Business & Politics Forums to Silver Subscribed? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Business & Politics Forums to Silver Subscribed?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, May 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Business & Politics Forums to Silver Subscribed?

1. Leave as is.

2. Move to Silver Subscribed.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Wow, I thought I was the only one that felt that way.

2. Giles3

Giles3 Karting

Sep 17, 2004
    Palmy - New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Matt Giles
    I agree too, The B&I forums is one of the main attractions to this site for me,and what caused me too sign up. I can wait till I get 100 posts to read there again. ;)

3. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    I'm for moving it. I don't even go to P&R anymore since it got so nasty. The ones who won't abuse the privilege are the ones who have actually paid to be here and are more willing to be civil about the discussions.

Just don't EVER move the "other off-topic" forum; we get way too many quality contributions to the bikini thread from non-subscribed members.

4. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Nope, me too.

But it does give me a taste of what's going on at home rather than trying to get it from the nightly news.

5. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    What happens when you keep all the new blood out of an Appalachian family? They start sitting on their front porch playing the banjo and refusing to shake hands with strangers.
    Leave it alone. If people don't like P&R, then DON'T GO THERE! Reminds me of the old story about the cops who respond to a call from a little old lady who is complaining about the man next door exposing himself. The cop looks out the lady's window and says, "I don't see him". The lady says, "Of course you can't see him from down here, you have to stand on the chair and look over the hedge row".

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm not doing this to get more subscriptions, just maybe control it a little more and also have a better "public" image of FC.

Keep the thoughts coming, I'm reading them all.

7. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Arlie's, but so's Rob. There needs to be some restraint, but with a little restraint, anything else should be ok. There are many different opinions here, and what's good about the threads is that you get to see all of them, and on occassion, if you read the posts, and the cites, you learn a little.

Art

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Sure, but any real or perceived animosity needs to stay there. Otherwise, the "if you don't like it, don't go there" baby doesn't get thrown OUT with the proverbial bathwater... it gets thrown IN, splashing everybody and making a big mess. Like... now.

So, make the bathtub a private place and leave the rest of the house in order.

9. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I'm new here, but I completely agree with these sentiments.

Jack

10. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Moving the section will not fix the problems with P&R and its removal will have a negative impact on the other sections.

The P&R section exists to remove these two topics from the general off topic section, because of the amount of threads, replies, and views they generate.

I bet almost all of you that haven't been "burned, discouraged, turned off, etc" from reading or posting in P&R and are unequivocally against the section, would agree with my statement that it is vile only while unreasonable arguments and attacks are allowed to take place.

Do you think the Senate floor turns into absolute chaos? I'm sure once in a while it does! However, a majority of the time the most serious issues we quite often only scratch the surface of are debated and voted on, and they are capable of doing it without a flame war breaking out.

If you are not capable of playing nice in P&R, you are instructed to no longer post there or you receive a temp ban as a warning. What is lacking in the P&R section is enforcement of the terms of service. Once this takes place, the P&R section can still remain informative, lively, and thought provoking. Some very long and mind opening threads are found in that section and these gems are buried amongst the rubble that has accumulated.

If someone doesn't play nice in the other sections, they will likely find their way to P&R at some point, and be red flagged. And, these same people who cause trouble in P&R are more likely to cause problems in other sections.

Am I completely wrong with this line of reasoning? I voted to leave P&R where it is. The problems with the P&R section are not with the subject matter, but with the posters themselves.

My 2 pence,
    Sunny

11. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Seems to me that the most vociferous P&R posters are as likely to be subscribed members as not, and so moving it won't really change the venom in that forum.

P&R has really deteriorated recently, but I think that it is just going through a phase and that it will change eventually. The number of regular posters in that forum is actually a very small percentage of the total members, and it seems to me that the number of participants is declining as people get fed up and leave P&R or stop posting much. While many of the threads might have more than 100 posts, they often are mostly the work of a handful of posters going back and forth at each other.

Leave it as it is. It will either improve to something more useful in which actual ideas are discussed, or it will continue down the path of personal attacks and will die of its own accord anyway.

John

12. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    P.S. This thread really should be made into a sticky and linked in the other sections of Off Topic in order to better guage the desires of the community, otherwise, the opinion of the few will override the many.

13. Mario Gonzalez

Mario Gonzalez Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Out of my mind

You read my mind Sunny, I agree with everything you wrote...

mario

14. Hessian

Hessian Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Full Name:
    Jonathan S.
    keep the rules as liberal as possible, but enforce them equitably and sternly. Assuming you're not comtemplating the change to entice additional subsriptions, then I would leave the P&R forum open to all who can abide the rules and ban them completely if they repeatedly demonstrate that they cannot. B&I seems far less inflammatory, and all of the off topic forums dilute the actual Ferrari chat just enough to make the website terrifically addictive.
    Admittedly, the reason I haven't subscribed yet is that I fear my occaisonal dabbling on the site will become a malignant compulsion if I do subscribe.
    HESSIAN

15. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Too late.

By recognizing the immense power of FerrariChat, you have set yourself upon a course which will lead to subscribing. Not because you have to, but because you want to.

Resistance is futile.

16. Mario Gonzalez

Mario Gonzalez Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Out of my mind

Rob,

Although Sunny pretty much said everything I wanted to say, you should hear it from an unsubscribed member like my self.

First and foremost I am a Ferrari aficionado. although I currently do not own an Fcar, this site is extremely informative for someone like me that is thinking of buying a Ferrari. I one day may become a subscribed member. With that said one of the most interesting parts of this site is the p&r , o/t , b&i sections. These sections show that true Ferrari fans have other interests besides their love for their cars. Frankly it's a nice diversion for some that don't want to think about turning wrenches or contemplating the changing of timing belts. I do agree that the O/T and the P/R sections to get lively and some posts are rough and some posters can get out of line, but you have rules in place to regulate, monitor, and enforce.

I do not feel it is in the best interest of this site to either restrict, block, or remove these sections and or unsubscribed members. This is what makes Ferrari Chat such a unique, informative and interesting place. This site is extremely successful partly due to contributions from ALL members subscribed and unsubscribed. If someone feels offended by either a section, a thread, or a post they have the option and the freedom of NOT reading what offends them.

as for worrying about the "public image", the only ones worrying are your competition. let them weep...

ENFORCE the rules but refrain from censorship and this great site will forever remain highly respected by all...

sincerely,

Mario Gonzalez

17. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René
    One of the many things that makes FerrariChat unique is that yes, it does have a P & R forum. After perusing the General and Technical Forums, I look over my local (United Kingdom) forum, then head for the P & R.

As might be expected, most of the discussions concern American politics and current affairs, but often the discussions are sufficiently interesting to invite contributions from elsewhere. Arguments can get heated and that is in the nature of the discussion, but there are plenty of F-chatters who calm things down by their more reasoned contributions.

During one lengthy exchange on the existence or otherwise of God, I brought the thread to the attention of a country vicar, a friend of mine who officiates at a church in a small village in England. He duly incorporated some of the discussion into a Sunday sermon, entertaining his congregation with the mention that this stimulating debate had occurred on F-Chat (I had asked him to plug the site).

FerrariChat is world class, it is a wonderful forum for F-car owners and admirers, it has brought people together in and across countries, it has a lively Lamborghini section and it has business, politics and religion. What other site in the world can claim this broad church? Well done and keep it, Rob

Texas Forever likes this.
  18. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Just a thought about P&R.

If you're modding you, you shouldn't post in it.

I don't think this hands-off rule need apply in any other section, but, how can anyone remain neutral and completely even handed in that particular section if they post an opinion into it?

I know this runs on a tangent to the original discussion here, but I'd like to see P&R stay where it is and maybe this suggestion would help.

Confine the angry discussions between members to this single loonie bin and pad the walls. They can fight it out, and mods can keep the doors closed so that the conflicts don't wander out into other topics.

And the best way to keep the crazies in P&R is to not let the lunatics run the asylum by having mods that post into P&R moderate it.

Just my 2 cents.

DM

19. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    #44 JaguarXJ6, May 30, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    I don't care about politics much since I rarely check it, but the business is interesting, and even though I'm not subscribed (I keep that for when I get the FCar ;)), I appreciate and learn quite a bit over there.
    On the other hand, I understand no one wants people signing up only to say "I've got a project, anyone have 20mil to invest?" ... but we're grown ups, aren't we?

21. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    That's how I would vote also... it doesn't fit the venue.

22. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    I say leave it, but make it silver.

We have all made friends here and should be able to discuss other aspects of life not just ferraris with the people whom we communicate with most often (fellow fchatters) but since it's not ferrari related, I would say move it to a subscribed area. That way can still get there without leaving fchat, but it's not on the "front page"

Just my .02

23. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Rob.....

So.....what happened anyways ?