Business in the Bronx!? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Business in the Bronx!?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by davem, Jan 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    New Yorks not that bad. The only problems ive ever had there is people following me around for a few blocks trying to sell me some fake Movado watches and **** like that. Well at least Manhattan isnt bad.

2. Well I would never go to New York City, no matter how cheap those Fauxvados are.

3. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM

He's in HARLEM, not the Bronx....................

4. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    As a foreigner who has visited NYC on many occasions I can say I love the place have been visiting there since the early nineties and would(and Have) recommended the place to many friends who have also loved the place to.It saddens me to read so many Americans speaking badly about the place and either admit or it is obvious that they have never been there.
    Best rewgards
    Dave McGuire

5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    7 or 8 years ago I was in NJ, Manhattan, Upstate NY, back to NJ on a whirlwind biz trip - even taught already motivated to go-go-go cabbies how to recognize the color green at warp speed (Rental car + me = World's fastest horn) and got snowed in for longer than the whirlwind trip was supposed to take. Caught the only blizzard of the year - missed a hellacious party in L.A....

Didn't need any sissy airborne, nor do I know anybody who'd think they would. Anywhere, anyplace, anytime. Of course, I haven't been "scared" since I was 8 years old. That was between 11 p.m. on 10-31 and 9 a.m. 11-1. (True story that involves back-to-back horror movies, a brother, his psychopath friend, my record-breaking leap and a film poster I have to commemorate the events.)

Il Commenadatore, maybe you could come back to life as a statue...

6. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Really? So you've never left the island in your entire life, as I don't recall there being any airports in Manhattan....

Maybe you caught a boat somewhere. Maybe you went to New Jersey and caught a plane at an airport there?

:)

7. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    me thinks there is some confusion over members kennyh and kenny.

BTW I lived in da bronx and unfortuately the bad areas have not revitilized like other sections of the city, some decent areas have gone down hill - ie arthur ave, and the nice sections have held their own but everyone know about them already so I don't think you can find an unmined business opportunity.

8. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Thanks for all the replies thus far. As far as where in the Bronx i want to be located... Riverdale is easy, but honestly still trying to learn the Bronx.
    Other than Yankee stadium its all new to me.
    For those who have never been to NYC your really missing out.
    I come into contact with say 30-40 people who come to Ct. for franchisee training every 2 weeks. These folks are from all over the U.S and overseas. They have a Sunday free in between training and i do my best to make sure they visit the city. Amazes me how many are scared to go based on Hollywood or outdated statisics.
    Anyways they all return Monday with the biggest smiles when i ask them about their visit.

9. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Theres a Subway near the 125th street metro north station in harlem. It seems to get god business. It was reasonably crowded the 2 times i ate there. Other than me being the only white person in miles, i didnt notioce anything out of the ordinary. I dont see why everyone is so 'affraid' of the city. Ok, maybe 125th street isnt the place ytou want to be at night by yourself, but manhattan is fine. MYdad has worked in midtown and has taken the train to work for over 20 years. HE even jogs in central park at lunchtime and hes never had a problem. Im thinking you want to open a place farther north in the bronx though.

Lester, kenny- i went to a public HS in westchester and we used to wrestle against horrace mann in some tournaments. They had a good team when i wrestled, and still did when i went to a tournament to watch last month.

10. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m

11. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    The city brings back a lot of memories; Harlem, SoHo, China Town, Union Square... i went to high school in Manhattan, but was born and raised in the Bronx...

Dave, i haven't been there in a while, but as far as i know, there aren't any Subways on, let's say, White Plains Road (just an El - har-har!) which is where a Subway would be good... A lot of traffic down there, both commercial and residential... Also consider Eastchester Road, in the more northern section of the Bronx; that's also a main strip that's both residential and commercial... Allerton Avenue is another main road; definitely check that out- i think a Subway ANYWHERE on Allerton would work out... Gun Hill Road isn't exactly the place i'd like to be late at night, but a sandwich is a sandwich and everyone likes sandwiches... Also, if your cohones are exceptionally large, take a swing by Castle Hill; if it's still the way i remember it, you'll be itching to get out of there as quickly as possible; still, EVERYONE likes sandwiches...

i'll ride out there with you one day, if you'd like... Also check out the South Bronx... i can't stress this enough: EVERYONE LIKES SANDWICHES.

12. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m

Carbon thanks for the virtual tour!

