Buick Regal Grand National purchase | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Buick Regal Grand National purchase

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Michael B, Jan 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FordMan

FordMan Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2013
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bobby R
    Congratulations Michael! What a great story and such a nice classic car for your collection!

2. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #52 Michael B, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thank you Bobby. Its here as of last night.

I only had a minute to inventory it so that did not pan out, but I will soon. I drove it about two miles & I will say its boosting way too much ~ and its sideways at any speed as they say in the GN world.

More soon!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I need a moment.....

4. redline76

redline76 Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren V
    Something most people never think of is: where did the design come from?

Rewind to 2008 and I was working as a marketing consultant onsite at Toyota. Somehow for two years years I had lucked into designing and managing the OEM SEMA builds for Tundras and Tacomas and was asked to build two prototypes for Tundra special editions to be shown at the national dealer meeting. One was to be a street performance truck, the other an off-road edition. Internally, I gave them code names of Road Warrior and Rock Warrior, and the idea was to create something mean, monochromatic, and distinct. I could get into the whole story, but that's for another time. The point is that the packages needed bed decals and somehow the Rock Warrior name stuck (The Road Warrior was trademarked and became TRD Sport).

Well, one thing led to another and I was put in touch with Molly Sanders, of Molly Designs. A nicer guy you couldn't meet; I liked him instantly. When I showed him the monochromatic black Tundra, he smiled and said: "You know, that reminds me of a package I once did for Buick. Ever heard of the Grand National?". As a car guy, I replied in the affirmative and he then proceeded to tell me the story of how the concept came to life. Needless to say, Molly Designs did the bed decals which you can see on the TRD Sport and Rock Warrior Tundras from 2009-2013.

Molly was also responsible for the legendary Kawasaki green, and the iconic yellow/black Yahama stripes from the same era, among other things. I suggest you google him; he had a very interesting life but has unfortunately passed away.

It's amazing, we see these designs everywhere, but in the beginning it's usually just one guy with an idea that magically comes to life and becomes the property of all.

Warren.

5. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I think I recall that when watching "Black Air" the documentary about the GN. There were three 1st renderings of the then project. A red one, a two tone one, and a all black one. Obviously we all know how that panned out.

I luv design & have a lot of respect for those who do it right. We have a automotive designer on this forum who brought us quite a few stunning shapes (the AudiTT was/is his). He hangs out at the Porsche subforum.

6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I just saw one down in Bonita Springs at a dealer with super low miles like 1400, maybe 700 kinda forget, but it was really low if anyone interested. Gulfcoast mortosports IIRC

7. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    That is a GNX not a Grand National so there is a HUGE difference..1987 Buick GNX #227 Bonita Springs, Florida | Gulf Coast Motorworks

$140K, don't get me started.

8. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
  9. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well... Them there are fighting words where I come from.

Why dont you keep thinking that - then in five years or so check the market again. You may understand the interest by then.

On another note. I have gotten a inventory together (small bits I want changed or cleaned up) yet still have not driven it (lots of snow & salt now). But video clips of me laying blocks of rubber down is inevitable. Stay posted.

10. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    <laughing>

11. TurboRegal84

TurboRegal84 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2007
    Southern NJ
    #61 TurboRegal84, Jan 21, 2016
  12. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thank you sir. Welcome back into the club you mean :) (great pix btw)

So here is the deal... I have plenty of cars that peeps may think are more "collectible" or perhaps interest them more... But let me say that when I pull up to a gas station in my Stradale, or 930, or Vintage tangereene short wheels base Porsche, or my RS striped up early 911 etc... No one will dare acknowledge that I am even there (which many times suits me fine :) !). But with the Grand National - 90% of the stops you make become rap sessions. Everyone is your pal & each one of them has a GNX story (like I said most people think they are ALL GNX Buicks). And I too have a ton of stories that I like to tell.

These cars are ingrained into society as an epic modern muscle car. And most everyone has a sweet spot for them in their memory. This was/is the Hellcat of its day. Fondly remembered by the up & comers who will want to experience that memory - over & over again.

This car is a win.

Buy rubber futures my friends ~ cause as soon as the salt is gone I am about to put a run on the tire market.

13. TurboRegal84

TurboRegal84 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2007
    Southern NJ
    You hit the nail on the head...everyone has a story about these cars and the fact that they are so approachable is great!

Make sure you have a good scantool (Scanmaster 2.0 or something similar) before getting into it. These cars if not tuned right can create too much boost and that's how you blow headgaskets.

