Buying a new Porto - noob questions | FerrariChat

Buying a new Porto - noob questions

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by SamDaMan, Apr 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SamDaMan

SamDaMan Rookie

Mar 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sam DaMan
    I’m a 911 guy who’s looking to buy my first Ferrari. I DD and track (DE maybe 7-10 days a year) my 911, and would plan to do the same with the Porto. Some very noob questions:

1) can I just roll into a dealer and buy/order one? Always heard about this secret process “you don’t choose us, we choose you” about Ferrari

2) Is the going price MSRP (or ADM on top of that) or are people getting any discounts?

3) what is the wait time from order to delivery in the US?

Sorry for the 101 questions...will take all advice.

Sam

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    1) I just walked in as a first-time Ferrari buyer.

2) I was in no position to bargain on a popular car not even in production,so I signed on at what was offered: MSRP.

3) I ordered last April,delivery was supposed to be last November,then the new paint procedure intervened,my car is on the assembly line now,I haven't asked about projected delivery.

LucasFerrari and SamDaMan like this.
  3. odellicour

odellicour Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 15, 2019
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    Olivier Dellicour
    Based on my experience, Ferrari does not offer any discount (demand > offer) but the dealer can offer you options. Only for faithfull clients with a true buying history.

4. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I bought a used Ferrari as a CPO from a F-dealer, so not the same situation but it was a painless purchase, in fact, it was the easiest process with a dealership I've ever had.

Since the Porto is a "entry level" Ferrari there shouldn't be a waiting list, just walk in, build a relationship with a salesman, test drive a demo car if available, and sit down in that pimp a$$ room and spec a sweet car! Any ideas on how you want to spec it?

5. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    If you are buying a Portofino with tracking in mind, be sure that a convertible will be allowed without a race-style roll bar. While I'm aware that the car probably has a rollover safety system of some kind, it may not meet the requirements of the organization you're lapping with. The mid-engine cars really make better track toys anyway.

What about a CPO 458 coupe?

6. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    There may not be a waiting list to buy one, but there sure is a waiting list to get one...

Bamsefar likes this.
  7. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Exactly. Whether you call it a "waiting list" or a "long wait",if you order now you are unlikely to get one until next year.

Raghu likes this.
  8. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I'm looking forward to the 60% depreciation hit on these in a couple years. If I can get past the forced induction I may pick one up!

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePageModel&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d2811&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=&zip=34638&distance=50000&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true#listing=238002330

tomc likes this.
  9. Gooey

Gooey Karting

Jul 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Gooey
    Do you know what kind of options or extras they are willing to give? Do they do this with new car purchases? All new cars are sold at maroon right? So they can’t give away options from the factory?

10. Gooey

Gooey Karting

Jul 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Gooey
    I meant msrp not Maroon- it was autocorrect

11. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Every dealer operates differently, and as a first time buyer you are likely to get a thank you, a hat, a couple key fobs, and the contract at MSRP. I would not expect free options though most dealers will steer you away from color combo's and options that will make the car harder to for them to sell when the car when and if they get it back. There may not be a waiting list (though as stated it does still take a while to get one built) and some dealers (I know Algar does) have brand new nicely spec'd cars for sale. I have owned a lot of Porsche's (43), have two 911's and 2 Caymans now, no matter what everyone might say even my winter (with winter Alpin tires) 911 (991 C4S) is far more of a sports car than the Porto. I do not know what type of driver you are, or your skill level but I'd really recommend some serious seat time in the car before placing an order OP. good luck

Chizz likes this.
  12. LucasFerrari

LucasFerrari Rookie

Mar 21, 2019
    California
    I was worried about huge depreciation when I bought mine . My ferrari salesman said they will likely go down around $30k a year in his opinion . 60 percent in two years seems excessive and I hope it no where near that much

13. LucasFerrari

LucasFerrari Rookie

Mar 21, 2019
    California
    #13 LucasFerrari, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019

Sorry but I have to disagree with you on your statement that the porsche 991 4S is far more a sports car than a Ferrari Portofino .. are you kidding ? I traded in my 2014 Porsche 4S convertible for a Portofino so I can speak from experience on this . It’s not even close ! The Portofino is far better in all categories .. I also have a 2016 Cayman Porsche GT4 so I have some experience with track oriented Porsche’s.

Have you driven a Portofino for some time ? Have you owned a Ferrari ?

dolphins08430 likes this.
  14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Morrie has owned one of everything.:cool:

15. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I should have been more specific. It'll take 5 years at least, not two. Please drive the car, don't let it sit. The poor bastard who bought my Cali30 new drove it a whopping 4,600 miles before selling to me. I've done 4K in 5 months.

tomc and LucasFerrari like this.
  16. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Lets just say I have a bit of experience with cars, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I try never to insult others for theirs. Which I admit is (like now), is not always easy. I try to offer the benefit of my experience to you newer and younger members, I doubt many of you will own over 470 cars (in your lifetimes) or modify over 500 or design your own parts and systems for your cars, or even get past 100 patents. So to answer your question there are not too many cars I have not had seat time in, and I do not see cars like normal people (I'm not normal), and since OP spoke of a car to use on track as well, the Porto would not be my choice, then again I tend to have 11-15 cars at a time because every car has to have at least one purpose.

Rory J likes this.
  17. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    I have not, nor will I own that many cars (i can only dream...). I like to buy one at a time and use them. I had a 911 C4S 991.2 which I traded for a new Lambo 580 Spyder. I did it because the 911, which is an excellent car, just didn’t thrill me at all. To me, it was a bit unemotional. The Lambo, on the other hand, was too emotional and required so much thought to drive. Do I lift or not lift? Are the roads ok today? Will their be too many people out as attention to the car is so high...etc. I decided to trade it for a new Porto. I have to say, just like Goldilocks, it fit just right. Right amount of emotion, can daily drive the crap out of it, and just beautiful. Believe it or not I don’t get as much attention in the Porto, only when the top is down. The Lambo screamed attention, the Porto does not. Btw, this is just totally my opinion, doesn’t mean everyone will feel the same way as me.

I absolutely love love love the Portofino. Best car I have ever owned, for the purpose I use it for...the all around sports car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LucasFerrari and NZCREW like this.
  18. LucasFerrari

LucasFerrari Rookie

Mar 21, 2019
    California
    #18 LucasFerrari, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Sorry Carnut my intent was not to insult . But I felt compelled to voice my disagreement with your statement about a 911 4S being “ far more a sports car “ than the Portofino . You are certainly entitled to your opinion as well. Hope you can understand I just traded my Porsche in for $85k to buy a $260k Ferrari.. and I personally love it a lot more. I agree the Portofino is a GT car and not as track oriented although according to the Sales manager in SD it has the same lap time as a 458 around Fiorano

19. JJ97

JJ97 Karting

Apr 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Joe Nocera
    Well said

20. Kaangunes

Kaangunes Rookie

Sep 26, 2016
    Can anyone confirm what kind of rollover protection the Portofino has? This is a must for me in any convertible, and there have been several recent convertibles made without rollbars of any kind.

21. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    There is rollover protection on the Portofino. There is a huge metal “post” behind each rear seat post that shoot open if roll over is detected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaangunes likes this.
  22. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    Just because there is 'pop-up' roll protection on the Portofino does not mean that will be approved by all track groups, you may need to install a roll bar. Further, I agree with comments above that the Portofino is a touring car, not a track-oriented car.

23. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    It is okay, I cannot be insulted as an Aspie I don't get things like that and see things without emotional feelings. I have learned to notice the tendencies in peoples posts, (I have learned much about interaction after over 15 years on here). I know how people get with their cars and it bothers some people that someone without any emotional attachment to any car or brand would have so many cars. For me they are just another project, like my novels, and my inventions. You see my mind needs constant stimulation, and I need to learn new things all the time. I guess that is why a guy with an 8th grade education that was homeless living off the streets got to be able to own over 470 cars. You should see the 718 I built to be a track car (I will never go to the track too many strangers but it was a project) it ran circles around a GT4 and made a few owners say how did you do that. I used to say send me your car and a blank check and I will give you something one of a kind. I am too old now to be able to do things like that myself, and the 650hp 2300lb 997S (with no traction controls) that I have over 330K in now even scares me a little. I have been told I've forgotten what I've forgotten about cars. That might be true, but I still be plenty of phone calls from folks asking my opinion, and I help when I can. Just like here my words are just to offer advise from experience no one here will likely ever have.

24. Superfans

Superfans Karting

Jan 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    Superfans
    Know it is a apple/orange kind of question, but would be great if the knowledgeable ones can shed some light on the choice of getting a Porsche 991.2 Turbo S coupe or a Portofino. Would you get the apple or the orange?

25. LucasFerrari

LucasFerrari Rookie

Mar 21, 2019
    California

Both are really good cars. They are comfortable to daily drive and are powerful. The Portofino is a bigger car and more comfortable and smooth on longer drives . The 911 being smaller is a little bit more fun around the twisty roads. At the end of the day the Ferrari is better in my opinion because it’s more exclusive to own one .. It’s a Ferrari !! You see a lot more 911 models on the road ..and the Portofino has more beauty and elegance (again .. in my opinion ).

Can’t go wrong with either car ..

I am a bit biased though .. I have a PORTOFINO and a Porsche GT4 for the track and the twisties. My goal would be to eventually trade into a newer manual 911 GT3 and a 812 Superfast Aperta ( if they make it and when the price gets into the $350k to $400k range ) ..