Broken Dreams: The Boeing 787 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Broken Dreams: The Boeing 787

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Jet-X, Sep 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You may like to argue, I don't find it one of my great joys in life. I have no expectation of changing your mind nor do I feel the need to try. I expressed my opinion, you expressed yours, I am very sorry if that is not sufficient for you. Not only that I have experienced the closed mindedness of you and your countrymen enough for a lifetime.

Thanks for the offer.

2. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    I like the 787 - it is nice and quiet. My current favorite is still the 747-8 - what a plane!!

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Brian,

I genuinely think we have got off on the wrong foot here. I'm not at all trying to argue. The only point I have is that I have found no proof yet that the 787's battery issue has been resolved sufficiently (I really am a chicken when it comes to flying and think aircraft designers should not take safety risks at all). As I am a New Zealander I would like there to be a 100% solution as I have a soft spot for my country of births airline. They have already lost one plane I don't want them to loose another.

And I work in IT and I think you and I are on the same page when it comes to computers having too much control. IMO a human should always be in control. For a long time I used to be nervous getting on an AB plane, and while the A380 dramas seem to have been resolved would not be happy getting on one at the moment. Still too early for me.

Anyway I'll do some research and post back anything useful that I find.
    Pete

4. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech

Pete,

I don't recall any 787's having the battery issue while flying, all where on the ground.

I think Boeing would be foolish to release a fix for a grounded fleet that they where not as sure as they could be that the problem was solved.

But the one thing we can all be assured of is that at some point all mechanical or electrical systems designed and built by man will at some point have an issue through mis-use or unforeseen design problems. All we can do is take all reasonable steps to stay safe.

The first step IMHO is to say off the A380 and if possible any AB product. I've said it a hundred times but I will repeat it...The reasons I wont fly AB are the same I don't drive a French car...

5. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    #105 bjwhite, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    ...but wait. There are many awesome French cars. Don't confuse Airbus with general "French engineering".

I have a whole list of French cars that I would LOVE to own and drive every day. In fact, I daily drove a 405 Mi16 for 7 years. Not all French cars are Citroen SMs.

6. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Proof:

1. It's no longer grounded and hasn't been for over a year;
    2. No hull loss for any aircraft;
    3. 183 deliveries of aircraft CURRENTLY FLYING (181 787-8; 2 -9s)
    4. No recent incidents in the air relating to battery issues;
    5. No recent incidents on the ground relating to battery issues;
    6. No cancellations from airlines or recent groundings for the 787.

Look, there is no certainty that will likely satisfy you. The only certainties in life are death and taxes (and yes, I'm sure you don't want to die by battery fire).

If it were 20 aircraft flying, I'd be highly skeptical like you. But nearly 200 aircraft are flying (with arguably 300-400 flights per day), and no airline wants to be associated with an aircraft loss. Especially one relating to a design flaw that could have been prevented. Airlines would likely cancel or continue to defer their orders if they felt the plane wasn't safe.

2 years ago, I'd agree with you. Today, it's hard to argue that the aircraft isn't safe.

BTW - forget the 787 batteries, do you honestly realize how many lithium batteries are onboard every single flight of every single aircraft around the world every day? With nearly every passenger carrying a cellphone, and then adding in laptops, video cameras, and other battery devices. All of those items have had runaways in the past, on aircraft no less. The 787 is the least of your worries I think.

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    That is a very anti-French post. They really do make great handling cars.

One 787 had to return to the airport due to smoke by the way.
    Btw:
    Now this very well could be out dated.
    Pete
    ps: I do understand the proud support of Boeing, but if you read the history of the 787 it is not exactly the same risk adverse company anymore. Talk to Bob Parks on this site.

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Only 8 months ago ...
    Never thought Boeing would have a review of the design of one of its products. Very sad.
    Pete

9. Gator

Gator Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 29, 2006
    Mesquite, NV
    Full Name:
    Darryl Van Dorn
    I really should let Bob respond in relation to Boeing Commercial Aircraft as I am from the Space and Missile side. Design reviews are a way of life in the aerospace/aircraft world. There are so many before you go into production it's mind boggling. They are internal, external (customers, both commercial and government) and sometimes independent. You should get a warm feeling from all the different design reviews not....."very sad."

10. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #110 Spasso, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    1) Originally Posted by Boeing 787 Dreamliner battery problems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    On January 16, 2013, an All Nippon Airways (ANA) 787 made an emergency landing at Takamatsu Airport on Shikoku Island after the flight crew received a computer warning that there was smoke inside one of the electrical compartments.[9][10] ANA said that there was an error message in the cockpit citing a battery malfunction. Passengers and crew were evacuated using the emergency slides.[11] According to The Register, there are no fire-suppression systems in the electrical compartments holding batteries, only smoke detectors.[12]

2) Originally Posted by http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_787_Dreamliner_battery_problems
    In January 2014, a battery in a Japanese Airlines 787 emitted smoke from the battery's protection exhaust and partially melted while the aircraft was undergoing pre-flight maintenance. The cause of this latest incident remains under investigation.[16][17][18] Soon after this incident, the Guardian noted that 'The agency [US Federal Aviation Administration] also launched a review of the design, manufacture and assembly of the 787 in January last year and said its report would be released last summer, but it has so far not released the report and has not responded to questions about when it will be finished.'[19]

NO NO NO. PERIOD.
    Regardless of the cause, mitigation of the occurrence is NOT a solution to the problem (building a containment structure around the battery).
    On the ground, or in the air, It should not happen at all, ever.

It doesn't take dead people to see that there is a problem here.

NO

11. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #111 Fast_ian, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    Agreed. I'd get on one, maybe with crossed fingers, but I'd go.....

I'd also (and have), flown on Airbus'.

It seems to me that AB are somehow held to a higher standard, "if it ain't Boeing, I ain't going" etc.

They're both building airplanes that are pushing the envelope, but the 'hate' towards AB here makes no sense to me.

That's BS, and I'm sure you know it!..... My camera battery is not being constantly charged. If my laptop overheats, I unplug it. The airplane keeps flying....

OTOH, these things are critical to the airplanes systems. They get into a runaway situation and *very* bad things can happen. Further, my understanding at least is they're constantly being what we'd call 'trickle charged', and that's been shown to lead to problems. They go tits up and it *could* be a lot more serious than me not being able to watch a movie on my iPad or receive a text message....

+1000 right there!

And it does seem that's what they've done. :( [mitigate it, not solve it I mean.]

Again, I'd fly one, but then I'd fly AB too..... Chances remain, even on the TUV I referred to earlier, that it will make it to the other end..... Still more likely to get killed in the shower.

Cheers,
    Ian

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Thanks; our government should then write your name on the waiting list for an official award. We also have great trains...and some of the french aeroplanes were not / are not that bad, and customers are satisfied: Dassault comes to mind, but there are others.

As for cars, I'm prejudicied towards italian ones; but Citroën is "different", as, precisely, they have always wanted to be. This is still considered as a dividing line here: either you like these, or you don't. I don't: back in the sixties when I was a child, the DS was the only thing on wheels that made me sick.

And, as Fast-Ian was writing, should one want to live adventure in an aeroplane, he should have tried the russian aeroflot on their "inside network" until the nineties; I have fond memories of a Moscow to Astrakhan flight on a Ty-124 (or was it 134?) with a group of drunk russian fishermen...

Rgds

13. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Also meant to note that said batteries aren't all wired together...... In the scheme of things, they're all teeny little power supplies.

The batteries in the guts of the plane OTOH.....

Cheers,
    Ian

14. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Bon jour, nerofer, et merci. I've owned two Peugeots, a 403 when I was doing graduate law studies in Paris in the early 1960's and a 505S station wagon that I got in 1983 and ran for ten years and 250,000 km, both of which were trouble-free. I also had the pleasure of flying in a Caravelle back in the late 60's, entirely comfortable from passenger viewpoint and I recollect trouble-free from airlines' viewpoint. So why the francophobia? I dunno.

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Thanks for the kind words, but no worry, I’m not hurt by “francophobia”, it is his right and privilege, no problem. And if he was thinking of Citroën, well frankly I’m not overly fond of these either.
    I see that you followed the example of the late, great Phil Hill, who always had Peugeots for Daily Drivers during his time in Maranello…
    I did fly in the “Caravelle” also, but only briefly, as I began to travel for my job in 1986 and these were on the verge of retirement by “Air Inter”; but I recall the extraordinary gray haze the Air Conditioning was venting in the cabin when the aeroplane was still on the ground.
    I do like to fly in “exotic” aeroplanes whenever I can, and was very sorry when Aeroflot finished to replace all those glorious Tupolevs and Illyushins with bland western aeroplanes which doesn’t have, for instance, a glazed nose. The only place where I am rather lukewarm towards some elderly airliners are some countries in Africa where not only the airplanes are rather antiquated, but their maintenance is “somewhat deferred” also...

Rgds

16. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Do I need to cite the number of cargo aircraft that went down with batteries as the incendiary source? Batteries that weren't wired up and charging? Batteries that as cargo caught fire in the pallets they were carried on? I could cite instance after instance here.

BS? What do you think contributes to thermal runaway?!?!?!? Overheating!!!!

Again would you like me to cite mobile phones and laptops that have caught fire or melted onboard commercial aircraft?

You do not want a fire, even from a mobile phone, inflight at 34,000 feet. Fire can spread. There have also been a number of incidents with portable electronics that haven't been logged.
    Don't fool yourself into some false sense of security that a laptop battery can't catch fire/explode and then spread onboard and bring an aircraft down. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it isn't impossible.

