Bridgestone S001 ok for 360 spider | FerrariChat

Bridgestone S001 ok for 360 spider

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by knocker, Oct 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Hi Ferrari chatters has anyone used these tyres on their 360 I've been told that I cannot put runflat tyres on the standard rims it's the rears I need at the mo or has anyone got a better suggestion ,suppliers in western Sydney brands ect .car used regularly at weekends softer compound preferred cheers Knocker

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Why would you put run-flat tires on an ultra-performance vehicle? The ride quality and handling are a severe compromise. You should also never mix tires front to rear. Especially putting run-flats on one end and regular tires on the other is a recipe for a handling disaster. Bridgestone specifically warns against doing this. Put four good ultra-high performance tires of one type on the car and then carry a good sealant/compressor system if you are worried about flats.

3. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    if you can buy Michelin pilot sport 4 in the correct sizes, you will be a happy man, but 360 tyre sizing is challenging.
    Good luck

4. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Thanks for the input mate all good info I appreciate it cheers Knocker

5. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Exactly, I wouldn't now but this is all quite new to me motob,I appreciate the input I am rather new at this and always appreciate the experience and learned common sense of wise and experienced members like yourself your input helping keeping me on the road rather than off .. cheers mate

6. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    The standard is to *not* use run-flats on a car without TPMS. You need the monitor to tell you when your tire loses pressure.

The stiffer sidewalls will compromise ride. The third generation run-flats handling isn't all that bad, but still not as good as you can get with max performance summer only tires.

I put 3rd gen Bridgestone run-flats on my EVO X, but as all-season tires, for use in the DC area where the roads are covered with tire poking debris. (And because removing the donut spare doubled the tiny trunk space.)
    But I still use max-summer tires on the Ferrari.
    (Actually, auto-cross tires, as it was nearly impossible to keep tires warm at all the DC traffic lights.)

7. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Thanks Dgs firstly what's TPMS sorry and the monitor where do I get one what is it ect bit green only ever owned Harley's and Hondas I'm in Sydney Australia I deduce your in sunny USA correct

8. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    #8 DGS, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    Sorry. TPMS: Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

The Corvette was an early adopter of run-flat tires, due to lack of space for a spare.
    That resulted in a mandate to have tire pressure monitoring when run-flat tires were used.

After the Firestone/Ford SUV rollover controversy, where low tire pressures were blamed, regulators moved to mandating tire pressure monitors in all new cars in the US (2007) and EU (2014) and Korea (2013).
    (I suspect it was also intended to expand the available market for run-flat tire sales, previously banned from cars without monitors.)

I haven't seen any indication of cars in Australia yet being required to include TPMS, but a quick web search ("TPMS Australia") indicates that there are sources for aftermarket systems.

Now that I'm away from the D.C. roads, I'm considering changing the EVO back to conventional tires, and relying on a 12v tire pump rather than a spare.
    (I've noticed that the run-flats lose pressure faster than conventional tires, which I suspect is due to the stiffer sidewalls.)

There are a lot of discussions on BMW forums, about converting cars that come with run-flats over to conventional tires.

9. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Cheers DGS interesting info thanks I appreciate that 275/40/18r all ty
    big effort DGS thanks for the info great read I'll be going with p zero non runflat s all round and a can of tyre glue cheers have a great weekend mate