Brian A – Four Years of 308 Ownership | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Brian A – Four Years of 308 Ownership

Discussion in '308/328' started by Brian A, Mar 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    People either just don’t remember or just don’t know that, without 308, there probably won’t be any Maranello factory today.

Jimincov, Jakuzzi, JuLiTrO and 3 others like this.
  2. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Well, yes, without the 308 there might not be Ferrari today, the same way there might not be a Challenger Hellcat today if it weren't for the Reliant K-Car back in the '80's. My point is that saving the company or not, the car has to stand on its own merits today. The 308 is a fantastic car to drive on the road and looks stunning.

3. Robert Jorgensen

May 14, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert Jorgensen
    I like how you say we are all a little misunderstood. That makes a lot of sense to me as to why I purchased a 3x8. Be against the grain but also be apart of something. I cannot tell you how much the car grows on me and others

It would be a lie to say Magnum pi isn’t a regularly watched show in my household but despite the show, the car is cool as hell. Something about that gated shifter...

Diehl Jones and Brian A like this.
  4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Apparently differing from many folks here, I have always enjoyed the association and the occasional "Hey Magnum!" comments. Got one at the gas station a couple of weeks ago that led to a fun/interesting 15 minute conversation at the pumps! :)

Calling it the K-car of Ferrari is cruel but accurate!

Robert Jorgensen likes this.
  5. daynyc

daynyc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2016
    This is the first time I have posted on FerrariChat. I am a longtime car enthusiast who has been fortunate enough to have a small collection of cars which I particularly like. I long admired the 308 and finally obtained one about nine months ago. Frankly, the only other Ferrari that is "reasonably obtainable" that I would want is a 330 GTS and I've learned that it's just too stressful to regularly drive, and park, $ million cars. Some time ago, a friend of mine sold his SJ Duesenberg, which he used to drive regularly, for just that reason.
    In any event my 1985 QV has lived up to expectations. So far it has been reliable and great fun to drive. It's a lovely car which can hold its own next to my 1967 E Type. Last winter I did a good deal of engine work and completely rebuilt the front and rear suspensions (I do the work myself). I look forward to further projects this coming winter.

6. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Welcome to the loonie bin!

Glad to hear the car is living up to your expectations. It would be great if you started your own thread to tell your story and show some pictures!

7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I'm pretty sure that every that sees the car was a far bigger fan of Magnum PI than I ever was... I mean - Magnum was a fine enough TV show, but there were other shows I enjoyed a lot more. Seems like I watched Magnum because we only had 3 TV stations, and the other 2 choices were something like ALF and Three's Company.

8. Robert Jorgensen

May 14, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert Jorgensen
    Nice to hear another one has joined the club. I’ve never before seen so many people willing to help or just have a good conversation than what is found in the 3X8 community. I’m sure everyone including me would love to see some pictures :)

308 milano likes this.
  9. daynyc

daynyc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2016
    Your friendly replies have inspired me. This forum really is the source of some very valuable information. I'll make an attempt to post some pictures of how the car now looks after my initial restoration work and now have a question.

The car seemed to be running fine. The only thing I did was, very gently, open the Digiplex compartment to peek at the boxes (which looked fine). Thereafter, at a stop the idle would drop down to around 600 RPM before going back to 1000 RPM and the car had less low end power. So I went back and connected some good new grounds to the Digi boxes. As a result, my idle was immediately much stronger, but rolling, and, although the car runs, low end power seems even worse. However, there is no backfiring, obvious missing, smell of fuel, exhaust smoke etc.

When I alternately pull the coil wires, each four-cylinder bank runs and sounds the same. I have done my research and realize, in theory, there could be scores of reasons for this problem. Coincidences do occur, but before I tear a bunch of things apart in phase two of my restoration this fall, I'm trying to come up with something that may relate to the Digi boxes.

If both banks run and rev fairly smoothly, I'm guessing the crank sensors are not the culprit. My next two easy things to check are the cold start injector and auxiliary air valve. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

10. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV

11. daynyc

daynyc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2016
    Will do. Thanks!

12. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    Such an awesome story, I'm hoping to do the same. I love working on cars and owning a 308 has been a dream of mine since I first saw one as a kid on Magnum PI :)

13. Fitz

Fitz Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Amelia Island
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Thanks for telling your story Brian I am sure it brings back many memories for all of us in the gang. It’s been over 15 years of ownership for me and it is more fun now than ever.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. Fitz

Fitz Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Amelia Island
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Thanks for telling your story Brian I am sure it brings back many memories for all of us in the gang. It’s been over 15 years of ownership for me and it is more fun now than ever.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Today marks 8 years of ownership of my 308. It continues to be a source of great friendship and adventure. I will say though that this past year has been different than prior years; a little less joy to the ownership experience.

I am someone who is cautious when making friends and the 308 crowd has always so welcomed me in. I dearly miss all of the breakfasts, Car & Coffees and other car gatherings that were cancelled in 2020. It has been a lonely year.

The car has betrayed me this last year too. Since I’ve owned it, I have lavished a ton of love of the car, but in the past almost all of it has been just preventative maintenance and restoration type work. This year though, there have been a few problems which were not “preventative” and needed immediate attention; my radiator developed a seep at the upper inlet hose area; the clutch on my a/c compressor started slipping causing the a/c v-belt belt to melt and cement itself onto the driveshaft pulley; my engine developed a small oil leak from the upper front bank. All not good.