Glad to see you like Allerton. I looking at a corner location on 225 and Allerton tommorow.
    Thanks for you help.
    Dave

13. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Dave, The Bronx is a great place, don't let anyone fool you... The nice parts are great but even the blue collar parts are pretty cool... It's not like you're opening up a jewelry store in the middle of Somalia; everyone eats and EVERYONE LIKES SANDWICHES (ok, i've said that enough and i'm sure you already know that)... The Bronx is a gold mine... Let us know how it goes...

P.S. If you're on Allerton Avenue, go all the way down towards White Plains Road; there's a pizza place on one of the corners called Pizza Corner; get a slice... It'll be the best damn slice of pizza you ever have... :)

14. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Why? NYC is pretty safe these days compared to say 10 years ago. Yes, crime is still there, but I've gone up several times this year and had no fears walking around Manhattan even at 2 AM. If anything, I'd be worried about finding parking for a reasonable price.

Carbon, ahhhh, SoHo, Union Square, and now apparently the Meatpacking area.

15. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Tim- I wrestled in 9th and 10th grade, before I blew my shoulder in a biking accident in 11th grade... Yes, their wrestling team was strong as well when I went there....

16. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Alex, which part of Manhattan is now apparently a meat packing area...?

Also, i agree with you, walking around Manhattan at pretty much any time of day or night is fine... i've walked around, all over the place, at all hours... Times Square, Port Authority, down by the pier- it doesn't matter... NYC crime is so overrated it's not even funny anymore...

17. Il'inglese

Il'inglese Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    The Bronx is cool. A bear to get around. A lot of the neighborhhoods are very immigrant oriented, nothing wrong with that, but huge competition from good cheap eats.

If fact most NYers are spoiled by such food. For $5 you can get the best Vietnamese soup or pizza so good it will make an Itailian grandmother cry.

And around the not so nice areas - you have lots of fast food, pizza and nasty Chinese take-out, that is what sells in such areas. I have always thought of Subway as being health food in comparison.

Take a look in Brooklyn - not only park slope, but the other areas around Prospect Park. Lots of Yuppies, Buppies and work-at-homes.. A very vibrant area.

NNO- Regarding the meat packing district. I was just that until a few years ago - it starts at 14th Street way on the west side and runs south from there for another few square blocks. Worth a stroll!

18. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    Yeah, to echo the sentiments of many here, NY's not so bad. I was joking with the sterotypical picture earlier in the thread; I thought it was funny, and I didn't think this would be such an emotionally charged thread. But yeah, my parents are from Brooklyn/Queens, my dad used to deliver furniture in the Bronx, and I visit NY quite often. Great place to do business - as Mr. McCoy said, everyone loves sandwiches.

19. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Carbon,
    Il'glese is right. I should've been a bit more detailed, but the meat packing district is what I was referring to. Except I wasn't referring to it in a bad way. Apparently it's been cleaned up a bit now. I was there in December and was informed that the area now is another great night life area. We had dinner at a restaurant/bar called The Park and it was GREAT! Located in the restaurant was The Red Room which was doing rather well, especially on a Sunday night. Real nice place!

20. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    100 round mags are too heavy, i prefer 2 german made 40 rounders. the dragunov is a blast, ( literally) as are the Mosin-Nagant rifles that share the same ammo as the dragonov. if you have seen the movie "Enemy at the Gates" those are Mosin Nagants. the Uzis are from the late 1960's i have the "long" 16 inch barrels on them for semi auto fun, though both are select fire. my ATF registered , legal machine guns are too damn expensive to buy barrels for if you blast with them too much. i dont keep them at my residence anymore either. nuff said. thanks for noticing impalaSS, i couldnt resist, tough i did post in a spirit of jest.

21. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Once again thanks for all the help. When i open in the Bronx, your all invited (leave weapons at the door gents).

22. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    But someone might steal them!

23. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    Dave - Why leave the peace and serenity of white-picket-fenceville Connecticut?? I've got some property right in downtown Darien that would suit you just fine!! Plenty of safe, secure parking for Ferraris to gather before and after a drive. Also, very near the train station so you could feed the commuter crowd! You know where it is... I'll draw up a basic lease now for it.

P.S. - When are we going for a drive in your Mondial?? TR is still at ASD getting the major. Should be ready in another 2 or 3 weeks... Hope all is well with you, Sue and Jules!!!!

24. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Dwight, Sorry i lost ya on the phone today.
    Called back but your voicemail doesnt pick up...
    Anyways as soon as this weather improves lets go for a spin.
    Ill call you at Wagner next week.
    Dave

25. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The NVA used Mosin Nagants with 3.5x scopes for there sniper weapons during the vietnam war didnt they. Id be scared $hitless knowing there was a sniper somewhere in a city with that dragunov. They told us it ws pretty damn accurate.