News

Brembo 328 Gran Turismo Front Brake Kit

Discussion in 'MVPEurosports.com' started by RossoCorsaItaly, May 4, 2006.

1. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    EU
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I've recently spoken with Brembo and they will put a 328 Gran Turismo Brake Kit into production if we can get 6 people to put a deposit down.

The brakes will be 332x32 (13 inch brake setup, so you can clear with 17" wheels.) They will use a 4 piston brake caliper that will be available in red, silver, or black. The Ferrari logo can be painted onto the brakes for an additional $350 per pair of calipers.

The price will be $3,295.00 retail for the brake system. 50% deposit will be required up front, 6 people are needed to make this deal happen. I know alot of you 328 owners want an aftermarket brake kit, here is your chance to get one from the most reputable brake company in the world!

Post here with any questions or interest.

2. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Is that a typo???
    An additional $350 per caliper?

3. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    EU
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Per pair of calipers.

4. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Owner Lifetime Rossa

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    #4 Mike C, May 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'd STRONGLY suggest they be made like the 308 big brake kit so it will fit under the STOCK 16" wheels. That will really improve your market and ability to sell them.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    EU
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Mike,

Thank you for your suggestion what it comes down to is what Brembo feels will work best with the OE master cylinder, weight, and performance of the 328. A kit can be made to fit with the 16 inch wheel or a 13 inch kit can be made for 17 inch or bigger wheels. The reason for this thread is to see where 328 owners stand on this subject.

Regards,
    Kevin

6. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Owner Lifetime Rossa

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Which Hub? 328's use a 308 hub and a custom 328 hub for later cars. I am not sure if this will necessitate different brackets.

7. Auraraptor

Owner Lifetime Rossa

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I should probably add, at least my preliminary findings indicate that the 308 braking system is the same as the early 328 (Convex wheel cars). The later often termed "ABS" hub cars had a different design that may (most likely) would require different caliper mounts/brackets.

Also, is this only for front? Is a rear also going to a possibility? Can it be ordered? I hesitate in adding a stronger front while keeping the stock rear...

8. Bob@BremboRt

Bob@BremboRt Rookie

May 4, 2006
    The Brembo brake Kit Kevin asked about for the 328 will be decided by you the car owners. We can design a GT Kit specifically for your 328 Ferrari, old or new version, maybe both as we haven't looked into the differences yet. It will be the best performance for it's size, based on the dynamics of the entire vehicle. Front only or front & rear becomes an economic deicision for both you and us. Will you buy 17" or larger wheels? Does a more powerful master cylinder need to be installed? Can we incorporate the parking brake without extensive modifications to the car? How will the 328 market support the Kit costs with these other potential expenses?

That said, is there sufficient interest in the 328 owners for a GT Kit similar to the one for the 308, under 16" wheels and front only? Let us know.

As for the latest question, the front wheels account for ~70% of your cars braking potenial. Is accessing all that stopping force and no-extra rear braking bad? No, it means the car's braking performance is improved. It's like switching to race tires but, not changing the suspension. Adding coil-overs but, not changing the sway bars. It all helps the performance but, what is the cost for everything? Economics.

Brembo will only make a GT Kit for a vehicle when it significantly improves the braking performance.

Do you want bigger and better brakes on you 328?

Bob@BremboRt

9. Auraraptor

Owner Lifetime Rossa

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    In short, yes for all of the above for me. I already am running 18s.

10. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed Owner

May 28, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I am interested but I have some questions.

1) Are discs going to be cross drilled? Is there a way to get them with diagonal slots, perhaps, and not cross drilled?

2) Will the 13" brakes fit with all 17" wheels?

3) If I give you a deposit, how long until I get brakes? 4 weeks? 6 weeks? 6 months?

4) Will they really work on newer 328's just as easily as with the older cars? What happens if you get 4 deposits for the older cars and 2 deposits for the newer cars, will you still build for both?

5) Is that $3300 for front and rear?

11. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    EU
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    1. You have a choice of cross drilled or slotted.

2. I'll have to inquire further.

3. Once we have 6 people ready to commit it takes 6-8 weeks for R&D and production. So you would have the brakes in your hands in approx 2 months. Once the brakes are ready to ship the remaining deposit is owed.

4. No, it has to be 6 for each different kit. Too much R&D goes into each kit to justify making less than 6 at a time.

5. Front only, if there is interest in a rear kit, one will be produced.

12. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Stock rear (in the 308 here) is fine provided you uprate the friction coefficient of the rear pad. On that note, for the Brembo 308 kit and car here, use Ferodo DS3000 on the rear. Another option would be in using a lower friction coefficient front pad instead of a stronger rear pad...

Ok, the biggie... rear for 308 that includes parking brake. Not sure how the 328 rear differs, if at all, from the 308. Should we start a new thread?

13. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    EU
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Just so we're on the same page, you're interested in rear for the 308 that continues allowing usage of the parking brake? If so yes, please start a new thread in this forum and we can see how much interest we can gather.

14. MD/JD/IndianChief

Feb 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ozzie
    ... and 15 years later someone (me) asks... Did the Brembo special order mentioned in this post ever happen?

If "Yes", then I've got a some questions for those who upgraded to the 4 piston Big Brake setup.

These questions would be specifically for an 89 model year 328 GTS with ABS:

1) Did the Brembo brakes bolt on without any modifications? (or) Did they require adapter brackets?

2) Was it necessary to replace the stock wheel with one of larger diameter to fit the Brembo calipers?

3) Was the stock master cylinder adequate to operate the Big Brakes?

4) Did the Big Brake setup make any significant improvement over the Ate?

I would have sent a couple of you a direct message but I still can't see how to "start a conversation" with another user even after reading the post describing how to do it. o_O