Broken Windshield [damn!!!!] | FerrariChat

Broken Windshield [damn!!!!]

Discussion in '308/328' started by pgarossino, Nov 17, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pgarossino

pgarossino Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2009
    Houston Tx
    Full Name:
    Paul G.A. Garossino
    I was on my way to meet a friend in town and took a windshield hit on I10. I heard it hit, don't know what it was that hit me, but it gave a big star right close to the mirror.

On the next bump it ran all the way to the top and half way down the windshield....CRAP!!!

So I have an 84 QV and wondered if anyone who has been through this can give me a heads up on where to get a windshield, who to do the replacement etc.

Still bummed in Houston,
    Paul

2. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ouch. My condolences. I don't have any leads for you but I suspect you really won't like what you find.

3. Ron S

Ron S Karting

Nov 20, 2006
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Ron Scarboro
    Open wallet, dig deeeeeeeep!

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I use Heights Glass for all mine..see Doug the Owner.

I believe it's Pilkington Classics that's making the 308 glass now...

5. pgarossino

Nov 19, 2009
    Houston Tx
    Full Name:
    Paul G.A. Garossino
    Thanks BigTex,

I'll follow up on this immediately.

Paul

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sorry it happened....my Trans Am gets one soon too!!

That's a huge piece of glass there....

7. pgarossino

Nov 19, 2009
    Houston Tx
    Full Name:
    Paul G.A. Garossino
    Thanks.

I'm pragmatic about it. If I didn't drive the car I wouldn't have to worry about such things. It is a pain, but it is way more fun to be actually driving the beast.

Too bad I live in a place with such nasty roads. The amount of debris flying around our local freeways is horrifying. My paint has taken a real beating over the last year as well. Of course some of that was my Toronto trip in the summer.

I guess that will end up keeping a high end paint shop in boat payments before too long :)

I called Height's Glass and they will happily install the windshield when I find it.

FoH lists it at $1118.00 but of course doesn't have one. They are looking though.

Pilkington is closed at the moment. I have a call in to them and will let you know how that works out tomorrow.

Ciao,
    Paul

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There's a Binswanger on Ella just North of the Loop 610 also, good guys there too.
    Across the street from the Taco Bell...

Of course if either of them magles the delicate mouldings you can add another $1K, you better get your insurance on the phone.....

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My daughter called complaining of a flat in her new tires, I said: "Well, you have put a NEW nail into your new tires.."

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I once had a loose semi truck wheel bolt flung up at me, thankfully it dented the hood, the wiper arm and then cleared the roof of the Ferrari.........it awoke Valeria and she sleeps like a rock.

I could see it glittering at night, as it tumbled in an arc towards my head....

11. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You might be in luck - Just saw that T Rutlands has one - $750. Its avail via e-bay or I'm sure you can just them up and ask about it .... hope it works out for you!

12. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    THough I have no personal experience, a friend with a Mondial had a windshield replaced in his office parking spot by one of those "come to you" installers. Took them a few days to get the windshield but he had no problems at all and he said it was around 1800 USD a couple of years ago. Don't know if that was a good or bad price and he didn't either but he was OK with it. Also don't know if the Mondial/308 windshield is similar.

13. shawxhurst

shawxhurst Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Steve Hawxhurst
    Bubba Massa

14. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Make sure you check your insurance policy; you may be covered for the replacement ;-)

15. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George
    Ebay has some used glass from time to time. I'm not sure if you want the original or not. They are very costly.

Ace

16. pgarossino

Nov 19, 2009
    Houston Tx
    Full Name:
    Paul G.A. Garossino
    Thanks,

I'll take a look.

I would really like to get original glass. I live in fear of a replacement windshield that is optically messed up. I had experience with an Alfa GTV6 windshield [similar size and shape] where the replacement was like looking at a circus mirror. All kinds of odd out of focus areas etc.

Also my original windscreen has a green sun tint near the top. I wonder if that will come on a replacement glass.

I am going to try to get the original Ferrari decal with the car's particulars off the window intact so I can install it on the next one. Anyone know if those are available. I am going to start looking for that tomorrow.

I imagine within the next few days I will know most of the rest of the story, unobtanium or otherwise.

Thanks again for your posts.

17. SBrooks

SBrooks Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2009
    Bend Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sam Brooks
    Windshields at Italiancarparts.com.

Part #
    Model

Price
    FRGLS197 250 GTE 2+2 PF Coupe $1,475.
    FRGLS199 250 GT PF Coupe $1,450.
    FRGLS206 250 GT Lusso, Clear or Green Tint $1,625.
    FRGLS296 275 GTB Coupe, clear or green tint $1,429.
    FRGLS224 330 GT 2+2 Coupe, clear $1,429.
    FRGLS319 330 GTC Coupe, clear or green tint $1,475.
    FRGLS330 365 GT 2+2 , green tint $1,795.
    FRGLS555 365 GTC/4 $1,795.
    FRGLS556 365 GT/4, green tint $1,795.
    FRGLS557 512 BB/BBi $1,849.
    FRGLS000 Dino 206/246 $1,679.
    FRGLS970 Testarossa/512TR single antenna $1,899.
    FRGLS978 400i/412 $1,850.
    FRGLS979 Mondial $1,349.
    FRGLS558 308 GT/4, green tint $1,389.
    FRGLS998 308/328 $1,389.
    FRPG998R 308/328, rear window, polycarbonate $499.
    FRGLS999 348 with antenna $1,649.
    FRPG999R 348 rear window, polycarbonate $699.
    FRGLS800 F355 with antenna $1,699.
    FRGLS800R F355 rear window, polycarbonate $649.
    FRGLS600 456GT 2+2 with antenna & Ferrari Logo $2.249.
    FRGLS600 456GT 2+2 aftermarket $1,475.
    FRGLS5501 550 Maranello $1,995.

