News

British Airways 747 beats sub-sonic trans-Atlantic record

Discussion in 'AviatorChat.com' started by Ferrari27, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2010
    Solihull, UK
    Full Name:
    Robert
    A British Airways 747 has crossed the Atlantic from New York to Heathrow in 4 hours and 56 minutes!

All due to winds, of course, and not so good if you are travelling in the other direction as flights are taking two and a half hours longer!

Why can I never be on a trans-Atlantic flight that arrives 80 minutes early?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-51433720

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Saw this too on twitter today: (many tweets below the first one showing other flights and some speed stats):

Ferrari27 likes this.
  4. NYC Fred

NYC Fred Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
  5. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
  6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Don't like to be snippy but that should read as a Ground Speed of 825 MPH. My wife and I flew in a 747 SP from Heathrow that departed one hour late. The pilot came on PA and assured those on board that had to make connections in SEA not to worry. " This airplane can make up the time". It did, too, arriving at SEA right on schedule. I wonder how much time it would shorten up on the above mentioned flight. The SP could hustle. An ex-PAA pilot said that it flew like a big 4 engined fighter when it was light.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    They probably had to wait for a gate

Alcav5 likes this.
  9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Exactly! In 1990, I flew a BA 747 from JFK to Heathrow that had a good tailwind that made for a rough ride but put us over a London a full hour early! But then we had to circle overhead for 40 minutes because they didn't have a gate ready for us. We still made it to a gate about 15 minutes early, but most of the early-arrival advantage was wasted. At least we got some nice night views of the city as we circled...