Buying a Ferrari | FerrariChat

Buying a Ferrari

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tom petruccelli, Jun 9, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tom petruccelli

Jun 5, 2018
    Full Name:
    THOMAS PETRUCCELLI
    Hello F-lovers,

I'm struggling to pull the trigger on a 360 purchase. I have looked at 1000's on line, 10s in person, drove 5-6 F1s, 2 manuals, 1 F1 on a slalom corse and really want to own a manual 360. I feel I should be able to find one for 100K that needs nothing. I averaged 11, that I found on line, from 2000-04, all manual (viewed photos to make sure they were gated). Results were: asking price 111K, 22K mi, 2002 yr. Assuming the vast number of purchases are not the asking price -90% of 111 is ~ 100K.

I have researched some of the costs for repairs. I am mechanically inclined but do not have the skills/knowledge to repair anything yet - therefore I will use the dealer or Indy shop for repairs. Common 360 areas of repair are very expensive and the more miles on the car the value seems to decrease (1200 mi/yr). Some repairs: Belts 3500, clutch 4800, muffler 5000 stock, 6000 sport, brakes 3000, dash pad 5000.

Are these cars worth owning?

Thanks in advance for your candid response.

Bcutrupi likes this.
  2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Did you read any of the threads in the 360 section as previously advised - so many describe the pleasure of ownership - and yes there are some nightmares but that happens with anything - some cost more some less

3. Bcutrupi

Bcutrupi Karting

Jun 22, 2013
    Colts Neck, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Cutrupi
    I did the same thing you did. In 2013 I joined the FCA and started doing research on Ferrari. I was about to buy a 355 F1 when I met a guy in line at a pizza place. He had a Ferrari jacket on so I thought it would be cool to pick his brain. He told me I was going to spend $10,000 for an engine out service every few years. He told me not to bother getting a Ferrari as the 355 were money pits. I left without my pizza and never followed through with the purchase. Fast forward to 2017, the Ferrari bug bit me again and I started researching 360’s. I love to drive a stick, and was determined to buy a manual 360. Did my research from June 2017 until I found my car in August 2017. I drove my first 355 and 360 in July thanks to a member here who sells Ferrari’s. Narrowed it down to a Ferrari at a Ferrari dealership in Arizona. I negotiated a low price with shipping and my Giallo was purchased. My advice to you is to keep looking for your car. I found many stick shift 360s yesterday when I started looking again for a coupe. I have never regretted my decision and have had loads of fun with my yellow Ferrari.
    Find your car, and buy it. Good luck.

4. tom petruccelli

Jun 5, 2018
    Full Name:
    THOMAS PETRUCCELLI
    OK, I did finally pull the trigger after researching, looking & test driving 360s for almost 2 years. I bought a 360, yellow/black, 2003, manual (6/12/18). So far so good, I clay bar-ed it last weekend (super smooth now) and will glaze, seal and wax tomorrow. ...and be driving it again this weekend. I probably paid a little on the high side but it's mechanically sound with 16K miles.

5. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    How was your experience with FCA? thinking about joining the local chapter.

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Congrats! While the hunt for "The One" can be enjoyable, it's not near add much fun as driving. Enjoy your awesome new ride. And, post pics!
    T