British Countryside

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Steelton Keith, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Hi everyone. As apart of our 50th anniversary trip we want to see some of England we have not seen previously...Oxford, Yorkshire Dales (York and Durham) and perhaps Liverpool. Driving (or trains if operating) next summer, beginning in Southampton in July or August. Have already had Harrogate recommended in the Dales...very pleased to have your suggestions and recommendations. Thanks, Keith

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. mrmicks

mrmicks Rookie

May 11, 2016
    If you're driving, and visiting Harrogate, then a nice loop around would be to head from Harrogate up to Leyburn via Masham, then across to Hawes, on to Ingleton past the Ribblehead Viaduct. Then back down to Skipton, via Settle, and finally back to Harrogate.

calder1 likes this.
  4. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Thanks very much indeed! Very helpful.

5. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    As long time devotees of "All Creatures" we want to visit Askrigg and have a beer at "The Drovers Arms" which I think is in a local Hotel ( different name of course). Have you ever been there? Thanks, Keith

6. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains aka Nebraska
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    This is on my bucket list too, but what I want to do is vist anything WWII related,
    old airbases or airstrips, nothing fancy, not even museum-type stuff, just to see
    what is left in real life, I know a few have been preserved...

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Whisky, you have t do the North Coast of Normandy. Also Belgium. In The U.K. there are several of these old air strips. I was fortunate to have played golf at Turnberry (prior to its current ownership). This great golf venue was a Royal AF base in both WW I and II. The hotel was a hospital. There is still a memorial there, and you can still see part of the old runway. For a great taste of WW II life, you can always watch Twelve O'Clock High for a similar then and now (contemporary to the film) airbase shot at RAF Barford St. John, near Banbury. Most of the movie was shot in the U.S. at Eglin, and when I was sentenced to 4 years hard labor at PNS (lived in Gulf Breeze) I tried to see it. Not much there