British Countryside | FerrariChat

British Countryside

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Steelton Keith, Jun 21, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Hi everyone. As apart of our 50th anniversary trip we want to see some of England we have not seen previously...Oxford, Yorkshire Dales (York and Durham) and perhaps Liverpool. Driving (or trains if operating) next summer, beginning in Southampton in July or August. Have already had Harrogate recommended in the Dales...very pleased to have your suggestions and recommendations. Thanks, Keith

2. mrmicks

mrmicks Rookie

May 11, 2016
    If you're driving, and visiting Harrogate, then a nice loop around would be to head from Harrogate up to Leyburn via Masham, then across to Hawes, on to Ingleton past the Ribblehead Viaduct. Then back down to Skipton, via Settle, and finally back to Harrogate.

calder1 likes this.
  3. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Thanks very much indeed! Very helpful.

4. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    As long time devotees of "All Creatures" we want to visit Askrigg and have a beer at "The Drovers Arms" which I think is in a local Hotel ( different name of course). Have you ever been there? Thanks, Keith

5. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    This is on my bucket list too, but what I want to do is vist anything WWII related,
    old airbases or airstrips, nothing fancy, not even museum-type stuff, just to see
    what is left in real life, I know a few have been preserved...

6. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Whisky, you have t do the North Coast of Normandy. Also Belgium. In The U.K. there are several of these old air strips. I was fortunate to have played golf at Turnberry (prior to its current ownership). This great golf venue was a Royal AF base in both WW I and II. The hotel was a hospital. There is still a memorial there, and you can still see part of the old runway. For a great taste of WW II life, you can always watch Twelve O'Clock High for a similar then and now (contemporary to the film) airbase shot at RAF Barford St. John, near Banbury. Most of the movie was shot in the U.S. at Eglin, and when I was sentenced to 4 years hard labor at PNS (lived in Gulf Breeze) I tried to see it. Not much there

7. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    We are now booking our travel for late July next summer. We are starting from Southampton, then we are thinking Oxford, York, Durham, Dales, Lake District. Recommendations on high end/luxury boutique hotels/ inns most welcomed. I'm wondering if we should end our trip in Liverpool (never been there). Thanks in advance, Keith

8. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    We just got back from the British country side but we were quite a bit south of where you are going. We went from London to Cotswold to Conwy, Wales and back.

We did speak to a couple who were from the Lake District and they said it was beautiful and not as traversed as the Cotswold.

We also stopped by Liverpool. There is a layer of Beatle's Tourism which is a bit phony but the City was really cool and you can barely understand the local's accent. I would say well worth a visit.

I am not sure if you have been to the UK before but I would highly recommend a car.

9. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    How did you like Conwy ?

10. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    The town was ok. Nice castle. I wouldn't necessarily make it a stop though. The surrounding area and Snowdonia park was worth visiting for sure.

11. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    We used to stop there on our way elsewhere so never a planned day out there. Anglesey and Snowdonia is nice.

12. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Planning two nights Oxford, two nights York, and a night or two Liverpool. Have several more days and nights to fill. Happy to have recommendations on private ( 4 hours or so) guides in York and Oxford. 4 or 5 star lodging suggestions in Dales / Yorkshire also welcomed

13. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Steelton Keith likes this.