Bugatti 100T | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Bugatti 100T

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Bob Parks, May 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

You wouldn't have flown willingly in a Bell P-39 Airacobra or P-63 Kingcobra in WWII, I guess.

Much, much larger engine, prop and longer driveshaft...

Maybe that's why we gave a lot of them to the Russians.

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The driveshaft from the engine to the reduction gearbox on the P-39 and P-63 was straight through with no CV joints. It was huge in diameter and there was never a problem with them that I knew about. The Russians loved them because they were used as an extension of the Infantry and used them for tank busting and strafing.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Believe it or not, the P-39 and P-63 were very successful in air to air combat for the Russians. A common old wive's tale is that they were used only for ground attack. One reason for the aerial engagement success is that most of the engagements were at fairly low altitude, where the Allisons worked very well.

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Absolutely! Alexander Pokryshkin, the second-ranking Soviet ace (59 confirmed kills) preferred the P-39 and got most of his kills while flying it.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks Taz and Jim. I knew that they were a successful fighter at the lower altitudes. I was pointing out that they also liked its use as an arm of the Russian army...sort of aerial artillery. I watched many P-39's at Sarasota Airbase during the war in 1942 and they obviously demanded careful airspeed monitoring when they were in the pattern and landing. Some of the guys flying them at that stage of the war were not the best material and occasionally abused the AOA and speed. They could drop like the proverbial streamlined brick.

6. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Chuck Yeager has a chapter in his autobiography about his affection for the P-39 going back to his intermediate training days. For one thing, he claims that it was an outstandingly stable gun platform - and Yeager always said that marksmanship was more important than aerobatic ability in combat flying.

He did mention the military humor about the P-39: "If you crash one of these, you are going to get ALLISON stamped all over your butt".

WilyB likes this.
  7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I knew a P-38 ace who trained with Yeager on P-39's in Tonapah, Nev. and he said that it was a good little airplane and purposely tumbled it just for fun. He told me about shooting up the town water tank in a P-39 by mistake one day. Later on he shot down 5 FW-190's in less than 10 minutes.

8. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Bob!!! Shot up the town water tank - BY MISTAKE???

I can just hear the little post-flight briefing on that one...

BTW - when such a man can shoot down 5 FW-190s in a single mission with a P-38, I am reminded that Yeager was right...it is more about aiming the guns than it is about flying the world aerobatic championship.

9. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I can't verify the story but there is no reason to now. The man to whom I refer was returning from a gunnery practice and making mock runs on things. He came over town and drew a bead on the water tank and pulled the trigger. The arming switch that he thought was turned off was not. The 20mm cannon had one round in the chamber and he nailed the wooden tank dead center. When I asked him what he did, he said that he made a 90 deg. turn, hit the deck and made a low level high speed run in the opposite direction and then came in quite quietly and heard about somebody shooting up the water tank. I have found no reason to doubt this story because Larry was not the average fighter pilot. I have told his story in my book and I have seen his photos, medals, and have flown with him. In telling me how he shot down 5 FW-190's in such a short time it sounded more like gunnery and split second responses from peripheral vision. He loved a good fight.

WilyB likes this.
  10. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Damn straight, Bob.

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The bug aircraft is a thing of beauty, but you have to wonder. In the 30's through 50"s there was a very different concept of safety and risk, so if no one was willing then, you have to be kinda nuts to try fly it now. I mean in the 30's you found people wanting to fly a Bee Gee.

One big difference the motors used now must weigth 100's of pounds less, which shoudl make things a little easier. I assume there are some Rc models flying, so at least there is some theory to it working. Even if it does fly, i imagine its going to be tricky and not beningn near the edge.

12. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    He told me how he got the first victory. When he entered the fight, he arrived after a long shallow dive from several miles away. When he arrived he was below 2000 ft. and " I caught an FW in the corner of my eye coming in from the left and I gave a burst. As it crossed in front of me it disintegrated and I had to fly through the debris." He then went into a series of loops and shot down 4 more. He said that his airplane was covered with damage from flying through "so many pieces".

13. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Given the bike engines have integrated gearboxes, and the Bugatti's gearbox looks like it's running about a 2:1 reduction, it seems like a combination that could be very workable.

14. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Try Gee Bee... for Granville Brothers. :)

The Bee Gees were something else entirely... for Barry Gibb... :) :)

15. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
  16. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I thought Dave Morrs was signed up?

17. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I don't know - it was said partly in jest.

I still think it is just asking for a serious incident at the very least.

18. LakeFlyer

LakeFlyer Rookie

Oct 15, 2014
    You need to mix rudder and stabilizer like as V tail. Need to use 3 servos for rc airplane. In real model this system is more complex with one par of cable for rudder and other for V-tail mix with links like as bonanza V-35

19. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
  20. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
  21. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    RIP. Very saddened by this news. Pretty amazing effort. Labor of love. Hope family will be ok.

22. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I don't want to sound coarse about this endeavor but it never looked right from the beginning. It was more of an artistic expression than a serious aerodynamic design. It never would have been a successful airplane much less a fighter. Sorry that someone had to die in this reincarnation. My thoughts.

mike01606 likes this.
  23. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    As with the cars. Art over Engineering.

24. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008