AIN Blog: Battery Incidents Abound, But Not All Involve Lithium-ion | Aviation International News

17. DrDon

DrDon F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 11, 2012
    Infractionville
    Full Name:
    Armando Decredenza
    #117 DrDon, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I wouldn't put much weight in anything aero which comes out of any of the countries in the ME.

Here is the flight crew from the UAE demonstrating what happens when you throttle up a brand spanky new fly-by-wire AirBus when in a taxi area. The computer thinks the pilot is an idiot (good assumption) and releases the brakes.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Sure. But there's a *world* of difference between a pallet-load of them in the cargo hold that haven't been packaged properly and a few hundred passengers individual cell phones.

Sure. And simple physics, let alone the evidence, tells us they're a lot more likely to overheat when being used, cycled & charged deep in the guts of the plane. Which AFAIK don't even have fire suppression systems in most cases(?)

My iPad overheats in the passenger compartment, we can pour the gin & tonic on it. OTOH, if these things go crazy *inside* their little battery bunkers, we won't even know until the box melts!

As Spasso noted, all they've done is try and mitigate the problem, not solve it.

And how many resulted in the airplane crashing? (I'm talking about in the passenger compartment, not 100's of them in the hold of course.)

Cheers,
    Ian

19. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Was the root cause of the fire in the UPS 747 crash ever established? Just wondering, I've never read anything specific.

20. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Good question. I thought I read 'they' decided that was the root cause, but could be wrong(?)

I still maintain that using & charging them, even inside little metal boxes, is much more dangerous than having them simply 'idle' in the hold.

I'm also certain that if it were AB in the same situation, the howls of 'mitigation, they should solve the problem' would be much louder.......

Cheers,
    Ian

21. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Not packaged properly? Have you done enough research into lithium-ion batteries to know packaging is only one possibility to cause fire? The actual chemistry itself is often the issue (but not the only cause), which leads to overheating, which then leads to thermal runaway.

This explains quite a bit about the construction:

Lithium-ion Safety Concerns ? Battery University

My point = it's not always "poor packaging" that leads to battery failure.
    Good luck with that...the battery in an iPad is sealed..and pretty damn water resistant.

How many 787s have crashed? Remember there are nearly 200 flying.

Yes.

Crash investigators trace UPS plane fire to batteries

UPS 747 Crash Highlights Lithium Battery Danger | Flying Magazine

22. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Just to be clear my query was in regards to how the batteries that caught fire were packed as being the root cause.

I recall that JAL had issues with the batteries prior to the fire incident, as in an abnormally high replacement problem. I also recall that maybe non-standard usage, at least in regards to the how the designers thought they would be used, may have been a contributor (deep cycling followed by immediate high rate charging). Likely that Boeing revised the procedures for running off the batteries.

23. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    Really an "anti French post" from and Englishman...better get a support group going...LOL

Nothing to do with being "anti French"

I've been there hundreds of times, lovely place, and I have lots of French friends, just an issue with their engineering and work practices in general that's all.

I wouldn't drive a British car from the 70's or 80's for same reason....I guess I just don't like anyone....

24. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    True, but it's only fair to note that the article you quote also mentioned a 1 in 200,000 failure rate.... And they've improved since then too.... May not be sufficient for use in critical aircraft systems, but in a laptop? No big deal IMO.

Oh come on! Even I know not to pour alcohol on a fire! ;) I was being a little facetious, my apologies you didn't get it. My point was that even with hundreds of passengers carrying these devices they're not constantly catching fire. And certainly not on airplanes. If they're in the hold they're not being charged either.

OTOH, that these things are buried deep inside the plane, now in metal bunkers while still being charged/discharged, in some cases I presume *hard* is *much* more likely to cause failure than some random laptop overheating. And they're running the airplane. My laptop isn't!

Again, that's true, but seems more out of luck than good engineering solutions to me so far. I don't know the stats, but I do know "more than a handful" at least have diverted and/or been lucky on the ground.

I'm with Spasso on this one - They've mitigated the problem, not solved it. And that's worrying. As I said before, I'd fly one, but again, this 'Boeing can do no wrong' attitude, particularly when coupled with 'all AB planes are an accident waiting to happen' attitude I find somewhat silly.

Would never have happened in Bobs time!

As always, my 02c,
    Cheers,
    Ian

25. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #125 Fast_ian, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    :D We *love* each other really! ;) [I'm heading there next year for my youngest's wedding. Should be great!]

:)

Hey! I grew up with those cars! (Quite a few older than that! :eek:). Other than that they tended to rust into the ground, they didn't often catch fire or shed wheels! (I've had both! :))

Seriously, were American cars of the same era any better? [Edit; I mean, we know they didn't have brakes or turn corners after all. ;)]

Cheers,
    Ian