Bubbling paintwork .... corrosion ? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Bubbling paintwork .... corrosion ?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by captaind, Feb 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jordie999

jordie999 Rookie

Jan 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Justin Kay
    i live in the UK

2. KristofBelgium

Jul 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    Kristof Huet
    Looking at a 2011 Italia, Is corrosion a difficult / expensive thing to fix ?

3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The factory applies certain coatings under the paint as I remember. It's difficult to duplicate those at your local auto body shop. Also, depending on the body color, it can be difficult to match the color when you re-spray. Usually even small repairs require fairly large panels to be re-painted. Metallic colors are especially difficult to perfectly match, due to the angle at which the metallic flake lays down.

Unless you have some level of experience with body work and/or painting cars, I'd suggest you consult a professional body shop. Even sometimes small areas that "just need touching up" can require fairly extensive labor and work to do correctly.

Check out LNC collision's YouTube channel; he does great work on exotics and you can see how extensive some of the paint and body work can be when repairing car:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPf4jHW3UeGWw-rhb2cQADw

Ray

Rexcat458 and KristofBelgium like this.