News

Buying a 95 456 GT w/ 25k miles

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Scuderia Ferrari, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Scuderia Ferrari

Jul 31, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    A couple quick questions for any current 456 GT owners....(WITH YOUNG KIDS)

-Have any of you actually placed two regular carseats(for kids over 20 lbs) in the backseats?

-If so, can you still drive the car or is the drivers seat wedged up against the steering wheel?

-Is it convenient or too tight?

-If you fit the kids in car seats...Can you actually fit a double stroller in the trunk or simply golf clubs?

-Is the window service issue still covered under warranty?

-What is the next service after the 15,000 mile. I know that the 15k was already completed at an authorized shop.

-The car is CARFAX certified...What does that actually mean?

-Any guestimates on the $ for trailering the car from FL to AZ????

-Anything else in particular I should be looking at ????

-The car is immaculate in and out w/ all records and tools.

-What is the official Ferrari name for Charcoal Grey and Tan?

THANKS.

Go Schumi....

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    #2 speedball, Oct 7, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Can't answer your other questions .... but I had a 68 Hemi Roadrunner transported from Tampa to Los Angeles in an enclosed semi trailer for about $ 1,300. Used Exotic Car Transport. Took about 7 days door to door. Was very happy with this company. If you use an open car hauler it's maybe $ 500 less.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    (I numbered your questions for convenience).

1-- Yes, do it regularly (my kids are 7 and almost 4). Works fine, although if you can, try to get car seats with a slight taper at the back of the seat, as they will fit better into the deeply sculpted seats.

2-- No problem (and I am 6'4").

3-- It's reasonably convenient, no worse than any other two-door. For a lot of around town, in-and-out-of-the-car frequently, it is not as pleasant as a 4 door or an SUV, but otherwise it is fine.

4-- Never tried a double stroller (or any other kind of stroller). Golf clubs, sure, two sets fit fine (probably not a PGA Pro bag, but any reasonable golf bag). The trunk is actually much larger than it appeared to me at first glance.

5-- My understanding is that it is not still being done under warranty, but I would check with an authorized dealer on that one. Mine was done under warranty in 2001 (my car is a 95 also), and the invoice was $9k, so keep that in mind.

6-- 30k. This is the major service with the timing belt replacement. It should be done on either a mileage or a calendar basis (normally 5 years). If it has not been done, I would recommend doing it immediately. I would be a bit surprised if it has not been done at some point in the past.

7-- Not sure.

8-- No idea.

9-- I would be sure to get a PPI done with a compression check. There are apparently a few 456s with bad compression. Otherwise, they are wonderful cars!

5. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Hi,
    I own a 95 456GT with about 25k miles...what a coincidence! And the same color too! Hopefully, I can help answer a few of your questions.

#1: Don't know - don't have any kids! :)
    #2,3,4: N/A
    #5: The window fix is no longer covered under warranty, so make sure it has been done by a reputable shop; otherwise, you may be looking at a potential fix of $8-10k!!
    #6: The next major service after the 15k would be the 30k. Based on what I have heard, it's about a $3.5-4k job, a bit less than some of the older V8's b/c the engine doesn't have to come out.
    #7: CARFAX certified unfortunately doesn't guarantee the car has absolutely no history. Make sure you do your homework on it - a lot of times, small fixes, even lemon repairs don't get report to the DMV. Make sure you get service records!
    #8: I bought my car from GA and had it transported to CA. I, too, used Exotic Car Transport - it was my second time using them. My first ferrari (my 348) was shipped from FL to CA... both were shipped for about $1400.
    #9: There are a number of things you should be looking at:

- Make sure the water hoses were updated to silicone-based hoses during the 15k service - this was a warranty "update" that needed to be done (the other rubber hoses were known to burst at times)
    - Even if the window update / kit was installed, it's possible the car may still need an adjustment - I just have mine adjusted, but it wasn't bad... just a few hours of labor
    - Make sure the transmission is solid and shifting properly
    - Check to see if the car is overheating
    - Double-check all electricals, including the seats - they should move forward when you pull the latch forward

#10: The color you are asking about is Canna di Fucile. It means "barrel of a rifle" which loosely translates to gunmetal gray.

Good luck!

Hope this helps,
    Byron