And, even before Covid-19 stuck, I had decided that I wanted to back off cars a little bit and focus on other hobbies, so the car problems were not welcome. They were more frustrating than engaging. The radiator repair went fine, aside from the horrible time replacing the pup hoses underneath the front of the car and aside from my front lid unexpectedly jamming closed. I still am trying to figure out how to restore the a/c clutch problem (if anyone has an old York clutch they don’t need, please let me know). The car is back together but without the a/c compressor in place. No matter how hard I look, I have not been able to determine if the oil seep is from the cam seal or the valve cover gasket; either of which I dread addressing. I would normally ignore such a small oil leak except oil accumulates in a depression in the exhaust header which smells and smokes as the engine gets hot. I expect I’ll need to remove the front bank camshafts to fix the leak. Dread.

So, at this eighth anniversary, even though the car sits more needy than it has ever been, I still feel very fortunate being one of the lucky few to own such a rare car. It still feels very special. I still remain hopeful for the future.

16. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I guess this is my yearly check-in…

Today marks nine years of Ferrari ownership for me. I must cite the cliches about how time flies.

Unlike last year, the car has been great fun. Now that life is more or less back to normal, it has been amazing how many Cars & Coffees I’ve been to and how any event I go now there is always people I know and to talk to. The car is that figurative “vehicle” to friendship.

I participated in the Virginia City Hill Climb with the car again this year. "Brian Harper" also attended with his 308 so it was fun having another GTS in the mix. I needed new tires and bought some from Tire Rack in preparation for the hill climb. With global supply shortages, my choices were limited and I “downgraded” from tires with an UTQG of 180 to one of 340. I think I was actually faster because the harder tires made more noise as they approached their limit which inspired my confidence (the hill climb is not an event you want to go 10/10ths).

The car has had only minor glitches this year. When I came back from the hill climb, I discovered that a large hunk of aluminum on the dipstick handle had broken off and presumably is now in my oil pan. It had happened sometime in the 700 miles I put on the car, to, at and from the hill climb. People here reassured me not to worry. I had a bit of a problem with a misfire mid-year but otherwise I’ve just been playing with the car; adding a skid plate, a few doodads on the dash, and today, just completed installation of a Blaupunkt Bremen SQR 46 DAB audio component. And, yeah, I changed the oil(s).

17. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Today, being 3/08 day, I was reminded that my 308 and I celebrated 10 years together a few days ago.

I put a little bit less miles on it these last 12 months than past years; just a lot of travel and other non-car related activities.

Having said that, the 308 still is a joy to own and drive. I still smile when I look at it in the garage.

18. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    I, too Brian, still smile when I see her in the garage all insanely spoiled and ready to roll as work permits. She’s a happy place for me. The sweet sound of those Webers, the smell of gasoline, and that little V-8 with a smooth gated shift makes the efforts and periodic frustrations worth every damn second. Cheers.

19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Congrats, I am at year 9 with my first Italian exotic (not a Ferrari though). Unfortunately, I seem to drive it less as the years go by…..only 300 miles this year.

20. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My yearly mileage has gone down too because my speedo sensor only works about half the time now. I need to fix that, right after I fix the glacial speed that my passenger window goes up and down. I fixed the driver's side last year but it was such an unfun job I decided to wait until the passenger side stopped working completely - it's almost there.

21. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    I read through this thread not realizing I had obviously read it before since I replied and didn't remember that either.

Now instead of dreaming of owning a 308... I have owned one for the last few years.

But my experience is so insanely different from yours that it's hard to imagine (at this point) if I'll even enjoy the car?

First got the car, the seat was so close to the pedals I thought I wouldn't be able to drive the thing. Then realized the seat track was jammed because the person who had it before either jerry rigged the hell out of it himself, or had some other person do the jerry rigging.

Fixed the track so the seat would work. Finally got into it to drive it... wouldn't go into 2nd gear. Wouldn't go into 3rd gear. Wouldn't go into 5th gear.

Yay.

To make a very long story short, the car (which I was told ran perfectly and needed nothing) was so severely neglected that I had to have it flat bedded to a very experienced/expert tech who gave me bad news after bad news after bad news.

I have not as yet actually driven my car.

So I sincerely hope that one day I'll not look at this as one of, if not THE, worst possible mistakes I've ever made in my life.

But I still enjoyed your story, your experience sounds like the one I was hoping for.

22. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Who the hell did your inspection? They did a horrible job.

23. dyerhaus

dyerhaus Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2012
    Santa Rosa, California
    Full Name:
    Christopher Dyer
    And this is why the best advice I ever got was "buy the BEST example you can afford." Otherwise, you're looking at a world of hurt (as you have unfortunately discovered). Unless you're a seasoned mechanic (or extraordinarily proficient DIY'er) and have in-depth knowledge of the car and are looking for a project, I'd never recommend anyone buy a car that "needs work." I realize you were mislead, but I would have hoped a thorough PPI would have found all the stuff you are now finding.

I've had my 308 for almost a year and a half now, and it's been truly amazing. The mechanic who regularly serviced the car connected me with the seller, so I got pretty lucky in that respect as I already knew the condition of the car. I'm really sorry to hear of your experience as these are one of the greatest and most enjoyable cars ever made… you just have to get the right one! Good luck to you, I hope you get the chance to enjoy and love the car, instead of loathing the it.

24. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    No one, I stupidly believed the seller. Very expensive lesson learned.

25. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    Well.. I was looking for a project. Just not as big a project as I got.

I've never rebuilt a transmission before or engine, so if I were to do that I definitely wouldn't start on a Ferrari. Parts are just too expensive and hard to come by.

I've done pretty much everything else you can imagine on a car. But those two things... no.

dyerhaus likes this.