Buy an F40 or 360 CS? | FerrariChat

Buy an F40 or 360 CS?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Challenge64, Oct 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I'm selling my 360 spider and am thinking of either an F40 or 360 Stradale...

What's everyones thoughts?

btw - this is NOT something for the track..so leave that out as a consideration. Those that know ...I've raced in the Challenge series for a couple of years as well as SCCA, Pro Formula Mazda, and a few other series...and a new race car planned for the near future :)

2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Well for one you're looking at another $75+ g's for the F40 for a clean one. It depends on what you're into i.e. old school classic or pretty much the latest in technology. Personally I like the latest and greatest. The F40 will most likely hold its value more.

3. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    360 CS.

JMO

4. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
  5. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    360 CS. Great Car.

6. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    F40 screams class. It will most likely only appreciate in value as well.

7. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ron, this should have been a poll. It would have made it easier to keep track of all the answers!
    I'd take the 360CS IMO

8. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    F40 now. Save up for a couple of years and buy the CS when the F430 version comes out.

Both are very different cars (which you know)...

9. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
  10. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Hey Ron

Come over and check them out side by side.

They are similar in the spartan nature of the cabins but they are really very different cars in every other respect.

I really think carefully about where I can park the F40 because it draws a crowd everytime and it is challenging to drive in urban traffic. The turbo boost is sudden and huge and the brakes really don't instill confidence if they can't get some heat in them by being used hard. The CS is just a sharper, tighter 360 - very competent and very quick, but also relatively drama free.

I'm fortunate to have the choice and I enjoy them both.

11. millerphatty

millerphatty Karting
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Davenport, IA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Miller
    The F40 will maintain its value longer and will only appriciate! The CS is much like the challange cars and you can see the market is lower for those cars. I would definately try both cars out!! The F40 can be a real pain to get in and out of and there is not much room once you are in there. however the CS seems a bit more civilized and user friendly.

Roland Linder and Johnny Ferrari in Rocky Mountian can elaborate as they have much more expierence with both autos than myself. But If you do get an F40 I am sure they will let you into the "Follow Roland Around the World Tour"

PS it may be easier to finance the CS as it is a newer car, but right now Kia is offering 1.9% for 60 months!!! Just something to think about!

12. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    For me, 360CS would likely receive more frequent use (due, in large part, to greater ground clearance and, er, lesser spectacle). F40'd be a car for the weekends (and the ages).

Nice choice to have. Though if it must be either/or? I'd go 40 (all day long).

13. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    For what it's worth, if I had to get rid off all my cars except one, there's no question at all that the F40 would be the one to stay.

14. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Great point! I would choose the F40, but I have never been a practical guy! Would be a solid investment though...

15. ponyup360

ponyup360 Rookie

Feb 15, 2004
    Huntington BEach, Ca
    Full Name:
    Jerry Lotter
    If it is one or the other then it depends on who you are. Are you a weekend warrior? (F40). Great track car but seriously that is hardly a car for the street. Go with the latest technology and drive the car to work. Remember you are the boss. Who cares what they think.

16. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Geez you guys crack me up. I drove an F40 extensively on the street for two years. There was absolutey nothing wrong with it. Maybe the clutch is a LITTLE heavy, but the gearbox, brakes, steering and ride all feel great! It rarely scraped apart from steepish driveways and never over any normal road at any (even rather fast) speeds. As for the "sudden" boost...I disagree. Sure, maybe if you've never driven one you might get a surprise, but unless you are absolutely hopeless as a driver there is no way you can't anticipate it every single time.

The only thing is...yep....you end up with one hell of a crowd!

If you need ABS, power steering, traction control etc, then go for the 360.

Brakes? Well, after about 6-7 laps they'd start to shudder in the F40, but I never got fade (standard discs/pads). On the street, obviously, no problem!

17. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  18. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    That´s good to hear from someone who owns a ´04 Carrera GT!

Other than that:

I am very jealous of people who are actually put in front of the choice between a F40 and a CS. Can you imagine my envy when one owns both!

Well, anyway, go with the F40. It´s eighty-style Ferrari at its best. This car is a true icon and will always remain a true icon. The CS is supposed to be fantastic, and I´ll bet she is, but she is no icon, nor will she ever be.

19. widdlewade

widdlewade Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2004
    Bay Area/NYC
    Depending on what you use it for, the F40 probably will be worth more when you sell it. I don't think the same can be said of the CS, especially when Ferrari introduces a 430 based version of it. If you want a modern historical perspective look at the similar (Speciale/Challenge?) versions of the 348 and the 355 and see how they held their values. The 348 version would be better comparison since the 355 version was an update of the 348, just as the 430 is an update of the 360.

20. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    CS because it's an everyday car and much more comfortable thant the F40.

21. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
  22. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    The F40 is an "event" to drive I would think. I was just talking to a buddy that has one and he will never sell it...but said it does take some effort and attention to drive.

I may sell my spyder because I don't want all the attention while I am driving. People ask you stuff or the the "wanna trade" or "wanna drag" crap.

F40 would be worse...but at least on the road you can roll up the windows.

Parked my CS gets more attention but they may be because it is red. I will say I want to drive it even to run an errand to the store. It is that joyous and fun.

I like light cars and like to know where the real estate ends on the ass end.

23. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    But if those were the criteria, a BMW M5 would do the trick just nicely.

24. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Another thing that may be worth considering is how often you like to switch cars, and how important having the "it" car is. Because, as cool as the 360 CS is, there'll be a 430 CS (or equivalent) that will trump it. The F40 is likely to have some lasting cred, I think.

25. F40org

F40org Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2004
    Munich / Ft. Myers(FL)
    Full Name:
    Rolando
    F40 is a Mythos.

If you are a real ferraristi catch a F40 as long as it is possible to buy a good original for a "normal" price. It is also the last one which Enzo presented by himself.

Attention. The F40 is hard to you when you go fast with it. This car is from an other generation. It is no Ferrari for every day or raining weather.

The F40 is for free roads in the early morning. It is heavenly when the twin torbo charger push the car.

The CS is an complete other car. But also very fasinating.