Buying a 2015 458 for $126K, is it a scam? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Buying a 2015 458 for $126K, is it a scam?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MacDemarco, Sep 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    not at all. ive bought over 50 cars in 20 years, every way under the sun, sight unseen off ebay as well as using intermediaries. every deal/acquisition is different. using guys like sackey and mike totally makes sense especially for people who find it daunting!

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  2. MacDemarco

MacDemarco Rookie

Aug 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mac Demarco
    Thanks for your guys help. Yup it's a scam.

Here's what happened, I originally found the car on carsforsale, here's the link: https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/58126678

the next day I checked and it said "sold" so I asked the scammer through email and he said it was still available (lol). I contacted West End Motors Inc which was provided on the link above and emailed them. They called me and said the other day their website was hacked and the hacker used their pictures. He told me over 150+ called them.

Hopefully this helps anyone in the future

obbob and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    well that was fun while it lasted

4. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
  5. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Oh, on that note, I remembered a wise man once said the cheapest Ferrari is actually the most expensive.

MacDemarco and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  6. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Pretty common scam attempt. Been around for many years.

7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Glad you didn't go too far down that rabbit hole.

Sadly, this sort of stuff happens all over the place. Here are a few I can think of just off the top of my head:

1. My next door neighbor told me one day about how some 22 year old Russian exchange student was coming to live with him for the summer. I was just driving by his house and stopped to chat for a second; when he told me the story, I said "It's a scam Jeff". He tells me no, no, no, it's real. She needs a place to live for school; they met on some website. Shows me all sorts of photos, etc, etc. This goes on for a week or more; he keeps telling me it's real, I keep telling him it's a scam. He won't believe me. Finally I tell him what's going to unfold: she's going to say she's stuck at the airport or something and needs him to send her emergency money (or something). "No man she's coming for the summer". Okay, so I tell him, "Since you don't believe me, just call immigration and see if there is a Visa in her name; she can't exactly just waltz into our country from Russia without papers". The next time I drive by and stop to talk with him, he says, "You were right, it was a scam. I called and they never heard of her; she didn't have any ticket, no info, never text me back again".

2. I found a really great deal on an Oscilloscope, but it was in Germany. Price was way too low to be real. I email the guy back and forth, he sends all sorts of information. I ask for the serial #, he sends it. I call the company who makes the machine, "That's not any serial # we ever used".

3. One day I stop by my friend's repair shop. He and his friend want my opinion on something... the one guys says, "Someone from the middle east contacted us.. they need some banking information to get money out of their country". Me: It's a scam. They absolutely refuse to believe me. Not sure what they did after that, but when I was leaving the shop (after telling the guy for the 10th time that it was a common scam), the guy was still talking about how it couldn't hurt to setup a back account and send the information to see what happens.

4. through 26. - every stock market, penny stock, anything listed on the Canadian Exchange, thinly traded BS story you can imagine...

27. A few years ago someone emails me via eBay of all places. The email says something like, "Sorry to bother you, but I found your picture on your eBay profile - are you a 58 year old man living in Kentucky and are we in love?" I write back, "That's a picture of me all right, but we ain't in love". Turns out it's an older woman in her mid 50's in some backwater state like Alabama or something. She's been emailing someone using my photos for months off ChristianMingle.com.

She was quite disappointed to find out that 1. it wasn't me, 2. we weren't in love and about to have a life together, and 3. that I was an Atheist...

Caveat Emptor

:)

Ray

8. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015

This is actually quite a weak argument you made on behalf of Mike or someone like him. The op didn't fall for the scam. His gestalt told him to check with us. He didn't get skinned at all.

Difficult water, you said. Really? How difficult hasit been for you? If you are too busy to find a car you like and pay someone else to do it, it's actually a different story than difficult waters.

MacDemarco likes this.
  9. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Ray, awesome stories. As long as one balances between amount of greed one has and misappropriation of luck dependence, and add on common sense, scammers are not going to be able to do too much.

RayJohns likes this.
  10. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    There are a lot of dishonest people in the world, that's for sure. You have to be on your toes every second.

Ray

11. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Things that are too good to be true are indeed too good to be true.

12. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    OK, I bought it....you suckers missed out. Paid $25k to the transportation company to get things started, and I'm financing through the former interior minister of Nigeria, who only wanted 2 months of payment to qualify for a 0.5% interest rate.

Psst....amateurs

13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    A fool and his money shall soon part. Don’t be a fool.

14. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    You know his sister sent me an email:

Hello DEAR!!

How are you and your family?

This message is to keep you informed that I have selected you as one of my beneficiary to receive the sum of (US$2.5M) through Bank of America, New York, to your bank account.

This money was deposited by my late husband in the Bank of America and our plan was to use it for international investment before his sudden death, and considering my present bad health Condition which my last date have been confirmed by my doctors. I have decided to entrust this fund to your hand for charity works in your country.

Contact Mr. Thomas K. Montag at E-MAIL; ([email protected]) for more details, I have already given them authorization to transfer the fund to you as soon they receive your details, kindly reconfirm the following information's:

-Your Full Name……………………………………………………

-Your Residence Address………………………………………

-Your Phone Number…………………………………………….

-Your bank account details…………………………………….

May the grace of the lord and fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you. Please, on my behalf you there pray to god almighty to grant me more time here on earth.

I await your urgent reply.

Yours in Christ

Mrs. BERNTSEN LORRAINE RUTH

15. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    A scam ending in “yours in Christ”... :eek:

Jesus! :cool:

Kind regards,

Nuno.

19633500GT likes this.
  16. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    definitely a scam. Now try that 2012 with over 50k miles for 129 and see if it's any good lol

17. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Some are pure scams but some are real cars that were originally destroyed beyond any possibility of repair.
    They have some real artist craftsmen in Poland who can restore such car to as new condition so have to be careful with those too.
    There is an old joke in Poland about this:
    A guy bought a Ferrari severely damaged in an accident in Germany and imported it to Poland to fix it.
    After about 2 months returned to the body shop and the owner scratching his head says: no matter how we try, we can't get a Ferrari out of that wreck, everytime we get an old phone booth from Dusseldorf.

18. Hypek9

Hypek9 Karting

Apr 9, 2012
    Australia
  19. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Hmm.
    So the correct way to "scam" is to be patient and price the car to the market?

20. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    How could anyone even THINK this is real for a second, my goodness..you think someone will ship a car from Poland for you to inspect before buying? lol..Same scam was going around with a 993 Turbo