Button to leave BAR | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Button to leave BAR

Discussion in 'F1' started by daz355, Aug 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Again, I disagree :)
    You will see its going to be close.

2. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Oh, I agree as well......you just know which side I'm rooting for. :)

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hmmm, you guys appear to be serious ... wow, what has Fisi done to make you such believers?

Alonso has become the youngest ever winner of a F1 GP ... the Renault team love him, and even with the last race (even though he was beaten by JB) the team praised him for being able to drive at such pace with one of his barge boards missing.

But it will be interesting to watch ... I just cannot see this talent many see in Fisi ... ??

Pete

4. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    it will be a year of actual racing!!! REMEMBER THAT WORD????????????

RACING

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Lets not let the fan in you get in the way ... I'm not talking about who you want to win, but who is faster.

Again Fisi's record is as dull as Panis's ... what gives with your support?

Pete

6. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    This willl be the first time Webber will be up against someone who is experienced. He has blown away his opposition completely. This time it will be different. If he beats Button i will be super-impressed.

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes huge test for Mark. All I can do is hope he comes out on top ... but it is impossible to say until they actually race each other.

Not quite as big for Button, but then again you always have to beat team mate!

Pete

8. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Fisi has outqualified and outraced (except one season against Wurz) every teammate he's gone against. Keep in mind, this includes Ralf Schumacher, Jenson Button, and Takuma Sato. :)

Very few racers can claim that...

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Interesting ... I don't rate RS, but I do JB. I wonder what happened when racing with Wurz ... because he is nowhere now.

Okay I watch with interest, but I think the main difference is that Alonso is still improving while Fisi has long since peaked.

Pete

10. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    We'll see...about that peaking issue. Fisichella really just dismantled Wurz over 3 seasons and someone decided Wurz couldn't cut it. And that was that.

11. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Button leaving BAR seems a mistake since the team and the car is making a huge come back... Who knows where Williams are going to be with the ugly twin keel nose! If I were Button I would continue to develop the car (BAR) and give Ferrari a real competition.

12. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    Everyone seemed to pass up Mr. Payne's comment on RB. Well, I personally think he is the #2 driver out of all the rest of the drivers in the big 4 if you ask me. I'm sure many others here agree to that as well. Especially against unproven Sato's, Fisi's, Webber's, Alonso's, etc.

13. dapper

dapper Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This could well be the biggest mistake in JB's career. As said before here many times, he's with a team on a high, all pulling together, gets on extremely well with Dave Richards (thats not easy from what I hear on the inside, my father has met him on many occasions), the car is getting very quick, the Honda just seems to get better (in Jensons car that is!).

On the other hand BMW Williams at this point in time come across as a complete shambles, totally inconsistent, technically lost in the wilderness, the ugly nosed car is just not performing. At least P Head has accepted defeat and is taking more of a backseat role now. Further, wake up Jenson, this team was the very one that dumped on you from a great height in favour of the WPM, full of early promise but never really came through with delivery.

So whats changed that lures JB back? In my opinion it can only boil down to $, and for that he will loose support, that old greed thing always surfaces.

Regarding Mark Webber versus Jenson Button, I fail to see why you think they are worthy of comparison, sure Weber good but I'm sorry he's not in the same league, Damon Hill would be quicker even today, and Mika Hakinen would cream him. Mark Webber is being boosted by the media but he really aint that good, he's one of the seemingly many also rans that pop up these days (and I include Fisichella in that group).

14. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I think MW and JB will do well coming in 3rd and 4th all next year :)

If they ain't driving red cars with horses on the front I don't give a tinkers...

Webber is more hard-nosed and hasn't been handed the seat on a golden platter like Button has and provided Williams can come up with a decent car we may see some good racing forthe minor placing next year, I still consider Ferrari to be sandbagging

15. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i think button is crazy. webber is going to be getting the better treatment from sam michael coz they r mates. button should have stayed with bar and taken them to the top - the benefits from that would have easily exceeded what he might get from being at williams. let alone the fall-out from his kick at bar.

nb, maybe richards will take back jv and mikka hakkinen and show the world what the bar can do !!!! (i know- wishful thinking)

16. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    With all the driver shuffling, I think next year will be a very interesting year.

17. owsi

owsi Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Maybe this is why Button is going back. Williams is ditching the walrus nose.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=21889

I can see the conversation now:

JB "Well, gee Frank, I'd love to come and drive for you, but I can't possibly drive that horrible ugly thing. Just because JPM doesn't know what a walrus is and therefore doesn't get the jokes doesn't mean I don't either!"

FW "Are you sure? You don't think it looks cool and menacing?"

JB "It looks like a walrus. How menacing is a walrus? Or, for that matter how aerodynamic is a walrus?"

FW "What if we ditch the Walrus?"

JB "Throw in a pile of cash and I'll think about it."

18. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    not coming up with excuses already for Button are you Ross ??? :)

19. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    But remember, Jensen is British: "I am the Walrus (gook ook a chook)!"

Doncha just love the silly season? ;)

Hey, at least all the "lame duck driver grudge matches" will liven up the rest of this year, after the titles have already been clinched.

20. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    My money is on Webber let's wait and see

21. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    They paid him 10 mil a year and he delivered very little.

22. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    David Richards is so stupid to try to block Jenson's move through a legal battle. Does he really think that it would be good for the team to work with a driver that clearly wants to leave?

I think it will be
    Williams - Jenson & Webber
    BAR- Anthony Davidson and Mika Hakkinen

Sato's contract ends after this season and since BAR have already secured a Honda engine deal for the next 3 years, they no longer need to put up with the Japanese poster boy. Mika Hakkinen is also wanting to make a come back and will be the perfect experienced teammate for the relatively inexperienced Anthony Davidson.

23. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    Seems like a pipe dream to me.

But now that I think more about this, it was really a bad move. He surely would have been able to get a promise for more money after his contract ended in 2005 at BAR, but now he just gets the money with a team that is up in the air as to its fate.

24. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    At this point in time, I don't know if Williams is the better choice. Honda is certainly on the uprise, and we all know what they are capable of.

Williams is not the team they used to be. They are certainly capable of putting themselves into position to win a championship, however I think the team is changing forever. Patrick Head has already stepped down, and Frank has talked about preparing for retirement. Once the team is being run by someone else, it can easily slip into mid-pack permanently.

If it were me, and I had the choice, I think I would stay with BAR.

25. AHMTHSSN

AHMTHSSN Karting

Apr 16, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    AH
    I think Button should stay at BAR. They have improved alot and now that they have signed a new deal with Honda it gives them stability.

Does anyone know if money was one of the reasons? (thats if he goes)