Buying a Maserati | FerrariChat

Buying a Maserati

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by kodpkd, Jul 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kodpkd

kodpkd Rookie

Jul 8, 2010
    Loveland CO.
    Full Name:
    kevin
    I am looking to buy a Maserati coupe,,, 2002 - 2004. Please help me out on the clutch issue.. I keep hearing the clutch needs to be replaced every 18000 miles,,, about $3500. I do most of the work on my own cars. I replaced the timing chain tensioner on my XK8. Is the clutch replacement something that can be done by the owner? $3500 every 18000 miles is a bit much.. I have read though, that the car is very reliable... a good driver... Thanks..

2. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I suggest that you also check ************ forum where there is much discussion on the subjects of Cambio Corsa clutch life, F-1 pumps, GT (6 speed stick shift with clutch pedal) clutch life, and the pros / cons of each system. Both systems have their supporters. The forum has lots of helpful information.

Those of us who have 4200 Maseratis think they represent good value irrespective of the clutch system you choose. Good luck with your search and eventual purchase.

Jon

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    18K seems like the norm from what I've heard. I've had mine for 8 years now. I love this car. It's very reliable but parts are expensive. The dealer replaced the clutch under warranty at 7 K miles and now I have about 19 on it. The clutch works fine.

Great motor, great interior, great creature comfort (well, the radio is rather weak), and easy to drive. Mine has never leaked a drop of fluid.

The Cambiocorsa is pretty smooth but it does have some gitches under certain conditions. I've found it to grab really quickly sometimes at a take off. You have to be careful in bumper to bumper traffic.

I don't know anyone who's replaced a clutch by themselves though.

I have no regrets owning mine. For what I could sell it for, there is nothing else out there I would even consider buying as a replacement.

4. kodpkd

kodpkd Rookie

Jul 8, 2010
    Loveland CO.
    Full Name:
    kevin
    #4 kodpkd, Jul 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
    Do the clutches last longer in the manual shift over the paddle shifter? Does how you drive the car make a difference? Thanks

5. TravisJ

TravisJ Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Travis
    Maseratis are awesome cars and reward owners with lots of smiles. With that said, if the $3500 (more like $5K) in clutch replacement expense every 18K-22K miles scares you, you may be more suited in a German car. Italian cars can be very expensive to maintain and modern ones are not very DIY friendly.

6. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    As mentioned earlier, there is much discussion about this question. There is no definitive answer because much depends on how you drive and the type of driving you do. Some believe that the manual clutch last longer than the CC's automated clutch, when comparing similar driving styles and conditions. Others argue that there is little or no difference. About the only point about which there seems to be agreement is that manual clutches do not have less life than the automated clutch.

You should also consider how much you will drive the car. 3000 - 4000 miles / year seems to be fairly common, so even at 18,000 miles for clutch, it's only a replacement every four or so years. Annualized, the cost differential between CC and GT clutch maintenance / replacement would not be substantive. If you can, try both and go for what feels best (most fun) to you.

For many of us, it would be hard to justify owing a Maserati as a daily driver with a lot of commuting. But if you consider it as "recreational", a Maserati can make good sense, like a sun vacation, a trip, a boat, an RV, top end sports equipment, musical instruments, etc.. Each brings its own rewards.

FWIW, my "daily driver" practical car is a small Nissan SUV. Does all the chores extremely well and is cheap to operate. Fun? Memorable? Absolutely not. For that, I use the Maser.

Cheers
    Jon

7. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry