Buying a 360 | FerrariChat

Buying a 360

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by tom petruccelli, Jun 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tom petruccelli

Jun 5, 2018
    Full Name:
    THOMAS PETRUCCELLI
    Hello out there. I am in the market for a manual 360 Modena that is in great shape. I have looked at and driven both F1s and manuals. I will have a PPI done before purchase - although I have a few top level questions:
    1) What is a fair sales price for one in very good shape, 15-20K mi. 2002-04?
    2) What are things to watch out for before purchasing?
    3) Do they typically scrape going into inclines, driveways, dips or speed bumps?
    4) What are some repairs (bang for buck) one might perform, if mechanically inclined?
    5) So many have after market exhaust systems, do they have inherent design issues?
    6) What is the best after market exhaust (can you use after market headers with stock muffler?
    7) One of the ones I have in mind has squeaky breaks - is that a problem
    8) Best way to handle sticky vents?

Thank you
    Tom

2. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    1) What is a fair sales price for one in very good shape, 15-20K mi. 2002-04?
    I am in the service end and really can't help with this one.
    2) What are things to watch out for before purchasing?
    It's a car like any car, car fax, inspection to look for corrosion and rust, leaks, and unusual wear for the mileage.
    3) Do they typically scrape going into inclines, driveways, dips or speed bumps?
    This model is not bad, inclines are best handled at an angle. Dips are usually not an issue, speed bumps as well are not an issue unless you make the car bounce hard, then it will hit. If it does hit, the bottom is pretty safe and it is unlikely you would do any damage other than cosmetic.
    4) What are some repairs (bang for buck) one might perform, if mechanically inclined?
    Oil change and regular maintenance should be easily performed by someone that does this regularly on there own cars. It is a case by case basis as to actual repairs. There are many great threads that will lead you through the mine field of fixing X, Y, & Z on these cars. I will say, having an experience Ferrari technician in your corner can save time and aggravation when deciding what you can fix and what needs to go to the pro.
    5) So many have after market exhaust systems, do they have inherent design issues?
    I have no affiliation with any aftermarket exhaust builder/supplier. So, from my experience, Tubi is by far the best header, muffler system. They are however extremely expensive. I have used FabSpeed with great success and customer service if I have an issue has been top shelf.
    I am not a fan of Capristo.

6) What is the best after market exhaust (can you use after market headers with stock muffler?
    See #5, Yes, you can use aftermarket headers and stock everything else. Any one part (header, cat, or muffler) can be added by itself.
    7) One of the ones I have in mind has squeaky breaks - is that a problem
    Not usually, it is common. A nice hard drive and heat cycle will take care of it in most cases. If someone changed to pads that are squeaky, then you may need to change pads.
    8) Best way to handle sticky vents?
    Sticky RX

Thank you
    Tom[/QUOTE]

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Read the buyers guide at the top of the 360 section - very comprehensive - then take a look at any other threads in that section that look helpful

Bob in Makiki likes this.
  4. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Tom: Welcome to Ferrari Chat. This is a great community.

First, do what Jimmie suggests above: go to the 360 Forum and see what you can learn there. There is a specific thread there that deals with gated 360 values, and you can read various opinions there and in other threads on the forum as to value. There are other discussions addressing most of your other issues, too.

As for fair sales price, in addition to the thread mentioned above, where do you live? If you live in the U.S., go to ferrarimarketletter.com and buy a subscription there. It is well worth the money to get access to their listings and asking price index. Also, go to Hagerty.com and sign up there -- it is free and they have good market value data there, too. I think Keith Martin's Sports Car Market is another good source of pricing information for U.S. markets. If you live in the UK, go to aldousvoice.com. In fact, you should go read his excellent web site in any event; it is full of great information about our cars that is equally applicable to the U.S.

But your best start is here in Ferrari Chat, and the 360 Forum is a great place to begin.

Good luck! There are great cars and great fun, and this is a great place to learn about them.

5. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    My advice,,,

1 - Really think about what you want. Colors...options...modifications (or none at all). Do you want a beauty-show car, or a driver that you don't need to worry so much about.

2 - Once you really know what you want - buy the best one you can that fits those specifications. Spend what needs to be spent to get a really good whatever you want. Don't think that you will buy cheap and then improve - it is cheaper in the long run to buy at a high price and then maintain, not to buy and then plan to improve/fix/conform to your desires.

Keith Darby and Bob in Makiki like this.
  6. John Stevens

John Stevens Karting

Feb 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Stevens
    Make sure it has not been crashed & lashed ! Big problem with Ferrari aluminium cars 360 > is that accident damage needs to be repaired by someone who knows what they're doing ie factory trained, with the correct factory equipment ! There are going to be many botched up cars on the road in future, 'repaired' by those who 'know what they are doing' or rather 'think they know what they are doing' which is all the more dangerous. Get the car inspected by an authorised repairer where ever possible.