Brand new, waiting for a buyer | FerrariChat

Brand new, waiting for a buyer

Discussion in '206/246' started by flaviaman, Jul 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flaviaman

flaviaman Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Vernonia, OR
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #1 flaviaman, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just a bit a trivia...I recently received a new scanner and have been going through some old slides....

I worked for many years at the dealership in Seattle (Grand Prix Motors), here's a picture taken in the summer of 1974, the GTS was sold shortly after I snapped these photos....somewhere I have a photo of three new 246's in front of the dealership, when (if!) I find it I will post it.

Inside on the showroom floor was a used Daytona Spider for sale at $21,000!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Great pics!

Love the Alfas.

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    is that a Duetto I spot in the background? :)

4. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    pic in 1974, it's a Kamm tail.

5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    GR,

I recall that Boxer of yours and how striking it was on the road.

6. flaviaman

flaviaman Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Vernonia, OR
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Thanks..I was lucky to have a full Euro BB here in the States, and I was also afraid it's status may attract the Feds! It was too much car for Western Washington....

Glad to see you still have the Dino!

Cheers

Gregg

7. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    As a Seattlite (Ok, Tacoma... OK University Place :) ) - where was Grand Prix located
    at the time of these photos? Looks to be on Lake Union maybe.... do you by chance
    have an address from that time? They're now on 12th Ave. in a most boring location...
    not even sure if it's the same folks. I'd like to drive by and see what's there now....

Jedi

8. flaviaman

flaviaman Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Vernonia, OR
    Full Name:
    Gregg

202 Lakeside on Lake Union, now the building is know as Daniel's Broiler...original location was 150 Lakeside. Grand Prix (now Ferrari of Seattle as of August 1999) moved to 1401 12th circa 1976. The locations on Lake Union were quite splendid, one could fish from the back window of the parts department!

Cheers

9. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That's kind a what I thought...

I'll make a point to stop by Daniel's and try to get a shot something similar to the
    original.... (both numbers) - the 'new' location is BORING by comparison :D

Jedi

10. flaviaman

flaviaman Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Vernonia, OR
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Daniels is not my idea of a great place to eat, however I have killed a few brain cells there!

Cheers!

11. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    These pictures define "the agony and the ecstasy." The ecstasy speaks for itself. The agony is the fact that those days (and prices) are long gone, never to return! Fred

12. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    greg, i remember seeing my first dinos at grand prix , but it was not lake union but leschi on lake washington. wonder if you have an old picture of my dino, as it was sold may 24th 1974 from 202 lakeside ! (green gts tan interior) hope all is well with you. danny z.

13. flaviaman

flaviaman Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Vernonia, OR
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Danny:

Thanks for the correct re Lake Union / Lake Washington! I remember your car when it was "pino verde", Mogelgaard owned it then....I believe he bought it used from Los Gatos (though I could be incorrect). I'll check my "files" for a photo....Danny do you still have your Alfa?

Cheers

Gregg

14. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    greg, still have the 64 alfa , plus another 65 giulia spider as well. thinking about restoring the second one. it is pretty complete with no rust. my dino was bought by peter reisselman who was the original owner from grand prix (stamped grand prix motors in the owners service book may 24, 1974 ) mogelgaard was the second owner. i think reisselman then got a green boxer. are you in seattle area now greg ? could use some advise on restoring the alfa. danny z.

15. flaviaman

flaviaman Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Vernonia, OR
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I forgot about P. Reisselman, my apologies! You are correct, he did Euro delivery on a Pino Verde BBi with Crema interior, a very striking BBi.
    I'm in Seattle frequently, will send you a PM....glad you still have the Alfa's!

Cheers

GNR

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #16 TheMayor, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
    In 1974, 21 grand was a lot of freaking money. My parents bought a brand new 3 bedroom, 2 bath home on a 1/3 acre for $15K in Phoenix.

17. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Besides the concours winning '64 Alfa spider which was originally purchased by his family (and has always been in his family), DZ does have a VERY exciting spider that is all there and a great project candidate.

18. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#18 dinogts, Jul 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
    Gregg:

1. That is the Leschi Sailboat Moorage in the background just north of the building, and my sailboat is parked (and I MEAN PARKED) in the inside right hand corner of the moorage now.
    2. Is that a white Dino or is it silver? I can't tell from the photo. Any idea as to who bought it?
    3. Don't be too tough on Daniel's Broiler now, because, as you know the Daniel in Daniel's Broiler was/is . . . Danny Sandal (and/or his father from Danny's Meats), and the first owner of my Dino.
    4. Whatever happened to your Aston Martin, you know, the one that looked kind of like a Mach I Mustang (or maybe it was Boss Mustang)?

Mark

19. flaviaman

flaviaman Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Vernonia, OR
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Mark....

I was going to reply to your first three questions, until I read your fourth.....how dare you slander the products of Newport Pagnell, especially those made prior to Henry's takeover!

GNR

20. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    #20 2dinos, Jul 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
    Exactly!!

I wonder what the price was of the brand new Dino GTS?

21. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Might as well revive this 7+ year old thread!

22. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    mark , i have faint memories of looking through the windows of GRAND PRIX MOTORS down on leschi and seeing my first dino parked next to a daytona in the showroom , probably 1971 or so ! dz

23. Pantdino4

Pantdino4 Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim Oddie
    And you could send a kid to Stanford for $5,500 a year.

So figure $21K then was the equivalent of maybe $250K today.

But still a steal for a Daytona Spyder. :)

Jim

24. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I am calling 07942

Shawn

25. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

If you are referring to VROOOM's Dino, it isn't 07942 - VROOOM's Dino is 05954. It used to be Pino Verde originally when owned by Mike Mogelgaard, but VROOOM repainted it in Porsche's Guards Red, which was very well done, and it still looks great today.