Bullfighter in Hospital - Hit head-on by DUI | Page 44 | FerrariChat

Bullfighter in Hospital - Hit head-on by DUI

Discussion in '308/328' started by Robb, Mar 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    HI Jon, don't give up: I needed two year and half to properly restore my drysump (that is just 36 years old, I think less than you...) and it isn't ready yet, so you still have one year and an half before the end of your restore... :)

We all are always very glad to read your posts: stay with us and, If you like, please write something also in some other 308 section discussions to keep your mind focused on pleasant things and not only on your "restore"...

Please PM me (or email) your address: I have a present to ship you.

My email is: [email protected]

keep on improving: an old thing will never be perfect... ;)

ciao

Alberto

2. 19055

19055 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Netherlands, Europe
    Full Name:
    Emile
    Re-read your own last post Jon ! Realise how far you have already come from the first second after that horrible moment. I'd say that's quite something !

No "development" from either a car value, stock value, growth of a company, political movement or getting back to your good-old self after an accident is a straight line up. Plateauing, a temporary setback (which in your case will always be (very) minor ones !!), all part of the path.

Have a look at this !! A tune "from my younger day's", which I didn't like that much, but somehow still remember because of the positive vibe and the title of the song. So, shouldn't you have it yet, get yourself a powerful speaker system (I recommend Tannoy or Klipsch ! :) and amplifier and "turn up te volume "!!

All the best from Holland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK8JGpCmDw8

3. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Jon, good morning from Montana! Good to hear you check in from time to time. Like others have said, you've come a very long way already. Plateau is just the body's way of saying, "give me a minute" LOL we are all very much behind you Brother! :)

4. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Keep it up, you are getting better!

Also damn hard to believe it's been almost a year.

5. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It may seem you've plateaued but that's all progress! Keep it up, sounds like you're getting on your feet (literally)!

Good luck with the surgery, it's amazing what can be repaired these days!

6. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Jon,
    I am hesitant to post this but you probably need to hear it. I have had my share of traumatic injuries, although none as severe as yours: three times with a broken back, two times with a broken pelvis with one of those times being where I shattered about 1/3 of the right side. As I said, nothing as severe as yours but still fairly traumatic with long recoveries.

Each time, I had a plateau that lasted for months. Everyone asked me if I would ever get fully better. I said I would. And eventually I did. Each time it was like after months of no progress, I woke up one day and was loads better.

I can tell you the one truth that it always came back to: hope. I never ever stopped believing that I would be right again. The doctors don't know. The therapists don't know. You have to know. And I just want you to know that. You can do it. It might not be as fast as you want but it will happen. Just keep working and knowing that you're getting there. You will do it. I know you will.

7. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Sherpa23, that was a great post, and I know your statement must have cost you something.

8. 19055

19055 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Netherlands, Europe
    Full Name:
    Emile
    yes, well said. Shisel Sherpa's words in your mind/brain Jon !

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Winston Churchill has always been one of my favorite historical figures and I have one of his quotes in my office that I think applies to all of us at some point.

He said "Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever give up".

You can do a lot more than the doctors or you know. Hang in.

10. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Sherpa23:

What a beautiful message of hope and inspiration! I hope it will serve to motivate Jon to continue his fight for a complete recovery and re-dedicate himself to his rehabilitation efforts.

Jon, thanks for staying in touch with us and letting us know how you're doing. I'm so happy to hear how far you've come, and continue to pray for your continued progress.

11. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Jon, thoughts and prayers from sunny but cold Connecticut. Keep doing your best. I'm sure you will be stronger with time.

12. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi Jon,

as you say yourself "It's been almost a year"

time really flies ... and look back on what you already have achieved sofar !
    so don`t be afraid of the future

and what`s another year ?
    the most important thing for you is your health !
    sure enough, valid for all of us !
    (unfortunately most of us only really get this when we are confronted with either a severe illness or a bad accident)

I´m sure everybody around you has only the best wishes for you, is trying to do the best for you and help you wherever possible ...

but in the very end, it is YOU who can help yourself the most -
    by staying positive, by keeping your hopes high, by beeing thankful and proud for even the slightest progress and by looking couriously into the future that will be the next part of your life

we all have our ups and downs ... although most of us are in a far better situation than you are now - but this more or less anonymous internet community with members from all around the world can be great supporters - and we will !

so all the best for you and keep reaching for the stars ;)

13. 19055

19055 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Netherlands, Europe
    Full Name:
    Emile
    #1088 19055, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I'm sorry for your partner's loss - I genuinely am, but the point I am making is that DUI offences cover a multitude of levels.

I don't know what the limits for DUI are for where you live, so I will use the Laws of the UK that I do know to explain the point I am making (and these are for alcohol only):

In the UK, the legal limit of alcohol for driving is 35 micrograms in 100 millilitres of blood.

So blow 34 at the roadside and you are legal to drive.
    Blow 35 though and you are not legal to drive.

Alcohol affects different people differently, but in general, in the UK it has been decided that with 34 micrograms of alcohol, you should be safe to drive a car. With an extra 1 microgram of alcohol in the system, your ability to drive a car is not suddenly going to be diminished to a dangerous level, but you commit the offence of DUI if stopped by the Police.

So, is someone who blows 34 at the roadside perfectly safe to drive, but someone who blows 35 unsafe?

Should a driver who blows 34 be allowed to drive for the rest of their life, but someone who blows 35 really be banned from driving for life?

Is a driver who blows 35, as dangerous as someone who blows 140 micrograms (4 times the legal limit), and barely able to put the key in the ignition, let alone drive? - After all, they're both committing the same offence - DUI, just to different levels.

How about this for an example: If someone goes out and has a glass of wine with their meal, drives home perfectly safely but gets stopped by the Police and blows 35 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath, should they be facing a life time driving ban for being 1 microgram over the limit?

Sorry, but to Me that would be just too draconian!

Forget ideas of a zero tolerance - I'm talking about the real World here, not the ideal World.

In the case of the person who killed your partner's relative, were they just barely over the legal limit for driving? - I suspect the answer is no, they were over the limit by quite some margin.

Don't get Me wrong, I'm not condoning driving under the influence of any substance, be it alcohol, drugs or whatever. I never drive if I've had even a single drink, and if I've been out drinking the night before then I don't drive for at least 24 hours (48 hours if I have had a lot to drink the night before), because it's just not worth the risk to Myself or anyone else.

The fact is, not every DUI offender is absolutely blind drunk behind the wheel - it is possible to commit a DUI offence without actually being a danger on the road (most are a danger, but not all).

For those just barely on the wrong side of the limit, should they really face a life-time driving ban?

Should they not be given a warning that if it ever happens again then they'll loose their licence for good and be given a second chance?

If your going to be that draconian with punishments, should there not also be lifetime driving bans for people caught speeding?, caught driving through red lights/stop signs?, caught talking on their mobile/cell phones? - After all, they are all personal choices that have the potential to kill others on or around the roads, just as driving with alcohol or drugs in your system is a personal choice!

I appreciate that in Jon and Amanda's case, had the woman involved been banned from driving after her first DUI offence then their tragic incident wouldn't have happened, but the same could be applied to other cases where people had previously been convicted for the other driving offences mentioned above. The sad fact is, for many offences, drivers are allowed to drive again and end up costing the life of an innocent party when they commit the same offence again.

As I say, I'm not condoning DUI offences (despite what some might think!) - In reality they are all totally needless and avoidable

As for those advocating a zero alcohol tolerance: Try doing a quick search for products that actually contain alcohol first!

I'll give you some easy one's:

Got a severe cough? - Better not take any cough medicine if you want to keep you licence!

Mouthwash? - Better check the ingredients!

Suffering from constipation - Better read the label on your laxatives!

Using a liquid pain reliever? - Careful now!

Taking certain Vitamins? - Oops!

Zero tolerance is a nice idea, but the reality is that it's impracticable!

Bullfighter: You've come so far already, and we're all pulling for you! - Never, ever, ever, stop fighting to get as well as you can!

You have friends and family who love you, and so much more still to give them!

I don't know if you've ever read Alex Zanardi's book about his life story and his fight for recovery after his horrific accident - If you haven't, give it a read, it's an incredibly inspirational book!

You take care Sir! :)

15. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I am very impressed with Jon's improvements.

I feel good about more to come. Great messages for him from other members and friends.

Robb

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Jon:

Not that it matters much but you are my hero. Work hard and get better. It's what heroes do.

17. douglas360

douglas360 Karting

Nov 7, 2016
    SoCal
    Did the trial happen as slated on 2/17/17? I googled for an update a couple different ways but couldn't find out if there was a verdict. Maybe the trial got delayed for some reason?

Jon - glad you're doing well and hope you will continue making progress towards a full recovery.

18. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Same after my heart attack.

Felt I was 'going nowhere' for about 2 years. My QoL was pretty low.

But I kept trying.

Then one day out of the blue I wokeup and could 'jump over low buildings with a running start' after almost two years of gaining almost zero ground. And I am still getting better 7 years later. I'll never be Superman again (too old), but I can once again do some Super Things.

Jon, the only thing holding you back or pushing you forward is YOU.

WE are 'Pullin fer Ya.'

NEVER 'Give Up.'

19. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    She's still being held in San Diego County Jail under the same terms, and facing 21 years to Life in prison for the charges. Her case was continued again to 3/23 - five days prior to the date of her booking one year ago:

Defendant: Hyun Jeong Choi
    Defense Counsel: Stephen Cline
    Court Case No.: CD266279
    DA No.: ADZ911
    Date: 03/23/2017
    Time: 01:30 PM
    Event: Further Proceedings

>8^|
    ER

20. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Or about an hour ago?

21. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Correct - no updates on either the DA's or the Jail's systems related to status yet.

I thought about this at lunch today and was going to check again tomorrow.

>8^|
    ER

22. douglas360

douglas360 Karting

Nov 7, 2016
    SoCal
    After "Further Proceedings" on 23 March 2017, the San Diego DA's office says Ms. Hyun Jeong Choi is scheduled for:

Further Proceedings scheduled for May 22 2017 1:30PM at the San Diego Superior Court, Central Division, County Courthouse in Department 11.

Felony Jury Trial scheduled for Sep 22 2017 9:00AM at the San Diego Superior Court, Central Division, County Courthouse in Department 11.

23. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Hey guys, thanks for staying on top of this, and keeping us posted. Many of us are following this situation and hoping for JUSTICE (like a very, very long jail senntence).

24. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    This is truly a saga of epic proportions. I have been following and reading this tragedy since day-one.
    It just occurred to me that if someone could gather this entire journey into a full document, that the San Diego D.A.'s office could get the clear picture of the very human side to this horror story, they just might adjust their thinking "upwards" in the charges to be brought against this monster. Let them see all of the world-wide love that this tragedy has invoked. I mean like packaging this entire thread from beginning to the present. All too often, these matters don't get a true human face put on them. This would not be illegal or collusive in any way, and it sure as heck can't hurt. Turn up the fire, so to speak. Just thinking out loud today. Jq.

25. 19055

19055 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Netherlands, Europe
    Full Name:
    Emile
    Well, as much as I agree/understand what you are trying to say: such a "summary of events/sympathy" could also be put up by "the other side". Somehow I feel/think a judge/the court should stick to the naked facts. If I speak personally, "freely from my heart", I'd put this lady in a safe, solitude dark space and make shure she'd never-ever see daylight again.

On the other hand it's a good thing a "neutral party" decides how & what. As difficult that is to me on many subjects to accept. Let's make shure we all (speaking in general) are "protected from emotions" when we are involved in "court-things" (don't know how to say it right in English).