Bunch of old Exotic Photos | FerrariChat

Bunch of old Exotic Photos

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by mcomet, Dec 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mcomet

mcomet Karting

Feb 17, 2013
    NorCal Bay Area - CA
    #1 mcomet, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just felt like sharing this post... So I've had a number of older exotic photos as my dad went through a bunch of Italian cars growing up, ranging from 308/328 to 348, 355, 360 and also Countach, Diablo, Murcialago... I was in my attic and discovered a bag of photos I thought I had lost. Many from a trip to Los Angeles in 1989. Here's a handful... I'll be slowly posting more over my Instagram account when I get a negative scanner...right now just scanning some prints.

Anyhow thought this was too fun to not share here. A white convertible testarossa, some Dino, what I think are some 328's and then some Mondials....

For anyone that wants to see more my IG account is "michaelcomet"

enjoy!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Big Swole and paulchua like this.
  2. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    cool

3. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Very cool! Def post more here if possible for those of us who dont venture onto instagram much....

4. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Just Google his account name and it'll pop up. You don't have to have an account.

Michael, some cool pics. Your dog kicks ass!

5. mcomet

mcomet Karting

Feb 17, 2013
    NorCal Bay Area - CA
    #5 mcomet, Dec 25, 2015
    Haha thanks all and Merry Christmas. I'm currently modifying my Porsche Cayman S 981 to be my poor mans Ferrari .... kept mulling over switch to a 328 or 360 but have decided I want to put miles on and not pay crazy for upkeep... I've already got 20k miles on my CS after 2 years... :) So yeah ... new exhaust (armytrix) is on the way...

Here is a link to my Instagram account so people can view there...

https://www.instagram.com/michaelcomet/

I'll try to post to this thread as well... probably starting more tomorrow first on IG and then when I catch up i'll try to do both... in the meantime I will tease two more pictures here before I post elsewhere.

A few fun facts...

First the photos from Los Angeles were from 1989 most of those are from Newport Beach area... apparently there was an exotic dealer called Newport Imports that went bankrupt in 1994. That's where those dealer photos are from. I think we had also stopped at a dealer in Beverley Hills too later.

The two car pictures below are from suburbs of Cleveland, OH which is where my family is from (parents are still there). The Lamborghini Countach was my fathers and the Ferrari 512BB was a friend. I believe that friend eventually sold and got a Countach as well which you will see in future pictures. The 1980's era shorts are required. Not sure if that was a friend or someone walking by...hehe.

Before the Lambo the second or third Ferrari my dad owned was a 328 as shown in this other (blurry) photo. I'm impressed by the visual juxtaposition created by the surrounding cars. It goes to show how much of a difference the exotics were compared to the usual 70s and 80s vehicles of their day.

Ah memories. I need to get a negative scanner soon so I can get the other pictures in. I was able to grab about 55 scans from prints...but there are tons more on the negatives that I am missing prints for. My biggest problem with looking at these is I start yearning for a 308/328 again... :) :) :)

Enjoy!

Michael

Big Swole likes this.
  6. RMRClub

RMRClub Rookie

Mar 7, 2008
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    My 328 came out of the Bay area. Is there any chance that you might know the VIN on the one in the pic? The last three VIN on my 328 is 3-2-1. Mostly a curiosity because I don't think there were very many white 328's.
    Thanks for the post.

7. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Yes, I remember visiting Newport Imports back around 1992/93... It was the only place I had seen not one, but TWO F40's parked side-by-side in the garage area. They were brand-new cars then and were THE car at the time. Seeing one was rare, but two? Wow. Blew my mind.

I was really surprised with that garage. As your photos show, the service bays had roofs, but beyond that, the whole area was open to the skies. It certainly reinforced a perception I had with California that the weather must be great all year long, if an exotic car dealership could get by without a roof over the service area! ;)

It was also the only place I had ever seen an Aston Martin Lagonda (they were an authorized dealer for A-M). It would be close to TWO decades later when I saw another, up here in Vancouver.

Love the '80s Buicks and Fords, especially the '70s Cordoba behind the 328! Stylin'! ;) I think the Ford in front of the 328 is an LTD two-door(?).

8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Very cool. BTW, I'd wager that white car is actually a C3 Vette with a body kit.

tantumaude likes this.
  9. mcomet

mcomet Karting

Feb 17, 2013
    NorCal Bay Area - CA
    @RMRClub I am currently in the Bay Area but we lived in OH at the time so I think most cars were east coast. I sadly don't know the VIN numbers... His first 308 we purchased from a dealer in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. I still remember driving back north after flying down to pick it up. The rain leaked thru the window seals slightly even when fairly new...heh.

@Peter yes that sounds like it. I have some of those photos of an F40 they had there at the time I was there. :)

@ryalex yes based on the look of it I'd agree...seems like a body kit...

10. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
  11. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I don't know if it is a Corvette underneath, but it isn't a Testarossa. The side intakes don't go deep enough and the windshield surround on a TR has metal around it and would probably be body colored.

I love these old shots, thanks for sharing.

12. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    #12 Peter, Dec 27, 2015
    I don't want to hijack your thread, but since you posted this, when I was putting away some Christmas stuff in the garage earlier today, I remembered to look for my photo albums, but came across one box that had a lot of loose photos. They were duplicates of the ones I put in the albums and these few that I found were of that visit to Newport Imports. I scanned them this evening and if you don't mind, I'll post them.

