“Bricked” SF90 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

“Bricked” SF90

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by gclemons, Jun 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gcsdave

Gcsdave Karting

Mar 30, 2011
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Got mine end November last year. Not much use early on as lockdown. Since April done 1800 miles not missed a beat. We went away for a week (possible with careful packing!) so wasn’t charged daily. No problem.

Boomhauer, of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  2. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Connector or some sort got loose. We don’t know what caused it or maybe it is like this from the factory. At least that is what we know now. Car will be here monday. Lets hope they fixed it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

furmano likes this.
  3. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    There are some threads in Silver that could use your input!

Glenn Quagmire likes this.
  4. BLUESL

BLUESL Karting

Mar 17, 2014
    London
    The SF90 is a technology test bed for sure. The La Ferrari is too far in the past to be especially relevant but you have to hope their accumulated experience with the SF90 will ease the introduction of the 296.

of2worlds likes this.
  5. jay55555

jay55555 Rookie

Dec 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jay Scanlan
    Collected my SF90 end of November 2021 owned the car 6 months .. however been back to the dealership three times already
    Interface for mirrors and lift had to be renewed , then went back as main screen went black ? lastly came back from a European trip whereby the car performed great .. washed the car when back at home and now its gone back to the dealership with more electrical and fuel injection problems
    not expecting all these problems with .. had enough of it now

6. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Man sorry to hear this, that is the worry with all the complex electronic. Hope it gets resolved once and for all.

jay55555 likes this.
  7. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    That's terrible, I hope it gets resolved for you.

jay55555 likes this.
  8. f12dream

f12dream Rookie

Feb 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    jason turner
    Here chiming in, mine got bricked yesterday, so this is what happened:
    I bought it and used it for literally 30 kms then parked it, 3 days later I noticed that the flashlights were on despite the car being parked in my garage
    So I took the key and locked it and they turned off but to my surprise they did this over and over and when I went to see what was up, then I got into the car and tried to turn it on and I had all sorts of errors in the dash, the hazard lights were flashing, the dash only had errors, all the lights on the dash were having a seizure

I tried to connect it and the power breaker would break, so I left it overnight with this issue of the lights being turned on by themselves and being so late at night I couldn't really call anyone or take it anywhere (not that the car would even turn on anyways)

So come the morning and the car is a brick, nothing works, not a single light nothing, so I used the emergency key to open the door, then open the "hood" and found under a flap with a screw the loops to open the charge port, I opened them and tried to plug it in but the charger doesn't charge, it just blinks with 1 light in blue meaning it knows the car is connected but it won't charge it (it would be 2 blue blinking lights)

So here I am with a 700k brick waiting for the dealer to call me to see what we can do and pull it out of the garage since the parking brake is engaged.

This happened after a whole 30km drive.

Before dying the alarm went off and the lights kept being turned on and off by itself. The dash had so many error messages that I can't even type them all and the side screens and even steering screens wouldn't turn on

9. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I’ll take a stab at this. Something similar to my Roma.

At a dealers cars n coffee. Left the car with open windows so folks could see inside but doors locked. Someone came by and asked to see the engine. So I unlock and open the hood. As we stand talking the car decides I am oo far away and locks the car so when I close the hood, the alarm fires off! I unlock and lock the car and the alarm squelches. Go back to the rest of the show.

Unbeknownst to me evidently the car goes into full power mode! All systems on with display. About 45 min later I return to leave and get in car and notice the dash is on! Try to start but no go. Power already too far gone. Really can’t stop it and shut down either. It won’t shut down at all. Windows stop working within minutes and car no longer even locks. Door remains open with no lock!

Fortunately the dealer management was there and helped out. Roadside could not send someone for 24 hours! Dealer brought a service tech from 30mi away to pick up the car and return to dealer. They recharged the battery over the rest of the weekend.

This seems to be a consequence of a drain on the battery, due in this case to car alarm firing off. And a bug in the software that cannot return to a low power state.

As the sf90 is of the same generation as the Roma architecturally, I imagine it has the same limitations. Also, Ferrari only recommends taking the car off the battery tender for less than 72 hours. And if the alarm has fired you only have minutes to resolve the drain!

SV

10. f12dream

f12dream Rookie

Feb 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    jason turner
    Ok I have a fix for this whole bricking thing without going to the dealer, you can actually jump your SF90, at the passenger seat where your feet are there's a metal plate with 2 screws that you twist by hand, if you pull both out and move the metal thing towards you, then you reveal the battery with the right side being the positive and the left the negative, from there you can jump the car with any battery booster or anything.

It worked and then I left the car on for like 20 minutes and then turned it off and I could charge it with the normal charger from there on, car is back to life.

pictures so you can see Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Maser GTS and of2worlds like this.
  11. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    ryalex likes this.
  12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The idea of Ferrari producing a hybrid when they are known to have an awful battery management system was enough to keep me from ordering one. Maybe the next version will be better.

