Buffalo Grove Indoor Karting in March | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Buffalo Grove Indoor Karting in March

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by tifosi12, Feb 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Sounds good to me........ (8->}

2. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    OK guys, I spoke with Rebecca today and here's the scoop:

Renting out the entire tracks costs more than I remembered--$1400/hour for the shorter track, $1600/hour for the longer one. Unless you've got a company writing the cheque, it still doesn't make financial sense for what we want to do. She said that the best thing to do with a group of 8 or more is to make a reservation and that we could just call at 9am the day of. Otherwise, with fewer racers, we can just show up.

Before we commit to a date, here's a little something to consider; the Enduro that they're having on March 28 sounds pretty cool. It costs $300/team, with a minimum of 2 drivers per team, maximum is for the team to decide. There's a 20 minute warm-up, and the race is 1 1/2 hours long. Plus, they use both tracks combined into one (about 3000 total feet!) with 20 total teams. There's probably a prize--I didn't ask--but bragging rights are all we care about, right? I've got a couple guys at work who are definitely in for this, so give it some thought.

Now, I'd probably be more than interested in a practice session, and if we go on a weeknight remember that after your initial $25 race, each subsequent race is only $10. Pretty good. They open up at 4pm on weekdays, but at 12pm on Fridays. Discuss, and let's see what everyone's thoughts are.

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks Jack. Any word about your charity idea?

I'd like to hear what people think about the day (weekend vs weekday evening, Saturday amongst ourselves vs the Enduro).

Personally I'd still prefer our own event on Saturday. For one it is a smaller group and easier to run our own competition. Second financially I still think we're still slightly better off with paying for two or three individual races: Assume an enduro team of 5, that would give you 15 minutes of race time for about $ 60. The thing that speaks for the enduro is the event itself and the length of track. I guess we could form about 3-4 teams.

So what does everybody think?

4. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    We're going to do a team of 3 most likely. I figure 30 minutes of driving will suffice. I definitely like the idea of the big track! As far as our get-together, I'm open for anything. I do have some block-out dates, though:

3/2-3/7
    3/29-4/4
    But don't schedule it totally around me.

Here's what she said about the charity idea. She really likes it, and in fact they have been talking about the possibility of just such an event. However, "not to sound cold-hearted we've been too busy making money to even think about it"! Her words. Wow. They were thinking of looking more into it this summer, when they expect business to slow down some. She welcomed any ideas and input, and she liked the idea of a racing-themed auction. So, in a nutshell, it'll probably happen, and she said she'd talk to me more about it down the road.

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well, I posted a poll in a separate thread. Please vote and we'll take it from there.

If this is going to be fun (which it looks it will), we could probably repeat this sometime in the summer. Racing auction sounds great too.

6. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    For the endurance thing....
    sounds like lots of money, so we need lots of people.
    I belong to the Lotus Corps, the local Lotus group (imagine that!). They are a great group of guys, lots of wrenchers. Maybe we should try to set something up with them. They have well over a hundred members, most living within a 60 mile radius. Most of them LOVE to race.

BTW, you should all check them out. Probably the cheapest club to join ($25/year). Lots of cool events, including a track event 5/17 that is VERY reasonable. They accept all comers. Last years track event had at least as many non Lotuses as Lotuses (M3s, Vettes, miata, etc...), this year they will add my 308 to the list ! Tempting to bring the S1, but... NNNAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

if any of you want to come out to the spring tune up 4/25 in Elgin, come on by and meet some of the guys. Last year one of the guys brought his 328 and we changed the oil.

http://lotuscorps.home.mchsi.com
    [email protected]

7. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    I'll be there. It sure will be great to get behind the wheel and cut loose, after such a long winter even though it's not the F-car.
    Dave

8. dsweet

dsweet Rookie

Feb 23, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Has a date been decided from the poll? I just found out the 25th-28th is a blackout for me.

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    SATURDAY, MARCH 27th at 2pm

10. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Now you guys realize that I will be spotting everybody 100 or so pounds...

I don't think that I will be keenly competitive (8-(}

Hell, I don't even know if I'll fit in the damn things !!!

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    In my younger years I was contemplating go kart racing as a hobby. However once I realized how competitive the field is and that your body weight is half the total weight, I kinda gave that up real fast.

True tall and heavy boned guys have clearly a handicap.

12. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Sheesh Billiam, at your age (Billiam just turned 50 on the 9th of March), I don't think you're in any condition to do a kart event!

Have you joined AARP yet?