Buying a Daytona | FerrariChat

Buying a Daytona

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by PDB, Feb 24, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    After many years if dreaming, I’m now in a position to buy a Daytona and my intention is to use it properly, including on ling-distance tours.
    I’m looking at a very nice, sub-30k miles car that has never had an engine rebuild. It has been meticulously maintained, but should I be at all concerned about the engine, or anything else for that matter? I have a 308gt4 and I know that they originally had sodium-filled valves, that are known to drop their heads. Consequently, most have now had solid s/s valves fitted. Did Daytonas originally use sodium-filled valves?
    It is being sold by a renowned dealer, but is there anything specifically that I need to look into?

Paul

Shark01 and LARRYH like this.
  2. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Hey Paul - congrats on getting to a point where you can fulfill your Daytona dream - they’re amazing cars!

You’ll likely get more appropriate responses from the “Vintage” sub-forum… this sub-forum is dedicated to 365 GT4 2+2, 400, 412 models.

Best of luck in your search and enjoy in good health!

LARRYH likes this.
  3. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    After many years if dreaming, I’m now in a position to buy a Daytona and my intention is to use it properly, including on ling-distance tours.
    I’m looking at a very nice, sub-30k miles car that has never had an engine rebuild. It has been meticulously maintained, but should I be at all concerned about the engine, or anything else for that matter? I have a 308gt4 and I know that they originally had sodium-filled valves, that are known to drop their heads. Consequently, most have now had solid s/s valves fitted. Did Daytonas originally use sodium-filled valves?
    It is being sold by a renowned dealer, but is there anything specifically that I need to look into?

Paul

4. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thank you, I have re-posted as suggested.

Paul

5. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    The Daytona does share some engine components with our cars, mainly the lower block design and the 365 pistons, hence the reason why some Daytona fans end-up from time to time in our backyard forum...

Exhaust valve 107082 is common to both engines. It is indeed sodium filled. The general consensus is that these do not break easily. I beg to defer...

For sure, as long as you don't mess with these valves you could be fine, but if you open the engine you should definitively change the valves. Back then I made the decision to change the guides while keeping the valves. Bad idea (the valve broke shortly after). I've learned the hard way that you never know how 50 year old metal can react in a new context.

On his car, my brother decided to install new genuine Ferrari sodium filled valve. These are less reliable, do cost 4 times more, are totally outdated given modern metallurgy progress, but they provide better cooling and allow to keep the engine 100% original. On a Daytona this could make sense.

Il Tifoso and PDB like this.
  6. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
  7. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It's a very nice Daytona, but why is it sporting 512BB seats?

8. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The original owner specified reclining seats, but a new pair of Daytona seats are being made for it in Italy, so it will come with a choice of seats.

9. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    appears to be missing luggage straps.
    books?
    tools?
    it all adds up.

10. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
  11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    what is the sn?
    a euro car with square corner headlights?
    when did euro cars transition from plexi to popup light?

12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Here are some details on the switch between S1 and S2 cars. Though a serial number doesn't necessarily indicate when the car was actually completed...

s/n 14113 LHD Retractable Euro car (Daytona registry)
    s/n 14115 LHD Fixed Headlight Euro car, Originally imported to US
    s/n 14117 RHD Retractable British
    s/n 14119 RHD Retractable British (Daytona registry & SCM Web site)
    s/n 14121 RHD Retractable British
    s/n 14123 LHD Retractable ??
    s/n 14125 RHD Retractable SCM web site, Scottsdale 1/24/1999

Edward 96GTS likes this.
  13. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You'll need to be a bit more specific I'm afraid, what is it that you're referring to?

Paul

14. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    the pulley near the oil filters and the red tubing where the horn should be.

15. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Isn't that the air-con pump?
    I assume the red pipes are coming from the air-horn compressor.

16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    While I have nothing to add (not even in dreamer status), what a great life changing moment for you, good travels.

PDB likes this.
  17. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No tools or books, but there is an extensive history file going right back to the original order.

18. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    It wouldn’t be top of my list of Daytonas…there are considerably better cars available (RHD) for similar money.
    Not sure how this came in to Hartley Jnr hands as he is usually quite scrupulous but this will sit with him (like that left hooker Boxer he has with questionable history).
    Yes, exterior of Daytona looks nice but at what price?

Paul

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  19. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    Really?

Paul

TTR likes this.
  20. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That’s what I was told and I have no reason to doubt.

21. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Part of a trade package perhaps ?

22. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Perhaps added/modified at a later date (for the original owner ?) and unless the seller can prove (with documentation) original installation, I’d run away with worries of what else they’re making up/not disclosing.

Rifledriver likes this.
  23. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I think if you wanted a Daytona to enjoy and drive as intended then one with SS valves may be preferable.

PDB likes this.
  24. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No one in their right mind is using sodium valves in these cars for any reason. No one cares about originality of valves. In fact most of the well respected rebuilders are throwing away the connecting rods in the same dumpster. They are internal, no one sees them and they prevent destruction of heads and cylinder blocks.

Jack-the-lad, JAM1, tritone and 6 others like this.