Buy an F40 or 360 CS? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Buy an F40 or 360 CS?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Challenge64, Oct 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    then i suggest you get one!

2. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Alex, this brings me to my question for you, how do you decide what to drive?
    I have two cars, a 355 and a highly modified 996 powered boxster. I sometimes am not sure until I turn the key, which one i am going to drive. If I had to make that choice in your gargage....well it boggles my mind!
    I like that you would keep the f40 over all the rest, its my favorite too. Have you had much seat time in the gt yet? Hoping to drive one some day.

3. fuse

fuse Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2004
    I really like the M5...but I just drove the Maserati Quattroporte last week and I really like it. It is very much like the M5, but doesn't understeer when you push the car...It doesn't have the torque like the M5. I really like it...better than the current M5 for sure...and more backseat room.

I think that the CS is the same type of car as F40, but different era...it really has to come down to what you are looking for. Obviously the trick is to have both. I think that the F40 is a bit pricey now, not to say that they won't go up further or that CS will be as strong as F40 has been. Go check out Alexpappas cars and see what turns you more. Out of all my favorite f cars...I like the CS the best right now.

4. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Thanks for all the input!

My choice is an F40...If a good car can be found. However wife wants me to get the CS..actually she doesnt even want me to sell the 360 Spider.

My problem with the CS is that all the cars I see are still over MSRP, its the FOTM car, and could potentially have some steep depriciation in a year or so

additionally..the 348 SS and the 355 Fiorano are all limited production cars that are still great cars, but really just been replaced by better cars as the years go by, while the F40 is still an iconic car that still after 12 yrs or so, still drawns comparisions. So as the 430 comes out...it could be in a few years a really cool 430 stradale kinda car will be built

Valuewise I think an F40 is the better deal as is the wow factor.

5. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    I (used to) drive my F40 on any day. I just don't drive it everyday.....

But I have been thinking of adding a CS to the fold.....

F40 raw and simple

CS sophisticated and technical

Rick

6. fuse

fuse Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2004
    F40 would be great to add to the spyder!

7. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Ron, your Spider is one of the best looking ones out there. The color is perfect and your better half is right - keep it and get an F40 for it's long term value, it's historical value and really for when you want to ride a beast into the wild blue yonder, early on a Sunday morning when everyone else (including DPS) is still asleep.

8. SimonA

SimonA Karting

Sep 2, 2004
    Wilton, Ct.
    Full Name:
    Simon Adams
    360 CS. Much more drivable. You will feel more comfortable using it more. It also will be loads more fun. Just my thoughts.

Cheers,

9. ben, lj

ben, lj Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    You mean like the F50 did the F40 and Enzo did the F50?

10. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    No.

11. ben, lj

ben, lj Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    so you're referring to a different kind of trumping?

12. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    These two aren't comparable... How do you compare a one of the finest classic super Ferrari to a upgrade V8. Just because it's newer?
    There was a story like that here in Thailand. There are only three F40 in Thailand and no more because the law permit no import of used cars to Thailand. So that's it these three. And the guy sold his F40 to get a brand new freshly smell F360 three years ago when it was came out. The man has been crying ever since... He is known as "the guy who sold the F40"...... At Ferrari meeting, we kind of look at him and say to ourselve,"Ya, that's him...."

ShineKen likes this.
  13. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Nope. Just trumping in general. Tom Cruise has Steve McQueen's job these days. And maybe you think he goes about it in a better way than Steve did. Then again, maybe you don't. FWIW, I'm cool either way.

14. Tubi

Tubi Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2004
    Athens
    Full Name:
    Hari
    Thats a very tough but 'good' decision to have to make.

Both are amazing cars and both my favourite ferraris! and i have been fortunate enough to have been in both.

Yes it is true that the f40 will hold its value better, but if your not too concerned about issues like that, then in a nutshell - as you are in such a fortunate position to make such a choice BUY THE F40!!!! i dont think you will regret it! it is a legend of a car.

15. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Peter
    I'd love an F40, but it isn't street legal in Aust, how did you drive it "extensively" on the street for two years? I can understand occaisional jaunts on trade plates, but not much more. What's the secret?

16. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt Karting

Jul 31, 2004
    There's a guy in Tasmania who drives it everywhere.

I'd suspect that you register it as a CAMS III race car which allows you to drive it to and from events.

But I imagine that in Tasmania, the cops are very lenient on that sort of thing but that wouldn't be the case in metropolitan centres.

T.

17. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I had a trade plate permanently mounted to it. The only time I got a hard time was by a female cop on a bike who had an attitude issue, and told me, at the end of our conversation, how she hated Ferraris and Lamborghinis anyway, and that they were all ugly. Otherwise, every time I was stopped, and there were a number of occasions, it was just for a chat. Once, I was stopped for speeding after coming off the tulla freeway, and the cop just asked me to follow him to Dawson St Police headquaters (obviously I was in coburg) to show his mates. No one, apart from the chick cop, was at all interested in its registration issues. Maybe I was just lucky.

18. Looney

Looney F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    Gold Coast
    Full Name:
    BB
    Hi Guys,

Just some info on driving cars in Tassie.

My understanding is that Tasmania does not require compliance with ADR's so you can basically drive any car you like over there (its a bit like new zealand), however you cant bring them anywhere else in Australia unless they meed ADR's and other requirements.

There was a guy here in perth who purchased John Bowe's EVO4 lancer from Tassie and brought it over. It was fully street legal in Tas but not in WA. He took DOT to court and got it licensed, but still just a little anecdote for you.

Also I beleive you could street register one in Perth as WA allows LHD cars with full reg. So if you bring one over under the 15 year rule, you will have a street reg'd F40 to play with.

Moral of the story, move to Tassie or WA, as long as you dont mind things being too sleepy :)

19. AmoCS

AmoCS Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Amo
    Interesting thread back in 2004, if only you could see the future....

20. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    What was the market price for an F40 and CS at the time?

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  21. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    didn't realize the date. I was thinking the two cars aren't even close to being in the same market.

22. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    f40 was probably 300 to 350k in 04.

ShineKen likes this.
  23. Enzo Sebastian

Enzo Sebastian Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2020
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Laurence Sebastian
    Wow. I scrolled past this topic quite some times. I thought the F40 was a typo and a '3' was missed :|

24. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Did he ever decide ? Be fun to hear the rest of the story .... :)

MDS

25. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Wish I had that crystal ball in 2004

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk