Bushwhacker to illustrate your Ferrari, etc. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Bushwhacker to illustrate your Ferrari, etc.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bushwhacker, Mar 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    Dennis,

Another winner! Do you do pencil sketches first, then ink that or do you go straight to ink?

2. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis

Thanks David,

Most of the time I rough out and compose the illustration in pencil first to work out the details and missing information. But other times, depending how brave I feel I'll go right to ink. When working on the composition I'll do a number of variations until it just feels right, can't explain it.

3. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis

Thanks Grant, I saw your illustrations. Very nice, I love the fresh feel they have.:D

Bush...

4. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #29 bushwhacker, Mar 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    Fantastic stuff :D:D

6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Very nice work, Dennis. I recall your magazine work as well (but I was no longer a teenager!) Great illustration of the Speedster. Is that watercolor or some other medium?

Let's see....how do I leave a hint for the wife about a birthday gift......

Jack

7. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    Pretty slick stuff...when my 'portfolio' is once again actually worth SOMETHING, I'll keep you in mind.

8. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis

Jack,
    I used to use "Dr Martins Dyes" but now use an improved fade resistant india ink based colors by Dr martins dyes as well. You can get them at any good art store.

9. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Very nice work.

Your style reminds me a lot of Dennis Brown and Ken Dallison's work.

10. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis

Thanks, Yeah, there were a couple other great automotive illustrators as well at the time, Richard Corson and Bill Neal.

11. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #36 bushwhacker, Mar 25, 2009
    Here's a couple new illustrations of Ferrari's I did last week. The 'Superamerica' here was at the Malibu car show a couple years ago. What a great venue, on the grass overlooking the Pacific on a warm sunny day. Great cars and great people in a wonderful environment.
    Until some research I didn't know that most all of the Superamericas were different by the owners choice of components from the factory, some had side vents, some didn't, some had hood scoops, some didn't, etc.,etc. I wonder if the owner of this car is a member here at FChat? Beautiful!
    The Enzo pictured here was just a couple spaces away from the Superamerica at the same event. What can I say about the Enzo and it's namesake ?......nuff said, just amazing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #37 bushwhacker, Mar 31, 2009
  13. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #38 bushwhacker, Apr 9, 2009
  14. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    I too know your work well from the era in which you were actively published in the car magazines. Always liked the loose/tight lost and found elegance of your work. I like how you incorporate body copy onto the artwork, too. If I had a Ferrari, I'd have you draw it. If you're in LA, I'd like to see some of your original work sometime. I'm an illustrator as well.

15. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Mucho thanks,

Well as the old adage goes it's what you leave out is as important as what you leave in. I like to play positive against negative shapes, the subject matter doesn't matter. It's where you want the eye to go. Sometimes people have asked me why didn't you finish the drawing? at which I really don't know what the answer is, I know it sounds funny but you have to listen to that little voice inside that tells you when to stop and when enough is enough, you just feel it.When I was a Director/Cameraman on commercials the same thing holds true when composing a shot, it's just a gut feeling of what feels right, you have to learn to make a decision, stand by it and move on, it's a strange discipline.

16. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #41 bushwhacker, Apr 17, 2009
    Well, here's a little illustration for all you Porsche fans. It's a car I saw a couple years ago at Cars & Coffee in Irvine Ca. My notes say it's a replica of one of the Porsche LeMans Carrera's. If I remember right it was a very well done and an eye catcher. I just took a section of the car as I thought it was interesting in a teasing kind of way.:D

17. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    Dennis,

Do you have a web gallery that shows your work? I've always loved your style and the way you leave out detail and the incorporation of text as a design element. Another tech question, how long does it take you to do one of your drawings?

18. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Great work Dennis!

19. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Hi David,

I don't have a website as of yet but everyone keeps asking so I might in the near future. Unless I am commissioned by a publication, corporation, etc. I really draw for the pure enjoyment of the drawing process, it's really relaxing and contemplative and at the end you have a feeling of accomplishment. I know it's a weird metaphor but it's almost the same as mowing my lawn, the smell of the fresh cut grass, the row by row process of cutting and the end result of a beautiful lawn, then in a week you get the joy of doing it again....strange huh.
    Well, each illustration is different as far as how long it takes, it depends on the complexity and content. For example I posted an illustration of a 348 engine a couple weeks ago, it took about three days. I start out blocking out the drawing roughly and may do two or three really rough compositions bringing in different elements such as typography, other cars or related objects , people etc. I let the car tell me where it wants to live, each is different.
    A really simple drawing can be four to six hours initially but then I go back in and detail it, another three hours, etc. Detailing in my style requires whiting out the ink 'hand smears' where I have brushed against the surface before the India ink has dried, sometimes I use a hair dryer to speed up the process of drying. Also at this time I may correct some really bad miss-strokes of the pen. I also walk away from the drawing from time to time and come back to it with a fresh look.......this is very important in the process to me as you see things in a different way and make judgment calls along the way. But, when I'm drawing I am very focused and try to work with a fluid pen stroke rather than belabor it and worry about every little line, personally I think a loose line adds freshness and character to the overall look and feel rather than mechanical.:)

20. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Thanks Jason, really appreciate it............Dennis:)

21. Rytt

Rytt Karting
    BANNED

Apr 14, 2009
    I-town
    Full Name:
    Badda-Boom
    great pics especially of the 348

22. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    Any chance of posting drawings of a 308 GTB Euro? (basis for 288 GTO)

23. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I've got a 288GTO on the list, love that car!. I'm sure a beautiful 308 will work it's way in there someday.:D

24. mgood

mgood Karting

Jun 18, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mark Good
    Hi Dennis,
    Absolutely amazing work! You can add me to the list of folks that grew up admiring your work.
    I had this amazing sketch tacked on my wall for years. It was a red Indy car in perspective that was also a cut-away.
    I believe there were also informational call-outs in hand written blocks of text. The sketch had a sense of looseness to it, but was still so precise and detailed.
    I was thinking maybe it was one of yours; based on some of your comments about less is more, using fluid strokes, and knowing when to stop.
    Well, whether it was one of yours or not, the work you’ve posted so far is simply incredible! Please keep posting!!
    Thanks.

Mark

25. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    Dennis, my brother and I grew up on your illustrations! Seriously, I've got a stack of the old pubs from my youth, with your pages well dog-eared. I may just have to PM you for an original commission. Great to see you here!