Brand New to Exotics and thinking about purchasing... Don't know where to begin | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Brand New to Exotics and thinking about purchasing... Don't know where to begin

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by LoveChesed, Dec 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LoveChesed

LoveChesed Rookie

Dec 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Just FYI... Here is my original post...

Hi everyone.
    I'm not even a long time lurker. I just joined this moment and specifically to ask this question.

I was on Bogleheads (great website for money management) and a guy was debating whether or not he could afford a $100,000 car. He could but he was just trying to decide if he should. I started thinking ... hey, that's interesting. What would be a unique and fun car? Naturally Ferrari and Lambo (I'm not sure I'm allowed to use that word on this forum) came to mind. Of course in that price range the Tesla Roadster is a thought too. $200K seems too much for my stomach to handle though and so I was thinking used Ferrari between 100-200 but preferably closer to 100K.

When I was young I had a BMW 3-series also used and it broke down ALL THE TIME. It drove me crazy. So I vowed never to buy German again. Since then, and thinking about buying an exotic Porsche at least crossed my mind but still ... Porsche is beautiful and drives great but it's not unique the way Ferrari and Lamborghini are unique.

So as I started down the rabbit hole there are so many things to consider and it's not even that I don't know the answers - I don't even know the questions. In fact I don't even know where to go to find the right questions to ask.

My thought not to proceed was based on how expensive maintenance and repairs would be and so I thought maybe Porsche but the article I think in Jalopnik and the adventures with the Ferrari there he found it was no more expensive to maintain than any other German car.

In terms of further considerations - I live in Los Angeles, drive about 10 miles to and from work each day on the 101 in traffic. I would consider using it as a daily driver but I don't yet know for sure. I'm also not sure if I would consider resale value as I may just keep it as long as it does not turn into a money pit.

So as a complete newbie thinking Ferrari and Tesla Roadster... and looking to get closer to 100K rather than 200K ... How would you all recommend I look at the issue and how should I proceed?

Thank you all in advance!

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Oh, I never said or claimed you are a Troll. I respect the mods here, so they did the right thing. I believed you, in fact, that's why I even asked the reason for your guilt for buying a Ferrari. When you told me because of Judiasm, I should have stopped.

I fully admit, curiosity got the better of me, and you know what that did to the cat.

3. LoveChesed

LoveChesed Rookie

Dec 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Oh - no, I understand that. I appreciate our conversation. A couple other people called Troll and I think it was because they did not read from the beginning but rather only at the end.

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Well, as a long-time member and former mod, I can tell you their suspicions can sometimes be entirely valid. We get a lot of insincere virtual tire kickers. Folks who never or have any intention of buying a Ferrari (or any car) position themselves as such.

I don't know if it's the thinking that somebody has to own a Ferrari or be in the position to own a Ferrari to participate or a pure exercise in mental onanism.

I can tell you this community does not take lightly 'fakers' as it were. The main reason is we've seen in the past these 'poseurs" provide false or uninformed opinions and lead others astray. It's been constructive to identify and root these charlatans out as a service to quash falsehoods.

Kind regards.

IloveGT likes this.
  5. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    no, I read the the thread the first day it was posted, and even posted the popcorn post on the first page. Yup, I stand by what I posted. You may not think you are a troll, but I am calling you out and I listed my reason. No one here really care about you having guilt about having a Ferrari and having thought about Tesla coupe, and then proceeded telling us about its acceleration and such.

Paul's approach to troll is well known as a mod and I always enjoyed it. My approach is very direct instead. He enjoyed cornering the mouse by the mouse's own fallacy demonstrated in answering his perpetual logical questions.

If you are genuinely asking about your guilt, again pay up and subscribe, go ask the moral question in the P&R section, because your replies will inevitably involve your religion. Otherwise, stop. We don't need to think about all the poor and hunger when we are driving our cars. We certainly don't need that from you.

paulchua likes this.
  6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This is exactly spot on. I was the second person to respond to your opening post. I thought you were genuine and offered helpful advice about buying a Ferrari. The result from you, crickets. That alone told me that you are not genuine.

IloveGT likes this.
  7. LoveChesed

LoveChesed Rookie

Dec 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Actually Paul and I had a nice conversation part here and part via PM. He agrees there is nothing trollish about it and the venturing into P&R territory was simply responding to his questions. You can "call me out" but you are mistaken.

8. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    let this thread die.

My last post.

ciao

9. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    OP

This site is populated by many folks passionate about a brand that is all about passion, design, performance, craft, beauty lifestyle, the best that can be had.

If you bounce around from garnering input about getting into the F car world to ooh a Tesla is fast, that's not going to be well received.

Tesla is about tech and speed and taking e cars from sorry to wild. On the flipside, they lack craft, design (look at the sad fronts) wonderful materials, personalization, racing heritage, exclusivity, relationships with the dealerships, ok that's enough.

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    @LoveChesed I think the consternation is folks are having a hard time wrapping around their heads around why you still feel guilty? I thought we had settled that, even at the cost of me getting banned? (I don't blame you btw)

I won't go into religion again (I don't want to get banned again), what is the new reason for your guilt? Or maybe it's back to religion again? If so, I would agree with @IloveGT you may want to take this conversation to P&R.

Kind regards

11. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Is there really some reason you keep bringing that back up? It’s out of place here.

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #87 paulchua, Jan 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    Not sure if intended for me or the OP. If me, then the cart and Ferrari horse are mixed up. In all instances the OP brings it up (not me), first and second time (guilt from G-d).

I’m literally asking the same question as you. Put another way, you did exactly as I.

first time: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/148290231/
    second time: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/148305695/

13. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I don't get the hang ups on the guilt thing, but I just see it as budgeting. If you can't continue your monthly gifts/donations/tithe/whatever if you buy the car, then you can't budget it, simple as that. If you aren't making any, then you already suck so no guilt there :D.

paulchua likes this.
  14. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    People are complicated.
    For some folks, moving from ok car to super car is a big psychological leap.
    Then in this case, you have some let's call it community stuff.
    If many of your cohort are focused on having a lot of kids and a large subset of the cohort are slammed with the associated costs (and have to ask for charity to send their kids to the private faith based school) the guy with the prancing horse kind of sticks out.
    Some communities would like be on his case even more for charity and some folks have the hateraid out for folks with nice stuff (other than a fine home which is completely within bounds).
    I kind of feel the OP is more of a supercar tourist, enamored with the idea of fabulous vehicle but not all in.

15. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    For an enthusiast many of the perceived downsides of exotic ownership are easy to accept. I don’t mind the maintenance costs as I take pride in having a well sorted car. The impracticality is part of the fun, seeing how much we can fit into a tiny car for a road trip. The main downside for me is the attention they get, and trying to avoid letting my colleagues know I have them. This limits where and when I can drive them.

For a nonenthusiast, it is the opposite. The desire to be SEEN in an exotic has to be intense enough to overcome all of the many financial and practical downsides.

16. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Went down a rabbit hole and found this gem. This was a hilarious thread. I hope the OP comes back for more interesting car discussion

paulchua likes this.
  17. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
  18. Ivan Drago

Ivan Drago Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2021
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Ivan Drago
    Please let this thread die. I wanted to strangle that guy.

paulchua likes this.
  19. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Lol...

Some trainwrecks you just don't want to look away from

paulchua and Ivan Drago like this.