Buying a Ferrari in Dubai | FerrariChat

Buying a Ferrari in Dubai

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by Noel, Oct 16, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Im in Dubai right now and am intersted in shopping for a 430 spider, where do I go? who has any meaningful inventory?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  3. Boca Exotics

Boca Exotics Karting
    BANNED

May 11, 2006
    Boca Raton, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Hidalgo
    Noel,

I am planning on doing the samething in Duabi soon. Will be in the same position you are in now. If you don't mind sharing some of your experiences while your there, I would like to keep in touch with you after you return back to Chicago. I live in the Palm Beach area of South Florida.

Will you be looking for a US spec car?

Richard

[email protected]

4. mani-1

mani-1 Rookie

Nov 22, 2003
    MALIBU, CALIFORNIA
    Full Name:
    MANI
    hi,

you can try looking at this web site in dubai.

www.sabretrading.com

they have a 430 spider, but it is still quiet expensive for a car located in dubai.

hope this helps,
    mani

5. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

yup, US spec cars are just easier on the back end.

6. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    If you want a F430 US specs, you won' find a good price.

7. Boca Exotics

Boca Exotics Karting
    BANNED

May 11, 2006
    Boca Raton, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Hidalgo
    Thanks Mani, I appreciate any leads I can get. Sent you a PM.
    Richard

8. InZane

InZane Rookie

Apr 25, 2006
    Hi
    If you're thinking of getting an F430 spider, I would recommend the following places:
    The dealer - Al Tayer Motors
    Exotic Cars - on Shiekh Zayed Road
    Alain Class Motors - Al Ain
    Princess Cars - Abu Dhabi
    House of Cars - Sheikh Zayed Road

Or you can get a copy of the latest Auto Trader in the UAE and check the various Ferraris for sale in that.

Zain

9. mani-1

mani-1 Rookie

Nov 22, 2003
    MALIBU, CALIFORNIA
    Full Name:
    MANI
    Hi Richard,

In reference to your P.M., kindly note it is very difficult to find US Specification cars in Dubai because the dealerships in Dubai do not accept US warranties on the cars. Therefore, a person who lives in Dubai would rather pay the extra money to buy a Middle East or Gulf Specification car that has full warranty and dealership support than importing a car from the U.S. You might be lucky and find an expatriate living in Dubai who brought his ferrari from the U.S. to Dubai and is now selling it for cheap, because nobody living in Dubai wants to buy a car without warranty. If you would like, check out the following link for some more ferrari's for sale:

http://www.autosouk.com/findacarsearchresult.asp?mode=SIMPLE&page=1&make=F1&model=All&Registration=&year=&year2=&MakeDropDown=

Also, you can try calling +971-50-4578688, which I got from the Gulf News Classified ad. Apparently, this guy has three 430s for sale, so he must be a car dealer. I have no affiliation with this person, so take care before you make any business transactions in this region.

I hope this information is helpful.

take care,
    mani

10. 3omar

3omar Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    United States
    Full Name:
    Omar
    Mani, there is no such thing as "Gulf specifications". All Ferraris sold in the Gulf through the local dealers are European spec (with the letter B as the 8th character in their VIN), except in Dubai, where (I am told) the dealer sells US spec cars (with the letter A in their VIN).

A US spec car doesn't mean a car that was imported by a person from the US to Dubai. It means a car that was built by Ferrari to US specs, as opposed to European specs. All US dealers get US spec cars, all European dealers get European spec cars, but outside of those 2 markets, it depends on local rules and the deals that dealers have struck with Ferrari SpA.

If the info I was told about the Dubai dealer is correct with respect to them importing US spec cars, then any Ferrari sold in Dubai by the dealer is effecively a US spec car.

Anyway, checking is very easy as the VIN is written in multiple places on the car, including on the steering column. Anyone could just check if it has the letter A or B as its 8th character.

11. Flex

Flex Karting

Aug 23, 2005
    Dubai
    call 009714-3333057 and name your dream car

12. mani-1

mani-1 Rookie

Nov 22, 2003
    MALIBU, CALIFORNIA
    Full Name:
    MANI
    Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was informed many times by different dealerships, in Dubai such as Mercedes, BMW, Toyota, and GMC/Chevrolet, that their cars were "GCC Specifications," or in accordance with the Gulf Cooperation Council Specifications, which is technically the same as European Specifications except some of the cars might have had modifications to better handle the heat. As far as Ferrari's, Porsches, and other exotics in the Middle East, the cars are usually European Specifications.

Please refer to the following article in Gulf News that talks a little about the used car market in Dubai. This may be helpful as well.

http://www.gulfnews.com/supplements/automobiles/sub_story/10042227.html

mani

13. Flex

Flex Karting

Aug 23, 2005
    Dubai
    you are right, and as you said ferrari's and other exotics are "usually European Specs"
    and there are US spec ferraris in the market, because Al-Tayer dealership sells ONLY US spec ferraris

14. chevalcabre

chevalcabre Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Steve Maman
    no they dont... they get more gulf spec .. they get a few u.s occasionally as per special requests...

but the incredible thing is what is happeneing with f.n.a and d.o.t .dick meritt....

they are trying to seize cars that were u.sa. spec from dubai... f.n.a is saying the cars are not complying to usa spec...

some people on the market are in trouble...specially a close friend of mine...

i travelled there once when i was offered 2 cars... i went around... all junk when cheap... or when nice and low k's, they are same price as ebay...

then the worst part is no warranty transfer to usa even if usa spec. as the car was delivered through another network.

most cars are painted or repared.. they drive strong there !! wheels are scuffed... missing books,... basically story cars.... was a waste of time..

and the biggest problem is having SAFE TRANSACTION where u dont get screwed..... the laws are very different and the danger is great...

u cannot pay and pickup there... you have to wire.... then pray that the guy answers the phone ... then he needs to transfer paperowrk... then send the car...

too much risk involved....

