but PM'd each other when we thought the discussion was better off the forum.

paulchua likes this.
  24. LoveChesed

LoveChesed Rookie

Dec 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Plus terrified of getting a scratch on it if I use it as a daily driver!

paulchua likes this.
  25. LoveChesed

LoveChesed Rookie

Dec 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Hi. I agree. One of the reasons I hesitate (besides that which we are not supposed to mention!) is I had a BMW that was in the shop every month. I swore I'd never get a car that unreliable again so then got a Lexus IS350C. It is reliable. I love it being convertible. But man is it boring to drive. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. So I am scared of buying German again and having it end up in the shop all the time (I buy cars rather than lease.) If I bought German and it were in the shop all the time I'd feel like such a dummy. So here I am on this forum asking about the reliability of the F-car (sounds like modern ones are pretty reliable) but still comparing an Italian supercar with a 2023 (?) electric car - I have to believe maintenance will cost a fraction of the price on the Tesla vs the Ferrari and I imagine I'd lose less sleep on the former vs the latter.