Building a kit..... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Building a kit.....

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Kami, Dec 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Roadtripguy

Roadtripguy Karting

Nov 26, 2007
    NOTHING is too valuable to drive on the street or track. A 250 GTO is a BLAST to drive, and owning one would be completely pointless if you choose not to use it for it's intended purpose.

2. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    That depends completely on your financial situation and what risk you are willing to take with both your money and a piece of history. In my world the number of cars that are too valuable to drive far out number the one that aren’t.

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I would agree. There's a whole category of disposable cars -- Lotus Elise, Mazda Miata/RX8, Porsche Boxster/Cayman -- that I wouldn't hesitate to thrash the hell out of on the track.

A 250 GTO deserves better. I could see doing a few laps on a closed track or driving on a dry highway, but once it's gone it's really gone. Period. There's a sort of stewardship that goes with owning a car like that, like owning an original Renoir, Manet, etc.

I feel similarly about a lot of out-of-production Ferraris, including mine, even it's never going to vie with a 250 GTO for historical importance: too nice to sacrifice to the ravages of the always-under-construction interstates and the careless of the supermarket parking lot idiots.

4. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    If you're Pantera has a Chevy motor, it's not original. Panteras had Ford engines if I remember correctly.

5. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    you are quite correct, ford engine.

6. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Long live the 351 Cleveland !!

7. show time

show time Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    How about a goood ole' American custom hot rod? You can build it anyway you like w/o having to listen people crap about "kit cars"

8. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    If you want to build a kit car, you should check out Factory Five Racing http://www.factoryfive.com They have top notch kits that are reasonably priced. You can also buy the assembly manuals FIRST to figure out if you really want to get into this, and there are forums on the internet detailing the experiences of various FFR kit builders. GREAT support. Hardcore car guys at both the forum and factory. I'd build one if I had the space.

Another option is to build a Monster Miata (do a web search). There is a kit available for that also, as well as an assembly manual.

Not Ferrari kits, I know, but something to consider.

Factory 5 stuff is great I like the new GTM super car.

Sorry guys but kit cars rock in todays world. It's not grandpa's SS100/ VW replica world anymore. I am building a Lotus 7 from the ground up welding my own frame and it's a fun project. I am haveing a lot more fun with this project compaired to the 9 classic cars I restored over the years. I am now designing a 340 Mexico Vignale inspired car using a modern Maserati motor. Building the frame from tubing and having a friend with a boat building business help me with the carbon fiber body. Total cost of project is 30K I think I will get my $$ worth out of it. I am surprised that we are not seeing more Ferrari engined specials with all the crashed 550's and Maserati's out there.

With the low cost of tech and rentable CNC time we are going to see some cool cars out there with great performance. Todays Astons and Ferraris are too heavy and bloated. I think that kit car guys are going to make some great pure performace machines in the next few years that will also have some style.

9. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    My next car will be an american styled hotrod using italian parts I think. Anytime you decide not to restore someone will be unhappy, but it's still a real car when you're done vs a replica. I think that is the real issue, a hotrod or a kit other than a replica are in a different catagory then replicas, at least to me.....but I wouldn't put a chevy engine in a ford either though......

10. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
  11. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    when we first moved to the beach i looked for an open top car. i found a mg/vw kit which i purchased for 1k. it was badged as a mg which i changed to wolfsburg. i enjoy the look of an english roadster, i once owned a TR3, and i love an aircooled vw, of which i've owned 6. the car is a good daily driver, easy on gas and easy on repairs. when folks ask what kind of car it is i say it's a volkswagen. i take it to vw shows and have never encountered any disparaging remarks. i also take it to the british car show at the annual scottish festival although i do park it at the end of the line even though the members of the club said "oh, don't be that way". my take on it is trying to fob off a replica as real is a waste. if someone is spending all that time and expense building a kit it seems you could restore something. if i thought i could have restored any thing for the few hundreds i've got in the vw i would have, but for my circumstances it's perfect. if i had a real mg/td i'd never drive it for fear of breaking something NLA.
    i've always liked the manta models. if someone had a lot of time and money they could create a screamer out of one of those. the lotus/chatham 7 kits are nice as well.

12. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    What's the difference? Ford, Chevy: American, non-Mopar. ;)
    (I'm still convinced that Daimler bought Chrysler just for the engine shop.)

I never owned a Pantera, but I respect those more than a Fiero pretending to be a Countach.

I also consider a faithful "recreation" to be in a different category than a "replica". So "kit" is a term that covers different categories.

At one point, I did consider a Stratos replica kit for a winter rat. But the problem is that, once you stray from the original blueprints, you can't be sure you're reproducing the same handling as the original.

13. Soerenau

Soerenau Karting

Dec 26, 2007
    DK-4000 Roskilde,CPH
    Full Name:
    Søren Algreen-Ussing
    Hi, i'd like to suggest that you Start by building an 'alu-sette' See : http://www.sitecenter.dk/famiglietta , find alu-sette in The columb on the left, it's with alfetta/giulietta/75 mechanicals, can be built for around 5 k usd. .. Sincerely, soerenau

14. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Or just replace the rusted Alfa 75 parts with aluminum or galvanized. One of the best chasses Alfa ever made.

15. Soerenau

Soerenau Karting

Dec 26, 2007
    DK-4000 Roskilde,CPH
    Full Name:
    Søren Algreen-Ussing

I agree, the 75 is absolutely enticing !! - I had a non-Cat 2.0 Twin Spark, momo steering wheel and knob, delicious steering and accelleration, so imagine chopping off 500-800 kgs !!!!!!!!! And halfing the frontal area !!

sinc. sau

16. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Do you remember the Cobra replica that had the Ferrari V12 engine in it, that was cool !

17. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I bought Fiero new in 1984 because I couldn't afford a Ferrari, not because I couldn't afford a Lamborghini.

Ken

18. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004

Woh hold on just a second here theres many reasons why people build replicas and its not all complete BS.

Seriously would you take a perfectly great classic ferrari of the showroom floor that could be worth millions of dollars to take it to the track and risk smashing it to peaces not to mention distory its value?. Hell no id rather abuse some replica with the same personalitly of the orginal, wreck it and go home happy knowing the orginal is safe and sound. Who really cares what its based on? I am not building this car for them iam building this for me to drive.

Also a replica can cost thousands of dollars less to build vs restoring an orginal depending on the route you take and the skill level you have, if your some beginner trying to build on a large scale bouget yeah it probably will cost you more than the orginal if you have no idea what your doing but if you know whats going on and where exactly the build is going then it shouldn't be an issue.

19. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004

I think the Ultima and GTM is probably the best bang for your buck deal in terms of performance wise goes that thing has to be a better value than a new C6.

Where else can you get a car like the Ultima for 100k thats capable of out performing almost anything at the track?. The GTM is more realistic for us who don't want to spend sixfigures on a car and its a great orginal design I think will be a classic design in the kitcar world like the Sterling was back in the day.

I have worked on replicas in the past before a Manta Montage VW based back in highschool and I loved that car even if it used to drive like a Go cart on steriods it was something totally diffrent than what most people would have at that age to drive around in. Personally I would take a fiero rebody replicar over some modified honda civic or toyota supra simply because building a kit is alot of fun even though it can be fustrating sometimes but its something diffrent on the road and let me tell you no 2 fiero based kits are the same. I could careless if its orginal or not because I built the car for me not to please others and I don't mean that in a selfish way or anything. And my goodness if your going to build a replicar do it the right way! I see alot of incomplete lamborghinis and ferraris that are replicas that don't even have carpet in the interior make sure you take the time to finish the car the right way otherwise it could be a hit in the crappy replicas thread.

But the rule with me is if you build a replica make sure the people who come and take alook at it also know that its a replica. The problem I have is when someone builds a fiero based kit and goes and says "Yeah its the real deal" knowing its not those are the people I have no respect for who build these cars.

20. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
  21. F&M racing

F&M racing Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    JimF
    I think your wrong on "One of the sadest's things in life is having to "explain" your car........well it's a "blank".....built from a "blank"..... blah...blah...blah.... (and watch people walk away)."