14. emcauto

emcauto Karting

Jul 1, 2009
  15. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Videos are coming... I had mentioned that it was making a lot of boost (really a lot) and found that the wastegate valve was not acting correctly, so I will tend to that 1st before burning anymore rubber.

In the meantime I have found that its pretty darn solid. No squeaks or rattles. Goes down the road just like I remember. Gets the looks too (silly people, its just a Buick right?). The exhaust hearkens back to the eighties for me. The fat steering wheel, the hood bulge and black out treatment... Even the floor shift automatic.

This is a fun ride.

16. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Your WG spring has expired, in my opinion and experience, but you should be able to find a spring kit, usually w/3, so you can adjust. The good thing is that they are easy to swap, have you thought about the BOV as well? I ran a T66 on my '92 MR2T and it was a learning process.

Looking forward to updates.

PS, I would also consider an accurate boost gauge as factory boost gauges have been known to be off by 5+psi and an extra 5+psi could be..."Hello AAA!" Ask me how I know.

17. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Oh i found the issue. Actually the puck & sleeve are stuck within this cars downpipe. The wastegate rod attaches to a small arm that is supposed to swing with the wastegate action. But the valve (puck) wont move. It remains closed. This will really bring up the boost! Its a common Turbo Buick issue ~ I have found out.

The car has an A-pillar boost gauge for additional boost confirmation. It is what alerted me to the spike as the factory digital gauge stops at 15-16lbs.

This is no biggie. It is nearly funny how cheap parts are from my perspective (Ferrari/Porsche world). And you can nearly fix anything on this car with hand tools.

Takes me back to my youth.

18. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #68 Michael B, Jan 28, 2016
    Here is my culprit. The frozen wastegate puck.

I am going to press it out and replace with a better unit. The new ones are a little larger & have better sealing ability ~ allowing for a better boost punch.

I am headed for the 24 hours of Daytona so the fix will have to wait for another day!

19. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    That is your waste gate valve and the seal's are wasted. A port and polish would be a good idea as well as the spring selection and a dyno session.

20. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hey I appreciate that.

This is a little different though my man. No seals, its just like a cylinder head with a valve stem, driven through a "valve" guide. Metal to metal, with corrosion in this case. The puck you see is pivoted towards a valve seat (if I may) and held by the actuator rod (no spring to select). Then of course it will only release off of that seat once the wastegate actuator pushes it off to do so. The actuator is working well, and I have it set (adjustable rod) for the boost pressure action that I am looking to achieve. (The original actuator was non-adjustable). But I have to replace that puck 1st of course. That requires pressing out the pivot through the stuck guide - then sliding in a new guide & pivot.

My 930 has the spring choices for the wastegate (external gate) like you mention but this Buick is set up a little differently. Just what you would expect from a domestic! :)

21. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg

You are correct sir, I went newfangled vs oldfangled ie internal vs external WG. What I do like is that such items are easily swapped (try bending over a MR2 for the time it takes to swap the turbo - murder it is). Cool deal that you have an adjustable actuator arm.

22. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Anyone else used to blow off the intercooler pipe under full throttle? The original rubber hose connectors would get really flimsy when hot, and the clamps lost their grip.

23. GG Allin

GG Allin Karting

Nov 11, 2007
    #73 GG Allin, Feb 6, 2016
    I owned a 87 Regal Turbo T back in the 90's. With just a chip, cat bypass and slicks that car was a beast. I'd like to find another one at some point. A WE4 car to be specific. Here's mine at Byron back when I had it.

24. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yeah mine did that.

One time it let go under big throttle with me on the nitrous. That led to a big 'ol upward dent smack dab in the middle of the hood. I pulled all the nitrous stuff off - clamped on the stock pipe and drove to the dealer. They said "yeah we see this now & then" and replaced my hood.

I got better clamps after that :)

25. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Oh & here is an update on mine...

I found the replacement wastegate puck available through a few vendors. I ordered it up before the Daytona 24 but when I asked that vendor if it had shipped yet (once I returned) the answer was no. So I am getting it from another vendor.

Anyhow I drove it today to my workshop & unbolted the down pipe to find that the last bubba style wrench who worked on it thought that welding the exit of the downpipe to the converter was a good idea (plus the clamp). So tomorrow I am cutting the welds & removing said clamp so I can pull the pipe off & then press out the faulty puck & guide.

I also did a number of other things ~ and have plenty more to come.