15. chevalcabre

Nov 2, 2003
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Steve Maman
    i am not implying ALL cars from there are bad.... all i am saying is that most of the cars i saw execept for the f dealer were rough...high miles...very far from the car quality you get here in n.a ....

as far as the danger of transaction, there are horror stories with people wiring funds and getting zip ... stories all over.... i am pretty courageous type of businessman but when i landed there, i was terrified to wire 1$ for anything... it is a little bit of a flea market type of operations... execept for a few places that have nicer dealerships... i would ONLY trust the lcal f dealer if i were to buy a ferrari... NO -ONE else...

16. Flex

Flex Karting

Aug 23, 2005
    Dubai
    yes, true, high mileage and alot of repaired cars, but i was talking about the Ferraris, there is NO gulf spec on Ferraris, its either a Euro spec or a US spec, Euro spec is everywhere here, and the dealer sells only US spec, i dont know about the warranty transfer, and as you said, the buyer should deal with the local dealer in person to transfer them the money directly, and not just by a phone call

17. chevalcabre

Nov 2, 2003
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Steve Maman
    dubai gets euro spec cars at al tayer only...under certain cases, they order usa spec for people that have usa adresses etc..... i guess a way to get little more for their cars when they are done but my experieence was that they were all banged up and high k's...color changes... just bad cars... and they are so hard to locate...

18. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Be very wary of a car which is truly U.S. spec here. It used to be easy to register stolen cars here, and some were stolen in the US to order. Get the vin number checked, the engine number and the gearbox number, then run them to check that they match and are not stolen.

Best thing is that the local F dealer, Al Tayer will run a complete mechanical and title check for about $600. Spend the money, use what you find to work on price.

360s are reasonable now as are 550s, but 90% of Dubai cars are F1 transmission, mind you my knowledge of current North American prices is limited.

19. Flex

Flex Karting

Aug 23, 2005
    Dubai
    No no no, i checked al tayer many times before i got my car, and now my friend has ordered from them too, they import US spec Ferraris, in our neighbor countries like Oman and Qatar, their dealers import Euro spec, i am sure of this, because i got mine from Qatar dealer and its a Euro car, and i was with my friend when he ordered his car from al tayer, it is US car and i'm going with him to pick it up next week

as for the high mileage and banged cars, you can always check any/all the cars before buying them with their dealers, and they'll tell you if it had accidents or was stolen or anything

and its True, 90% or more are F1 transmission, people doesnt prefers manual here

20. chevalcabre

Nov 2, 2003
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Steve Maman
    no no no.... they get much more euro spec than u.s.a. spec..very few usa spec come on al tayer...

and yes, stolen cars with knock off vin #'s from other countries including usa vin#'s are very very common in dubai ! like a testarossa 1986 red with knock off wheels having a 355 cpe vin # with a 1995 year !!! the guy told m i was crazy to think the car wa stolen and used a vin off another car ! in 1995, there were no more testarossas !! specially knock off wheels...they ended in late 1987 .....

i just hear so many horror stories and so many fake cars with stolen vin#'s.... dubai is a dangerous market with no control for cars and vin.... add the long distance dealings to this salad and it makes a explosive dangerous meal to swallow !!!

i learned and wasted enough money going back and forth .... i buy here and sell here in north america.... no more dubai for me ! wasted time $$

21. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2004
    Shanghai/Melbourne
    I lived in Dubai for 20 years, bought my Ferrari there exported it from there, bought tons of other cars, boats etc and never had any trouble. You guys should check the old posts it's why we have a search button on here. This subject has been covered many times before.

As for being ripped off, its no different than New Jersey or Texas, London or anywhere else you guys live. Check before you buy and make sure you are covered. Stick to the good dealers or find private sale and have the car checked. The have facilities that are light years in front of the rest of the world in Dubai.

The only thing other than the rest of the BS on this thread that I agree with is the cars are well used, but hey I've seen then welded back together in many countries. If you go to Al Tayer’s workshop you will find about 50 cars in for damage repair at any one time. The other cars are repaired in small garages and often with much better results. My car still shows the damage from Al Tayer after the third time the tried to repair bonnet damage they inflicted on the car during a service. Another story there was a friend whose 6 week old 348 was in for its 1st service when they pranged the front and a did a poor repair which showed, they also did not tell him, he saw it himself.

You do not have to pay 600 $ to check the title, go to the Ferrari club they have the details of most cars. But you do need to run a check, a friend who ran Interpol in Dubai showed me three TR's on the same plate there. (Still driving around and as far as I am aware they still are). They will check the title when you try to export the car anyway so make it part of your purchase deal.

It's no different from buying anywhere in the world you have to look out for yourself. I was in Florida earlier in the year and saw some real dogs on the market among the nice stuff.

Do not be afraid, but if it’s too good to be true, then for sure it is, the Dubai Arabs breath in and not out.

Just my idea after many years of experience both painful and pleasant living there.

22. Flex

Flex Karting

Aug 23, 2005
    Dubai
    a real live example, thanks alot for sharing, no one seems to believe what i was saying all along :)

23. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    [ the Dubai Arabs breath in and not out.

QUOTE]

Curious, what does this mean? BTW, I visited Dubai 10 years ago and loved it. I never made it to the Ferrari dealership but still regret it. I saw one 360 while I was there and that was it. The exchange rate was very good back then and I was hoping to run across a vintage F car but didn't find anything.