Business v's Ferrari | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Business v's Ferrari

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by jameskino1, Aug 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aztec

Aztec Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2004
    Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Never had a bad word to say about Graypaul Nottingham! Lets hope it stays that way

sorry back on topic

If you can afford it and want it, buy it
    If your not sure for any reason DON'T, But once you have one you will allways want one
    Bet that helps loads:D

Dave

2. Stewart 430

Stewart 430 Guest

Well put dave.

3. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Jamie,

2 options

1. Buy the Ferrari and enjoy it now until you sell it and buy a Lamborghini ;-)
    2. Invest in the petrol station, earn even more money and hopefully buy a better Ferrari this time next year. Sell that and then buy an even better Lamborghini.

Either way, its all about timing. I know exactly what you mean. i'm only 26 and was going to buy a Diablo in March 2004. I held off, purchased a bloody penthouse, invested in the business and so on. In the long term, I know the car will be there and it'll be better than what was on offer originally.

Let us know what you do either way.

PS. Where abouts in Scotland are you from?

Regards,

Matthew

4. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Why not dabble with a 308 or 328, they're a bit cheaper than £75k. Once you've owned one you're hooked - Ferrari ownership is addictive.

But I agree with a couple of posts on here - if you really really wanted one you wouldn't be asking the question.

Rick

5. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    I agree with Ric. Perhaps set yourself a limit of 30K (financed) on something like a Testa, or 3x8. Then spend ALL of your free cash on the business. Best of both worlds!!!

Only problem is.... if your business goes tits up, you lose slightly more heavy like.

6. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Dave managed 5 days on the trot in Scotland a couple of weeks ago ;)

7. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    + if you get something older it's done it's depreciating and maintenance wil be less

8. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Lucky the tour wasnt longer!!!!!!!!!!!

9. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I can sympathise with this actually. One way of analysing your options is best case/worst case scenario planning, eg:

Petrol station
    Best case- you don't buy a car, business makes a whole $hitpile of money
    Worst case- you don't buy a car, business tanks

Car
    Best case- you buy a car, no undue problems, a dream come true
    Worst case- you buy a car, loads of problems, dream shattered and skint to boot

etc. You get the idea. You can and should be quantitative about it. I find it a useful tool for getting your thoughts in a row.

Personally, I always put business first on the pinciple that no business= no Ferraris. Having said that, I sold my 360 Modena to finance a new business. That never bloody happened in the end. That was 4 years ago and I still haven't got over it. Loved that car. So I'm in no position to give advice!

10. jameskino1

jameskino1 Rookie

May 10, 2005
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Jamie Mackay
    Ahhh stevep I iz finkin we're gonna have some fun in da future! Nice command of the english language by the way!

I'll take your advice and give you the same back 'dont mock until you've tried!'

Have you ever had service from Edinburgh Gray Paul??
    Have you ever expereinced there staff?
    Have you ever had you car arriving back in a sorry state.
    Have you ever experienced there prices?(Nottingham maybe different but i doubt it)
    Since I can answer YES to all of them then I wouold say I'm in a pretty good position to comment and most probabaly you are not (Nottingham aside of course)

So lets try and find an expleative ehhhh

I think your talking Bollox!

All in good fun of course :)

11. jameskino1

jameskino1 Rookie

May 10, 2005
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Jamie Mackay
    Dunfermline mate. I'll let you all know when it eventually arrives. I'm feckin addicted to this site. Some of the detective **** thats going on is top notch! Great Entertainment!

12. jameskino1

jameskino1 Rookie

May 10, 2005
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Jamie Mackay
    From my own expierences with the TVR a number of times(They have exactly the same staff as when it was Glenvarigill)

Next door neighbours experiences with his Tuscan

The TVR owners club meets

Ex Ferrari employees who worked there

Friends 355 Spider

No test drives for you sir

Phoned up about servicing, rip off. Wish we had a Verdis up here

Maybe it's just a number of isolated incidents but i doubt it!

13. jameskino1

jameskino1 Rookie

May 10, 2005
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Jamie Mackay
    I'mnot into the 308 or 328 even the 348. I'd rather just keep the TVR than those ones. I like new advanced stuff for some reason, just personal preference. The 355 Spider is beautiful but the 360 just ticks every box. You know which one you want when you stand next to it and get a shiver down your spine - if you know hwat I mean!

14. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    No test drives for you sir

Maybe it's just a number of isolated incidents but i doubt it![/QUOTE]
    It is not isolated incidents,and believe it or not as an existing owner I was also turned down for a test drive and by the same salesman I bought My 355 from! work that one out.

15. 355 Spyder

355 Spyder Rookie

Aug 7, 2005
    Surrey, UK
    I understand some of the points you have raised mate. Personally i am looking to buy a 355 soon. I have had 2 porsches and now the final piece in the puzzle is the 355 which i have loved since it first came out.

I have told my other half i am going to get one and if she doesnt like it then tough.
    The point i am trying to make is that once i have all my business and work stuff tied up then i will go and get a 355 simple. That could be 4 months or 1 year or 2 years if need be. I drive a ford fiesta at the moment and although its a bit of a stepdown from a 911 it makes sense and fits into my plans at present.
    You have to make sure all your other stuff is in place (Business, Property etc) Theres no point in having £200 in your account and buying a ferrari.

A Ferrari doesnt need justification, Just have a look at a 355 .....Automotive Perfection mate.

16. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Only when there's an MR2 underneath it!

17. 355 Spyder

355 Spyder Rookie

Aug 7, 2005
    Surrey, UK

Lol. no mate. I wonder what brightspark decided to make replica 355's? You cant imitate perfection.

I remember when i was in my 911 and an idiot in an obvious replica pulled up next to me with his ugly bird and tried to rev his tinpot 2.5 engine.

The look on his face when i said "thats the crappest replica i have seen mate" was absolutely priceless. Then of course i left him standing. :)

18. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    I remember you know!!!!

By the way.......I divorced the silly cow.

19. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Could'nt disagree more. If you want a Ferrari and it means reducing a healthy bank balance to £200, then so be it.

This is EXACTLY what I did and don't regret it for a minute. Well, not exactly.
    It ate a big chunk of overdraft too!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

20. 355 Spyder

355 Spyder Rookie

Aug 7, 2005
    Surrey, UK

Lol. Quality mate. As for me i just dont want to go to a petrol pump and put in a fiver in a 355 and if thats not bad enough then not even have enough cash to buy a packet of 10 lambert and butlers mate.

Hopefully should get a 355 towards the middle of 2006.