Buying a Mondial | FerrariChat

Buying a Mondial

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Arjan, May 29, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Arjan

Arjan Karting

Oct 27, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Arjan de Roos
    Currently I am looking for a Mondial Coupe to buy. I have several options but tend to go for the 3.2 QV. What specific things should I check besides the overall appearance and the service documentation? Your tips are highly appreciated.

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Check the condition of the fusebox and look for burnt connectors or traces

3. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Test every electrical switch and electrical function. Every one - windows, glovebox, antenna, and more - all of them.
    As Tillman said, look at the fusebox, especially the white connector where the wires plug into the box on the inner most side toward the center of the car.

Ensure sunroof works and seals well.
    Both radio speakers work - listen for static as a sign of failure of the pre-amp.

Ask if any of the ignition coils have ever been replaced. By this age, the ignition wires and possibly plug extenders should have also been replaced at least once if it has at least 40K miles.

If aftermarket or upgraded wheels, make sure the originals come with the car.

It's a great car - have fun!

4. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Drive it and make sure it shifts well when cold. Second gear is notorious. Have a PPI by a qualified third party to check for things like compression, rust underneath, etc. A "good deal" can be a bad deal if the car needs significant engine work.

Check on the maintenance schedule and demand to see reciepts. No receipt, it wasn't done, period, no matter what the PO says. The car needs a timing belt change every 5 years regardless of milage. If it hasn't had one recently, take $3000 off the value of the car because it's going to cost that much to have it done right, along with the water pump which is done at the same time. The timing belt breaking is about the only major thing that can do serious permanent and expensive damage to the 3.2 motor, which is built like a brick sh*thouse. This is a very reliable and well made engine that takes a licking and keeps a revving.

The 3.2 Mondial has the blade-type fuseblox which is the most reliable of the Mondial designs, so it should not be an issue.

Birdman

5. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    so people know in what part of the country you live.

The major thing I had done do mine when I bought my 88 3.2 Mondial cab a month ago was to bring the A/C up to snuff - important in the summer here in the South.

Works like a charm now.

Have a thorough PPI and drive it in the middle of a hot afternoon - in traffic so you can watch the temps, pressures, etc. Know what you should expect to see before you go.

6. DougS026

DougS026 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Doug S
  7. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hey,

There was an 88 Prugna 3.2 coupe on eBay that will probably resurface again soon. It looked very nice.

Good luck, Hank

8. Arjan

Arjan Karting

Oct 27, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Arjan de Roos
    Guys, a big Thank You for all tips.

BTW I am from The Netherlands so my Mondial will see Zandvoort many times each year!

9. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    Hello Arjan,
    How are you doing? I am one of your regular customers:)
    I buy models from you together with Henk Jansen, mostly at the fair in Houten.
    I own a Mondial 8 (see pic in my profile) and I am very happy with it.
    Maybe we'll see eachother at the fair next time and change some info.
    Mail me if you have more questions.

Ciao,
    Roel B. (Roermond)

10. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    Btw, welcome at this wonderfull forum!!

11. Arjan

Arjan Karting

Oct 27, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Arjan de Roos
    Hello!! And then you thought you could stay low at Ferrari Chat, hehe!

CU soon!

12. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Good eye Hank. I saw that one too. It was very pretty, and looked strong.