I was mistaken, there was only one F40 in the service area, but still a nice assortment of cars. I didn't write the date on the backs of these extra photos, but I'm very sure I took these in 1992:

Big Swole and paulchua like this.
  13. mcomet

mcomet Karting

Feb 17, 2013
    NorCal Bay Area - CA
    #13 mcomet, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    What ? How dare you! Hahah just kidding. ;) :) :) That is awesome!!!
    Those are some clean shots. My F40 photos seemed to be in a spot where I couldn't get a good angle and thus couldn't get the whole car in. I'm looking forward to scanning in more Lambo stuff soon too. Negative scanner should arrive here mid week. :)

EDIT: Looking at the F40 pics I discovered earlier I think they might be from a car show event and not here but it's unclear. I do seem to remember seeing an F40 down here too tho... will have to see what negatives yield later... Also that Aston

also that Aston Martin Virage photo is hilariously amazing...especially with the Esprit further back..awesome.

14. mcomet

mcomet Karting

Feb 17, 2013
    NorCal Bay Area - CA
    #14 mcomet, Dec 27, 2015
    Here are a few more...

The Lamborghini Jalpa picture I think was taken down in Columbus OH where our lambo was regularly serviced at Evans Automotive. It's possible it was taken elsewhere but that is my guess. I don't know what is better... the parking overhang, the gold wheels or the likely IROC-Z Camaro behind it...heh.

Second we have another shot of what I think is probably the Newport Imports showroom with a 25th anniversary Lamborghini Countach, and an old Jaguar XKE. The back is a mirror reflecting what also appears to be a Testarossa behind where I was standing. I really like the Ferrari 288 GTO poster on the wall. I'm pretty sure it's my dad and one of my brothers on the left.

Big Swole likes this.
  15. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The height, shape and angle of the white "Testarossa" convertible's windscreen shouts C3 Corvette! - Along with the top profile of the front wings.

The white 328 looks minute in between the two Mondials!

Someone has swapped the rear lights over on the 512i BB shown with the Lamborghini Countach (The indicators should be on the outside and the tail-lights on the inside!)

And: "Oh...........My..........God!.......... That US spec front bumper on the front of the red Countach in that last picture!" :eek:

It must have made the Italians cry as they bolted it onto the car! :(

16. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I have to keep reminding myself when I see these photos, those cars were BRAND NEW at the time.

I remember that it was a huge facility. Showroom was big, parking lot was big, service area/garage was big.

17. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    This is actually the best design out of the bunch of proposals used to get U.S. certification!

18. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    #18 4rePhill, Dec 28, 2015
    Once the car was sold, could the owners remove them or would that have been breaking the Law? (removal of Federally required safety equipment or some such?).

Also was this not an acceptable solution then (whilst not ideal, it looks better to Me) :

SA Mike and Big Swole like this.
  19. mcomet

mcomet Karting

Feb 17, 2013
    NorCal Bay Area - CA
    #19 mcomet, Dec 28, 2015
    Once it was sold you could do whatever you wanted...legal or not. Technically to meet US crash standards the bumper was supposed to remain on. At least that is my understanding. Most people removed them. Was one of the first things done to our Countach I believe. Here are two pictures....

First my fathers '83 LP5000S still with the gold wheels. At some point he switched to silver wheels. He still has an original gold OZ wheel in his garage I need to get some time... Also if you look close through the window of the first pic you can see the sheepskin covers he placed over the leather seats...heh.

Second is his car with the friend behind who originally had the 512BB. He had left his ugly black bumper on the car. Also interesting his side intake was body color and not black... must have been an option I guess.

Big Swole likes this.
  20. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Very nice! - They look so much better without the US front bumpers!

I just wondered how strict the authorities were about having the bumpers still on the car ("Not very!" by the sounds of it! :) ).

Having Googled: "USA spec car bumpers" there were some real abominations applied to cars in the name of safety! (70's/80's BMW's look particularly awful to My eyes!).

As for the colour coded intake on the one Countach, considering Lamborghini's quality reputation back then (no offence intended!), it could just as easily have been an error during painting as it could have been an option!

21. mcomet

mcomet Karting

Feb 17, 2013
    NorCal Bay Area - CA
    #21 mcomet, Dec 28, 2015
    Big Swole likes this.
  22. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    That's a nice early morning picture! (Lowish sun, almost no one around apart from a couple of joggers and the bin men haven't been yet! ;) ).

It must have been quite an incredible day! - I mean, having one Lamborghini Countach outside your house would be amazing, but to have two parked outside must have been unbelievable! :)

23. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yeah, that would have been epic back in the 1980s. Heck, it's still cool now, but back then those would have been like seeing UFOs together. I've mentioned plenty of times here that I didn't even see a Ferrari IRL until the end of the 80s.

Sometimes I think that the internet and social media have spoiled exotic and luxury goods, since they are now easily viewed and accessed. Even 25 years ago, you had to dig to even find these cars, but now, cars.com/autotrader/Hemmings/DuPont/eBay/etc pulls up pretty much everything for sale around the world in 5 minutes. Google, Instagram et al show you 5 million pictures of it in .0002 seconds. The mystery is gone.

24. mcomet

mcomet Karting

Feb 17, 2013
    NorCal Bay Area - CA
    #24 mcomet, Dec 28, 2015
    Big Swole likes this.
  25. mcomet

mcomet Karting

Feb 17, 2013
    NorCal Bay Area - CA
    BTW I am noticing hiccups/speed issues with fchat.. .is that normal? I might find a better place to store these photos anyhow and put them up in batch elsewhere...