Posted em all just so you can see about what they all run.......Scary thing is shipping, that can't be pretty.

18. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear about your windshield. I had to have mine replaced recently, too. My replacement is by Triplex (which is essentially Pilkington now, I believe). It is high quality, the fit is perfect, and it has the blue band at the top. The only difference (other than markings) is that it has a black perimeter like most modern windshields to hide the urethane. I'm very happy with it -- no "fun house" distortion at all. :)

I would only have the glass replaced by a place that specializes in restoring old Ferraris/Maseratis/etc.; I want the removal and installation of the trim to be done by someone who has done it before! (Modern car windshields just have a black rubber push-in trim -- no alloy pieces. . .

Best regards,

Tony

19. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    #19 Jdubbya, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
    The trim can indeed be the tricky (and if screwed up most expensive) part of the remove and re-install part of this job. The trim can be taken off if the sealant is pretty old. If someone "fixed" it it may be harder to save it.

For the glass try:

Pro Source Glass
    1-877-345-2800 or 978-975-5400

http://www.prosourceglassintl.com/contact.html

Good folks to deal with and when I bought mine a fair price. Of course that's been a few years back!!

John

Oh and I've dealt with the folks at Italiancarparts and they are decent folks too but don't count on them having what they show on the website.

20. pgarossino

Nov 19, 2009
    Houston Tx
    Full Name:
    Paul G.A. Garossino
  21. pgarossino

Nov 19, 2009
    Houston Tx
    Full Name:
    Paul G.A. Garossino
    More good news.

FoH gave me the number of Silmar Auto Glass who does all their glass. Thats both Ferrari and Maserati. He comes to their shop and does the installs. I have a call in to him at the moment hoping to get him to come to my shop and install the piece.

Again, I'll keep you posted as things progress.

Paul

22. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Good info all around.

PDG

23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I LIKE it!!!! LOL!

If it had made it thru the front windshield, I'm sure it would have been a mess!

24. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    #24 CliffBeer, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
    Best to get ORIGINAL/OEM glass rather than aftermarket crap. OEM glass is available with some looking...but it is expensive, about 2-3X what the aftermarket crap is. The OEM glass is much better glass and substantially more resistent to chipping and cracking than aftermarket (which is pretty junky). Plus, with OEM replacement then you never have to have a prospective buyer of your car (when/if you sell it) say "the car doesn't have original glass so it's worth $X,XXX less...."

If you're trying to get your insurance to pay for this then you can anticipate a battle with them. They'll tell you to get the (junky) aftermarket glass installed and will balk at paying for OEM. But, frankly, if it was OEM glass that broke then you should get OEM glass put back in. After all, you insured a ferrari with ferrari parts installed, not a ferrari with hyundai parts. You watch, it'll be a battle. Good to cc: your State Insurance Commissioner on all communications with your insurance company.

Good luck!

25. pdmracing

pdmracing Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2007
    atlanta
    my GT4 windshield went last Easter when my cousin slammed the door(his kid has a fatal brain issue so I didnt have the heart to tell him it was him & really seamed insignificant in the scheme of things)
    I had it replaced before in 1987 with no issues.even used the same trim.

NOW??? I have been quoted 2k for the glass, 2k for install. no regular glass place will touch it. I had it glued & it helped stop the spread so far. Ill leave it alone for a while. Was also quoted $1800 for the trim. so 6 k+ for a windshield on a 20k + - car.

BTW I own a few large named insurance agencies, good luck with your OEM claim. Read your policy , there is nothing that says you get oem anything unless its specificly stated. If the manufacturer is required to stock parts for 10 model years, what makes you think you can require the insurance to replace with oem on a 30 year old car? You get what they can find & its your option to pay the difference. Most large reputable companies will specify OEM for 6 model years.

Ill check with Haggerty on monday to see what their exclusions are.

BTW unless you are dealing with an independent agency, cc: an attny or commisoner does nothing but get a chuckle. We have thousands of lawyers on staff with absolutle nothing to do but bust your chops.

Here is a inside tip: Think of your adjuster as an IRS agent. They get yelled at all day long, so threats get you no where. Most actually like cars. Treat them like you want them to help you, I call it the Columbo close. If you are not getting what you would like, be patient, ask nicely, & wait until the end of the month, then nicely say, I know you dont have the authority to go any higher, who do I need to talk to to help me.

I do this every day & I routinely get 20 to 40% more per customer than they thought. Also remeber everyone is on an end of month cycle to settle the claim. The more time you take the better.