Building new house still run network cables? | FerrariChat

Building new house still run network cables?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by the_stig, Jul 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    So if you were building a new house would you still run Cat6 cables wherever you thought they would be needed or would you just rely on wireless and stuff like Ubiquiti?
    House will be the only one on a culdesac so security cameras will be an important part of the technology plan.
    Have mentioned it to builder but have no feel yet for how technically adept their guys are. I'm not paying someone a bunch of money to run Cat6 and then finding out they don't know one cable from any other and have never heard of certifying each run.

(I have most of a 1000' spool of top quality cable left from another project and might just do it myself)

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I still advocate hard-wired systems for the core components (modem to router, security server w/cameras, file/media server and primary PC). All IoT stuff goes on the guest wireless, including the smart TVs.

If you run the cables and install the drops, be sure to consider any potential interference issues (motors and fluorescent lights). If not yourself, call a local cable/network installer. They do this kind of work all the time and are familiar with the standards and requirements.

3. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Always easier to run while the walls are open. I have ubiquity and they are good but no replacement for wired. You never know when you will need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Yes that matches my thinking.

Suspicious nature? LOL
    Yes, thanks, I'm pretty familiar with this stuff having cabled several offices myself.
    I'd love to be able to get in there before they close-up the walls but I put in a call to the builder and they say absolutely not. I even offered an insurance rider.
    I once cabled an office prior to drywall installation and some unknown contractor cut all the cables on me. Never did find out who or why but of course I had my suspicions.

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yes definitely run them

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    My only caveat is we are going to see some mega jumps in residential technology over the next few years. One example is wireless electricity. Last I heard, they were up to 15 feet and growing. This means it is going to hard to predict the state of the art in say ten years. So if it doesn't cost much, go ahead and pull the cable. Plus leave a dummy cable to pull in some new tech if you need it.

If your builder won't allow it, show him some Benjamins in the form of a change order.

7. douglas360

douglas360 Karting

Nov 7, 2016
    SoCal
    Yes but only because it sounds like you intend to install some kind of fancy video/security system.

No reason to bother running throughout the entire house for normal Internet access. Mesh WiFi is where it's at. I've been using Eero for close to a year. I think Google came out with a competitor product recently. No more dead spots anywhere.

8. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    No, it's still much better to connect the components of your wifi system by Ethernet.

Ethernet points around the house are not as necessary as before, but it's still better to have Ethernet sockets for AV equipment, which usually stays in one place anyway.

Even if you don't want the hassle of running cable, setting up sockets and switches, every house should have a basic Ethernet backbone to run the wifi network.

9. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #9 Wade, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    Remember this?

Google is asking the high court to rule on the legality of the company’s past sniffing of unencrypted Wi-Fi traffic in neighborhoods around the country as part of its Street View program. An appeals court last September found that the sniffing may have violated the Wiretap Act.

https://www.wired.com/2014/04/threatlevel_0401_streetview/

BTW, Google was sniffing ALL traffic but only admit to identifying unencrypted wireless networks. And of course, they aren't the only ones. Also, wireless can be [mostly] secure, but that's a high-maintenance activity.

Sounds odd that the builder won't let you do anything in the house they're building for you. Heavy Union activity in your area?

10. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I doubt that any of their contractors are union labor except possibly the electrician. Almost certainly not the carpenters and so on.
    I don't know what it is like in other areas but around here it goes in the contract that you get TWO supervised site visits during construction and other than that you are forbidden to enter the property. Of course this is universally ignored but they certainly aren't open to the idea of you doing any work.
    When the times comes I'll make regular visits and be bringing boxes of joe and donuts and hopefully it will just sort of work itself out. ;-)

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    But don't bring beer. I had a doctor once who wanted to be buds with the contractors so he brought a couple cases of beer out on a Friday afternoon. The next Monday I showed him a vacant lot covered in a small hill of beer cans. I asked him, "Would you throw a match into a gas tank? Then don't give beer to the contractors because this is what happens."

12. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    When I gutted the bathrooms in the current house I found empty beer cans in the wall - only a couple but...
    I gave my tile guys beer - at the end of the work day.

13. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    it's about compliance with regs and local codes, inspections, and fees... outside vendor / installer is not under the control of the GC who is responsible for the project as permitted... shoddy not to code work by an DIY can hold up a project... finance draws and final full funding can be held up and cause things to unravel... allowing things to get ugly... better to use licensed low voltage contractor and other trades until the project is signed off

14. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    THIS..... is correct..

15. carguy84

carguy84 Karting

Nov 6, 2013
    Boston
    How big is the house?

Ideally you want to run 2 x cat6 cables and 1 coax to each TV. Also run 2" Carlson tubes back to a central equipment location from each TV and from the the wall next to exterior facing doors.

Run a Cat cable to each location you want to put a camera.

Run speaker cable to ceilings you want multi room audio. 14x4 should do unless you are running long runs (>100').

Run cat cables to areas you'll need wifi coverage (access points).

I'll wiring should run back to a single location.

I'm assuming it's a spec home given all the visit constraints and what not? Never heard of things like that in the north east.

Chip-

16. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    The Carlon raceway tubes are a good tip, thanks!

17. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Yes- run them- find out the fastest level of cables and run those- make sure they are made for in wall. I would run a second set also. Ethernet can carry all sorts of things- even (low level) power. Its almost a wonder cable. Therefore run, run run.. You could even run a 3rd set but now thats overkill. I agree with running speaker cable etc. This is the time to do it. A lot will be wifi, but you never know what you will want to do etc. Anywhere you put a power outlet I would probably stick an ethernet cable, unless its completely unsightly. Also see if you can get the new outlets that have USB in them for the locations where you will place your devices- this will save unsightly wall chargers etc.

18. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I will replace those outlets myself when decisions are made as to furniture locations. I'll also replace some outlets with the ones that have built-in LED night lights. Have those in a few places currently and they are very handy.