Briatore says ... | FerrariChat

Briatore says ...

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Oct 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    ‘Alonso will only return with Ferrari, Merc, Red Bull’

https://www.planetf1.com/news/alonso-will-only-return-with-ferrari-merc-red-bull/

Fernando Alonso hasn’t closed the door to F1 but only a “Ferrari, Mercedes or Red Bull” seat would entice him back says his manager, Flavio Briatore.

Although Alonso walked away from Formula 1 at the end of 2018, saying goodbye to McLaren, he insisted at the time that he could return down the line.

As such the Spaniard’s name pops up whenever a seat is open with many fans that he does return.

Briatore, though, says the driver is not interested unless it is with team that can fight for the Drivers’ title.

“Alonso back in F1? I talked to him about it,” the Italian told Rai Gr Parlamento.

“But he will only do it if he has a seat at Ferrari, Mercedes or Red Bull.

“If not, it doesn’t make sense. He wants to fight for the title.”

He added: “For his part, Alonso has never closed the door to return to F1 although he insists that the series remains the same as when he left, with too much dominance from Mercedes and little equality.

“He hopes that the situation will change by 2021.”

Pressed on a possible Ferrari return, Briatore says it would be good for the Scuderia but concedes that in Charles Leclerc they have a driver who could win the World title.

“If Fernando Alonso can return to Ferrari? If they want to win, yes but I believe Leclerc can win with Ferrari,” he added.

2. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Not Williams?

3. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    He doesn’t want to fight for the title, he wants an easy one, who doesn’t?
    But do they need him? I don’t think so. His baggage is the limiting factor. Lucky to be on Renault if offered.

4. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    In fairness unless a driver is in a RB, Ferrari or Mercedes there's not a chance currently they could fight for a championship, even a win is unlikely.

5. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Well, Briatore says things quite often.