Coincid and Marcel Massini like this.
  13. f12dream

f12dream Rookie

Feb 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    jason turner
    yeah true :/ I guess if anyone cares, the sf90 that bricked on me is being looked at by the dealer, for 2 days it had check engine lights and a scary message saying engine control system failure (or something like that) and now it doesn't charge the hybrid battery, the regular one works fine but the hybrid one doesn't charge with the charger, just while driving it

of2worlds likes this.
  14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Good luck to you, I hope it is resolved to your satisfaction.

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Damn, that's annoying.

Just curious, but does anybody know what kind and size low voltage battery the SF90 has? Do we have an AGM or lithium, and what group size is it? Wondering if we can change them for something better down the line like many of us have done on other cars.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Glenn Quagmire likes this.
  16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Any update?

17. sean711

sean711 Rookie

Nov 29, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Sean J.
    Having the same issue. My dealer and the Ferrari factory can't find a fix. Did you ever get this resolved?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. f12dream

f12dream Rookie

Feb 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    jason turner
    I did yes, and after the post I made, it happened again although it was slightly different, both times I took it to a supercar shop (not the dealership, an independent shop that fixes these cars) and they fixed it both times, the first time I had to jump it, the battery sits in front of the legs of the passenger, and it was still messed up to so I took it there and don't know what they did but they fixed it. They did tell me to take it to a ferrari dealership to get its software updated because there was a recall to all sf90s to update the software, and... I didn't do that, so it happened again although the second time the car would drive in electric but wouldn't start at all and had all sorts of weird errors, missing "buttons" in the steering wheel that sort of thing, at least it was enough to put it in a flat bed and send it to the same shop.

As far as I know what they do is pull out the starter battery and recharge it to full with a tender, then put it back in, because both times they've fixed it for me has been like $100 and it's been done in a day.

The problem starts by not having it plugged in 24/7 (try not to use an extension, try to plug the charger to a wall if you can) or daily driving it, if you do have it plugged in without skipping a day there will be no issues at all. I've talked to a few other sf90 owners and they've had similar problems except the one guy that daily drives his car.

Funfact: the second time it happened because I plugged it to an extension and the extension started burning despite being rated for 3500W (same as the charger). so I had to unplug it while I sorted out my garage situation to have a power outlet next to the car.

of2worlds likes this.
  19. JJ77

JJ77 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2020
    That sounds problematic.. i have to write that my experience is completely different with the charging/lack of driving. Sept 2021 Car updates 406 & 407 done, after driving, tender goes on immediately for about 90 mins, most importantly connect wall socket first then to the car, heard this consistently. After 90 mins I disconnect and once left the car for 6 weeks and started up straight away showing 74% battery charge. Then I took another trip and left it 10 weeks without charging and started up showing 46% battery charge. The only fault that has shown up in my ownership was E Latch Failure Passenger Side, which came up after the 10 weeks without charging period. Passenger door worked fine by the way but was fixed at Maintenance time.

j09333 and of2worlds like this.
  20. f12dream

f12dream Rookie

Feb 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    jason turner
    That's rather interesting, 10 weeks without a tender and the car started just fine? Mine does like a week and a half and it dies.

21. JJ77

JJ77 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2020
    Yes days short of 10 weeks, during the cold months of Late November December and January.. I know all about the week and half you speak about with my Piista.. do I not miss that Lithium Battery BS.

22. sean711

sean711 Rookie

Nov 29, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Sean J.
    Thanks for the quick response. I definitely have grounds to lemon the car at this point. However this doesn't make sense for me because
    A. I would burn my relationship with Ferrari and the dealer
    B. It would be financially more beneficial for me to consign the car, however service would still be dealing with the issue (assuming the car stays in town)

The car has been to the dealer 7+ times and Ferrari refuses to do anything but clear the errors and send it back to me. On Friday I picked up the car and left it locked overnight (unplugged). Saturday morning lights were flashing and errors displayed on the dash. Part of me wants to lemon the car out of principle. The other part of me wants to make the smart financial decision. Really disappointing to have to deal with this after spending over $600K on a car.

23. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Sorry to hear this.

Any touches such as audio upgrade or ‘blackbox’ camera installed?

Seems there are constant drainage of 12V battery for me.

of2worlds likes this.
  24. sean711

sean711 Rookie

Nov 29, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Sean J.
    No aftermarket upgrades or modifications whatsoever.

25. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Any suggestions from the dealer such as changing 12V battery?

Software update or not my 2 sf90 stayed without charge for weeks.

1st one went brick after powerwash and they reconnected wire tight in engine compartment because they found it little loose and no problem after this instance.

2nd one came with software updated already and it was flawless.

Another thing to consider is if battery charger is bad or outlet is bad.