buying a gun in Az? | FerrariChat

buying a gun in Az?

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by Edward 96GTS, Jul 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    will be vacationing in Az from Ca. is it possible to buy a gun in Az and bring it back to Ca?
    what are the registration fees? Ca fees are very high. would i need to register it in both states?
    please shed some light on the process. never bought a firearm before.
    tia

2. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No gun shop will sell you a firearm or ammunition if you don't have an Arizona driver's license.

ICULUKN and RWP137 like this.
  3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I believe out-of-state handgun purchases are banned on the federal level.

Matt

4. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I thought firearm registrations were ILLEGAL in all states. The concept certainly flies in the face of the US Constitution.

If you want to purchase a firearm in AZ, you can have it shipped from the dealer there to a CA dealer with a FFL (Federal Firearms License) for a nominal fee. It is up to you to insure the firearm you purchase will be legal in CA.

Otherwise, check local and state laws in the states you will be conducting business in and purchase from a private individual.

5. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    If you have a relative that lives there have them buy it for you under their name.

after that look into family to family transfers if you want to be completely legal.

6. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    how recent was the ammo law?

I was there a few years ago and that was not the case.

7. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    My buddy was in Montana trying to buy a gun with his California drivers license. Dealer would not sell him anything aside from ammo. Dealer also told him that if he were so sell him a gun, it would have to be on the California approved list of guns. I guess we don’t get all the good stuff here :)

8. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    That is called a straw man purchase and thoroughly illegal. If the relative purchases it for himself, then decides he doesn't want it and offers it to you it is completely different.

technom3 and Caphill like this.
  9. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    oddly that was exactly how it happened in my case. In fact the very next day he bought the one he liked better. That and all the 9mm ammo they had on the shelf.

10. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    That is why you are an innovative thinker! :)

11. fedcoin

fedcoin Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 11, 2017
    Don't walk into the gun store wearing a mask.

12. fedcoin

fedcoin Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 11, 2017
    Your question is like saying, "If I have two common law marriages in the same state and I move one of them to a state that doesn't recognize common law marriage, am I still a bigamist?"

I'm only being a smart ass because that is what you will be in the eyes of the California DOJ, AG, CA Bureau of Firearms, and your Sheriff if you presume they'll give you a waiver.

You will not legally be able to possess a pistol in California even for the purposes of home defense until you complete the 8-Hour Firearm Safety Certificate Class with a Department of Justice Instructor. And if you've ever been convicted of misdemeanor battery on a female, you'll never pass the ATF background screen.

It's a centralized process. If you played games like in Grand Cayman you'd get a life sentence. You'd never get off the Island. It'd be like Alcatrazz.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/fscfaqs

13. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    You have to have an AZ ID/DL and residence in order to buy a gun from a AZ gun store. Period, end of story.

14. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ammo too. Was at J&G sales up in Prescott 1 year ago and a guy from Kommiefornia tried to buy ammo.... J&G would not sell it to him.

15. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Az drivers license is not required for ammo purchases.

16. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You are correct.
    J&G Sales in Prescott will ask to see a DL if you buy a large quantity of ammo. Apparently there is a law originating from California (surprised?) that places restrictions on out of state buyers. At least this is what J&G had to say.
    Other gun shops apparently don't ask for a AZ DL if ammo purchases made.

17. TTC 250

TTC 250 Rookie

Sep 30, 2020
    Full Name:
    Timothy Caggiano