Bue, Bye 355? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Bue, Bye 355?

Discussion in '348/355' started by johnk..., Jul 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Move on the 355 if you no longer luv it.

C8 just less hassle ,especially as time goes by. Don't wait another 10 years !

2. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    John, what you experienced was Vette drivers doing what most of us Ferrari drivers don't do, enjoy driving their cars. There are a lot of local clubs that sponsor such events. The Vette drivers are not obsessed with keeping the miles down on their cars for valuation purposes. My son and I went to the East Coast C8 reveal in Atlantic City this past weekend and you should have seen the "mosquitoes" all over the place.:) Oh and by the way, if the C8 is like the previous generation, the service requirement is basicly 10Qts of Mobile 1 and a filter annually (generally around $100 at your friendly Chevy dealer) and for us OCD types (ie, not GM required) flush the brakes every two years as well as change the trans/dif fluids.
    As to Eric's "fill in the blank adjectives" for Vette drivers, you should see what the Vette drivers use for us over on the Corvette Forum (you have two F cars so you must have lots of gold chains).:) I'm lucky because I have both so I get called a lot of "colorful" names.:) Will I be giving up my Ferrari for a C8, no way and you can count on it.
    PS I think I have you beat on your 308 maintenance. I'm in the process of my '63 Vette's first ever "engine out". The old girl needs a little "freshing up".

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

Like you post. I've been through the follow the leader thing with my Miatas. I don't mind meeting people somewhere but I'm not into trains. I do drive my 355. Almost every weekend we do 100 or more miles. But I want to drive the roads I choose at the speeds I feel comfortable with. If I want to get together with a bunch of Ferrari guys, that's what Sunday morning C&Cs are for. :)

A 355 really doesn't required anymore maintenance that a vet. People just get carried away.

4. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Funny unfortunately there are a lot of corvette owners out there like that. Why? Because everyone can afford them. Over my lifetime I have seen all kinds of folks driving vettes that I wouldn’t associate with. I don’t particularly care for the vibe that this car gives off. But that’s my opinion others may just want a cheap fast car. I had the zo6 fully loaded with the track package 100k With 650hp. I would never buy an entry level corvette.

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  6. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I cant compare two cars more than 20 years apart. They tic very different boxes.

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

Cars are cars. You get in, you drive them, you compare point to point. :cool:

8. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    No kidding....This place is in desperate need for people that actually know what they are talking about.

carnutdallas, johnk... and emac like this.
  9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Well, today I drove up to MacMulkin to see the C8. First of all, it was the worst presentation of a new car that I have every seen. The car was just placed on the showroom floor and people who wanted to look at it just crowed around the car, and there were a lot of people there, a LOT! It was impossible to get any idea of what the car actually looked like as there were humans crawling all over it, like bears to honey. I didn't bother to get in the car as there was too long a wait and people, while polite, were just crowing into line. There was zero organization to the reveal. IMO, the car should have been roped off to keep people away from it so the entire car could be viewed, and they should have let small groups of 3-5 people at a time up close. Or they should have had 2 cars, one cordoned off, the other for close up examination.

For what ever reason they chose to exhibit an orange car. Wasn't terrible, but I think the car would have looked much better if shown in a metallic deep read or gray.

Overall, from what I could see, the car doesn't look too bad. The much belied rear end looked much better in person. The front end not bad, but the car appears pretty wide and the nose is short, making the nose look even shorter. The top was off. Would have liked to see it with the top on. Again, two cars would have been better.

Like I said, I didn't get in the car so I can't speak to ergonomics. Interior didn't look bad but I didn't care for the style of any of the available seats (displayed separately). However, seeing others sitting in the car it seem crowded with each occupant in their own cocoon.

One other thing, with the rear deck up the engine compartment looked poorly finished.

Over all I'd say for an opportunity to get a feel for the car the trip was a waste of time. At the same time there was nothing I hated about the car, but also, nothing the knocked my socks off. It looked pretty much as what you would expect of a new Corvette, regardless of where the engine was.

Cars should be at dealers by December, but they will all be preordered cars. Backlog looks like 3 years before you could go to a dealer and jump in one to test drive.

Would I swap my 355 for one. NO! Would I consider buying one to add to my stable? Probably not.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

On the other hand,

11. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    That C1 is gorgeous. And everyone there is ignoring it. :(

12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Love the front end. I bet it drives amazing but I sure hope they did more of a high quality interior and not lots of plastics and hideous dash.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I saw the C8 last weekend at the ALMS race at Road America. I was prepared to like it but I was not that impressed.
    It looked like a poor Ferrari or Lamborghini imitation. The back end looked way to busy. Ugly exhaust. The wheels looked small even though they are 20's. the car was a champagne color and the other was a powder blue which did not help.
    The carbon fiber and engine surrounds looked cheap. It lacked the mean look of a C7 Z06, or F12, La Ferrari.
    Hopefully there will be a Z06 with more aggressive look.

14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

Not me! :)

308 GTB likes this.
  15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I really agree with a lot of your comments here. Same presentation issues in LA but our was a more attractive metallic blue

In fact I'm buying a C8 and NOT getting rid of my Alfa 4c.

Its replacing my Mini S as a daily driver. I think that's a pretty good swap! :)

16. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky

:)

17. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    That is the same car they had in Atlantic City that I saw and I agree with you that carryover color from '19 is not my favorite. The one thing they couldn't tell me was if that particular car had the optional engine dress up kit. If it did I was disappointed because I guess I am spoiled by how wonderful the Ferrari engines look in the newer models with the engine windows. Being a Corvette person from childhood I would like one but there is plenty of time to allow the feeding frenzy to subside. Don't be concerned about being able to test one or get one because GM didn't start a second shift training program at Bowling Green last month to limit supply (they built more than 40,000 the first year of the C7 with one shift). I read yesterday that the dealership you visited today has an allocation of almost 1,200 cars for the first year.

18. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Looks like the standard package. The other packages would have either a red or silver center engine cover. Wonder if this is an engine out service? :eek:

19. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Talked to Corvette engineer. He said some things require engine out. No service panels on firewall

20. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    GM charges by the job not by the hour. So if then factory says its $700 to pull R&R a motor and the dealer takes 15 hours its still $700.

21. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Why is it either or? I put my order in for a C8 Z51 in rapid blue. I'll put about 10k miles on it then rip the interior out and weld in a roll cage and go racing. I have found no tin-top car better than a vette for racing.

22. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Funniest thing I heard all day...

Robb

23. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Unfortunately there are a lot of corvette owners of that caliber out there. Thata part of the prestige of being part of the corvette family and culture. No thank you. Got rid of mine.

24. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Thank you Ryan for getting rid of your Vette and not associating with those people anymore, we don't want your type. Takes a special person to dig open a three month old thread to disparage another owner group. Below are two photos of a Vette meet this past Saturday I participated in that included over a 100 Vettes and 1200 toys raised for kids this Christmas with not one Ferrari in site. Think I'll keep hanging with these people.

carnutdallas, kenneyd and Qavion like this.
  25. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Don't think he meant anything by it more just tribalism. Pretty sure Vette guys say the same thing. No... I know they do actually even worse. Vette guys are fine some great some douches, Ferrari guys are the same. Its a people issue not a car issue.

As far as not a Ferrari in site of a Vette event, sure not different than no Vette sin Ferrari event. Ferrari owners do lots too silicon valley chapter raised over $1MM. Vette clubs hardly have a monopoly on philanthropic activity. People like giving back its not a people thing not a car thing.

That video of making fun of vettes was actually making fun of people who make fun of vettes. Its all in good fun. There is room for us all.