But is it art? (Marc Newson's Ferrari book on a stand that seems to be of Ferrari parts) | FerrariChat

But is it art? (Marc Newson's Ferrari book on a stand that seems to be of Ferrari parts)

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by bitzman, Sep 27, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    So you take an advant garde artist like Marc Newson and you take a avant garde publishing house like Taschen and this is Ferrari art. Or is it an elaborate case for a special book? I've seen a lot of illustrations of the stand but none of the book within. It came out in 2018 as a special edition and I saw one priced at $6000 on the net. Here's their description off the website https://marc-newson.com/ferrari-art-collectors-edition/:
    "A project conceived in close collaboration with Ferrari, this tome is a collector’s piece from Taschen. Limited to 1,947 signed and numbered copies, the handcrafted leather-bound and hand-stitched Collector’s Edition is unparalleled in scale and is enclosed in a Ferrari engine–inspired aluminium case designed by Marc. Each Collector’s Edition (No. 251–1,947) is signed by Piero Ferrari. The Art Edition (No. 1–250) is further accompanied by a sculpture evocative of the 12-cylinder engine in hand-bent, flared chromed steel, also designed by Marc.

“I knew immediately what I wanted to design because Ferrari is all about racing and the engines. One of the most iconic and significant engines of the period was the famed V12 250 engine, which I think represents a particular type of Italian technical mastery - that became my immediate source of inspiration. I essentially wanted to shoe-horn this book into a Ferrari engine.”
    -------------------------------------------------

Can anyone who has seen the book tell us if the book is worthy of part of that price?
    Lest anyone think it's one artist knocking another, I'm not a sculptor...yet.
    . Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Seen the book & stand on several occasions. Both are well executed. I'm not convinced by the contents of the book, but I guess that is besides the point. This is a conversation piece to be exhibited in a nice room/library. Worth the money? Not for me. Is it art? Probably not, but who knows time will tell.

ChoroQ and Rosey like this.
  3. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I'll try to post the picture again. The cam covers have the same finish as some Ferraris but can't tell if they are actually from a certain model.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    No certain model, they were inspired by the 250 series, that‘s all.

Rosey likes this.
  5. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    btw 6.000 USD is the small edition without stand, the version with headers were 25.000 Euro

Marcel Massini likes this.
  6. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Personally I think both editions were substantially overpriced for the content.

kandi, Jack-the-lad and Lusso123 like this.
  7. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    #7 bitzman, Sep 28, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    The one picture I did see (of an opening page) was black and white. I am trying to warm up to black and white
    (once I was a big fan of Ansel Adams) but been spoiled by color for so long, In the case of a book on historical Ferraris done in black and white, even if the picture quality and lighting wasn't great I'd be interested if it revealed an interesting moment in Ferrari history or gave you some insight into the key figure's personality, like a shot of Enzo as driver.(don't know if it's in the book) So until I see the book, my rating is neutral. Nice repro red crackle cam covers, tho....

Attached Files:

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's a well known picture of young Enzo, he will have to better than that, for $25K.

kandi and Rosey like this.
  9. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I still think it‘s much more an object than a book and i have spend money much more stupid than on this.
    But to be straight it‘s one of the very few books i sold, it‘s hard to handle and didn’t find a proper place at home.
    Perhaps the big stand version would have been better as a corner object…

My Opus which i got from Jody Scheckter personally is the only heavyweight book i can live with, but i will always hate giant books… :D

Lusso123 likes this.
  10. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Agreed, I have the Opus book that is still in it's original cardboard box and I haven't opened it in years.
    I also hate oversized books, just too hard to read and enjoy.

11. Seppefan

Seppefan Karting

Aug 24, 2021
    I never buy the oversized. Need to sit happily on a shelf and on my lap.

Rosey and Lusso123 like this.