Buyers beware of this 1995 matte black 355 spider in SoCal | FerrariChat

Buyers beware of this 1995 matte black 355 spider in SoCal

Discussion in '348/355' started by carguy007, Nov 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    Gentlemen,

Everyone on here has always been helpful and I wanted to alert the community. Against my better knowledge I made the mistake of looking at this car despite its salvage title. Seller claimed it was a theft but once I saw the car it was clear where it had been crashed. I want to make sure that no one else is mislead with this car and wastes their time and money like I did. The seller is very dishonest about the condition of the car and stated it's in excellent condition. Car smokes like crazy and he had me drive 8 hours knowing that there was a serious issues with the car. The car blows out a redicuous amount of smoke. When you start it, drive it and the smoke is so thick you can barely see the back of the car. It is definitely in need of valve guides at a minimum and the oil pressure does not seem right. Additionally the temp seems to run a little hotter than it should and the clutch makes some weird noise. Car almost died on me twice. It's too bad because I thought with a belt service and paint job it could have been a nice addition to my 360. The roof had some small tears in it too. Watch it for this seller the car should not be hard too miss with the matte black and being a 1995 model.

Qavion likes this.
  2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  3. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    Zffpr48a9s0103141

4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #4 johnk..., Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  5. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Was this car ever in Santa Barbara?

6. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  7. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
  8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Interestingly the video I watched show NO smoke. Could this be a cold vs. warm issue? I know diddly about 355's, so this is more curiosity than anything else. When the guides start to go, if you get up to operating temp do they smoke less, or not at all? If these sit for a while do they pool oil that takes a little bit of tie to burn off?

Could the smoke carguy007 saw be a result of someone who doesn't know what he's doing overfilling the oil?

There was a note in the thread listed above about the running temp looking high in the photos. And the seller does note that he doesn't really know anything about Ferraris.

D

9. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Dave - yes, overfilled oil does cause smoke.

10. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

So you have a seller who doesn't understand the cars, video of the car recently running not making smoke, and the OP says now it smokes. A look at the oil level, particularly after an 8 hour drive to see the car, might have explained what was going on? Would that also possibly explain the oil PRESSURE issue?

Rough running if the plugs are fouled by burning off the oil?

Visual inspection of the other issues could explain the temp, look and see if fans are running when the car got to operating temp?

I'm not suggesting the OP jumped the gun with his thread, just thinking out loud that maybe some of this was, for a Ferrari, a relatively easy fix or at least not hard to diagnose?

Does show the danger of trying to buy a salvage car, from a guy who appears to be a dealer, who has zero knowledge of the history of the car or even a rudimentary knowledge of how the car should operate.

D

11. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Remember, there are always 3 sides to a story ;)

Yassa likes this.
  12. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

That is for sure. :confused:

Sometimes I think there are about 7 or 8. :eek:

Just trying to interject a small voice of reason before we trash the seller and the car along with my learning something about 355's.

D

13. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

"Right", "wrong" and "my" version

97 Spider and Yassa like this.
  14. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    Guys this is not a case of overfill. Car smokes cold and warm. I have seen overfilled cars and I am confident this is not a case of that. I checked the oil when the car was hot and it's not overfilled. Car smokes in all conditions and we are not talking just a little. Especially if you rev the car and on deceleration when you come off the gas. It did get a little better as the got up to operating temperature but the guides and seals need to be replaced. Also you can look at the car fax and clearly deduce when the problem likely started as the it covered very low miles over the course of 5-6 years. Being a 95 and without trying to start a massive debate on the guides and seals it does have the original version which have documented failures.

The fans were running and this seller is dishonest and had me drive 8 hours pay for a hotel and spend around $500 hoping he could convince me to buy the car knowing it has serious issues that will be very costly to fix. Not to mention the true nature of the salvage which he states as theft and clearly not the case.

15. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I honestly think the biggest black mark on the car is having been previously owned by Suge Knight. Does anyone think he could have possibly taken proper care of a car like this ? Absolutely not. He is a use, abuse, toss it guy. Ruins everything he touches.

16. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Suge Knight? Wow its true i would not buy anything he drove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Fill us in about Suge Knight. This is getting to be an entertaining thread.

18. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Well for starters didn’t 2pac get shot riding with him?;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yassa likes this.
  19. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Its better for you to google. Too much for this thread

20. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    When did they release the car from the evidence impound?

(Joke, maybe)

21. GladH8Her

GladH8Her Rookie

Aug 3, 2015
    14137 VIBURNUM DR
    Full Name:
    PETE NORWICH
    This guy is a total idiot that does not know what he is talking about. I told him that I did not know much about the car and the report said theft salvage. Again I am a reluctant owner and just wanted to get rid of it at a reasonable price. He runs a pawn shop so that should tell you something about his character. He came when we agreed on a deal and proceeded to lowball the crap out of me like a typical pawn broker.
    Beware of this low baller!!! If you wanted a Ferrari with no issues then go bother someone with a non salvaged car. You want something for nothing. Why don’t you stick with coins and jewelry and forget about cars.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

22. GladH8Her

GladH8Her Rookie

Aug 3, 2015
    14137 VIBURNUM DR
    Full Name:
    PETE NORWICH
    The problem was overfill which was corrected

23. GladH8Her

GladH8Her Rookie

Aug 3, 2015
    14137 VIBURNUM DR
    Full Name:
    PETE NORWICH
    The video is evidence that it does not smoke.

24. GladH8Her

GladH8Her Rookie

Aug 3, 2015
    14137 VIBURNUM DR
    Full Name:
    PETE NORWICH
    Sug knight never owned it lol. It was the president at one time not shug

25. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Peter - you just recently posted an F40 forsale. Are you a dealer / broker?