I have a friend that is building his own Ford Gt40 from scratch a near exact duplicate, it's been in the garage section of Hot Rod magazine and one of latest Garage books. Plus it's so well done that he has been commissioned by a museum to restore one of the original Ford GTMK 2's the Black and gold one, that's how well his Ford Gt has been done.
    He doesn't have to explain his car to anyone, and believe me nobody walks away from this car, people can't believe it's not authentic. He can tell people it's real if wants, and even an expert would be scratching his head. The car isn't finished yet, he working on the Mk2, but I'll tell ya that tub sitting on horses looks like the real thing! So if you want to build your own car go for it. I have no problem with well done replicas.

22. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Someone can build a car from scratch and rightly so be very proud of this accomplishment. To create something fun with one's own hands is a worthwhile thing to do, be it a car, a painting or a book.

The love of a classic car is somewhat different from what one creates. It's a different feeling entirely from what one does themself. I can do a nice painting, but its not like owning a Monet even if it's good. I can build a car but it's not Ferrari GTO. My car is fast, cool looking and something I did myself. A Ferrari GTO is a classic bit of public art that I would be fortunate enough to own for a little time.

Ken

23. F&M racing

F&M racing Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    JimF
    Ken, your Europa still going? I use to own a Renault powered one years ago. I know what you mean about a classic vs a home built. My Friend couldn't afford a real Ford Gt 40 so he decided to build his own but I consider it a work of Art just like the original.
    Same as this Cobra: unbelievable talent.
    http://members.aol.com/COUPECHUCK/index.htm#SITE%20NAVIGATION%20INSTRUCTIONS

24. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Oh yes, I drive it year round. In fact, just a few days ago the snow and ice was sufficiently gone that I drove both Wed and Thurs after several weeks of cabin fever. Ran like a champ! It's always a struggle in the winter but it's not a sugar cube so if the roads are dry I take her out. I have the TC engine which is the Ford block (modified) and the Lotus DOHC head. I would love to build my own car and would be quite proud if I could, but I also love having a little bit of history with my Lotus. As I said, it's two different things. Personally if I have only one toy, I prefer a real car; others may prefer the kit.

Ken

25. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I have viewd the site you posted 2 posts later....

As a person who makes their living working and creating things w/ my own hands, I can certainly appreciate the time, effort and passion involved in a project like this.

The time, talent and end product is/will be incredible...yet on a philosophical level....it still has to be expalined. That's my point.

I couldn't do a Daytona Coupe... I could take a Frank Llyod Wright design and copy it inch for inch, but in the end at a cocktail party I'd have to "explain it" to my guests, and I choose not to do that. Others will have differet opinions and motives for doing such ventures... I choose not to.

This year at the BRIC ( Road America vintage event) there was an incredible Porsche 917 replica. Absolutely correct in scale, finish, perfect "Gulf" livery, etc... (to my untrained eye). It would no doubt be an blast to own and drive.... for a fraction of the cost of the real deal... yet in the end... (you guessed it) it would have to be "explained".

I am not attacking your freinds' car, his passion, his talent, his business, his hobby, therapy, or anythign else. Each one of us in life has a passion for soemthing and to everyone it is different.

I'm speaking for myself and taking the hard line here..that's all.

My wife and I have come into a nice place in our lives and she would like to work on cars with me. She would like to restore her own and/or learn about cars. The thought breifly crossed my mind that we could buy a Cobra kit, spend a night or two per week putting it together and she could learn about cars from the ground up. No muss no fuss, car comes on a truck, all nice and clean and we'd have a grand old time sipping whisky and bolting things together...

Yet the nagging thought in my mind is that whenever she drove or I drove it I/we would talk to people and we'd have to say "well thank you , but it's a replica of a 66 427 Comp SC side oiler or something similar.... I've come to the point in my life where I'd rather (proudly) say it's an OEM 71 Super Bettle than have to explain why I spent my time and effort on building a copy of something else.

Sorry, that's just my opinon.

In my limited exposure to vintage racing events or big time car auctions, mostly just the BRIC and the odd Barret Jackson, I have never seen, heard, touched or smelled an actual daytona coupe let alone had the opportunity to ride or drive in one. As such, in the current market for cars such as this, a replica or tribute is a viable option if you have the means.

I simply disagree on that pesky "philosophical level"