Buying an F40 ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Buying an F40 ?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by WILLIAM H, Apr 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Nice condo you got that allows you to buy the F40 ;)

Lucky dog you! :)

2. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Yeah, exactly. They may sell quicker, but not for more money. I think you should get the one Sheehan has. It looks awesome.

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Zack, come on. This is the one for you. Think about driving a F-40 around NYC.

4. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
  5. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    I believe an LM nose is wider than a stock one..... I know the rear is wider.

6. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Thats the 1 that got me started, It sold immediately :( But I have the word out so we'll see what turns up

7. warrenn

warrenn Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2004
    LA for now,NJ really
    William,
    just curious, have you considered any other vehicles? Ie. Saleen, CGT, Zonda, XJ220...?

8. CYB

CYB Karting

Jan 11, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Chris Burch
    I agree with Chris Parr........

mine costs mid 2's per year for State Farm stated value 375K (no bs)

major in my area appx. 9k, not 30k!

The car is totally a drivers car. If you like to steer with your right foot, you'll feel at home.

The air conditioner works better than any F-car I've ever been in.

A great place to "park" money.

9. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    CGT, too much $ & I stay away from CF tubs bcus of the great cost of repairing it

Saleen is nice but I'm not so sure it will retain value

XJ220 is also nice but I think maintenance will be a nightmare

Pagani, I visited the factory & met Pagani. Very nice but too much $

Ive been thinking about several other F cars but the F40 is the coolest :)

10. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    I was slightly interested in that tricked out one when it first hit the market a few months ago, but when I called Sheehan the owner had changed his mind and decided not to sell. It looks like a good car for someone who wants to track it hard.

I recently bought a different one (and one that is slightly better set up for my needs, which is mostly road driving with a few track events per year). Mine was also brokered by Sheehan (http://www.ferraris-online.com/cars/FE-F40-88423/main.shtml), and the experience with Sheehan and the previous owner was very positive. The previous owner was Ron Silver, and I had the pleasure of flying out to New York to finalize the deal in person. I'm glad I did - Ron is a true gentleman and even if I hadn't bought the car, meeting him would have been worth the trip.

The truck should arrive here in Seattle tomorrow - and Chubb is quoting me $1,500 to insure it for $350K (I have a multi-car and boat discount, however).

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    William, why not a 288 GTO? They are about the same price, yes? As I understand it, which is not very well, 288s are more livable street cars, while the F40 really shines at the track.

Dr "Keep on rocking" Tax

12. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'm a track guy & the F40 has always been 1 of my faves :)

13. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Congrats, Steve!! I was wondering when you were going to add an F-40 to the stable :) Please keep us updated on the car, your driving impressions, and post a few pics if you get a chance...would love to drool over them. I recall seeing that particular F-40 on Sheehan's site -- what awesome cars they are.

William -- the F-40 sounds like "the car" for you as well. Hope you find one soon! BTW, I've always admired "Darth" (your CT). Yours is the exact year and color combo that is on my wishlist. ;)

14. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    I've been F40 shopping for over 6 years now. Those who know me know that I'm rather fastidious when it comes to my cars. I flunked the first one I looked at because it was a garage queen. Flunked the second one because it had been abused and poorly maintained. Flunked another garage queen a year ago, then finally found this one. It has been driven AND maintained properly, which is a tradition I plan to continue!

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Someone posted up a link to a F40LM this AM.

Check it out! In Japan IIRC. L550.000.

That's a lotta $$$ to "park"!

16. Athrill

Athrill Rookie

Jan 20, 2004
    Metro New York
    Steve:

Thank you for your kind words. Hope you enjoyed your vacation.

I am sure you will enjoy the F40 as much as my sons and I did. You are definitely the type who knows how to both enjoy and respect your Ferraris.

As an aside, I also insured through Chubb (both home and all the autos). My annual premium on the F40 ($300,000) was $2,100 (no mileage restriction), which I considered reasonable for metro New York.

Best regards -- Ron

17. SteveB

SteveB Karting

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Barker
    Well I don't feel so bad then. I have been seriously looking for an F40 for about 3 months now and have come up empty handed. The difference with me is that Ferrari of Seattle is doing all the leg work and reporting back to me what they find. I have no problem with a garage queen as long as it has had all the service that is required.

Steve

18. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    Ron: Nice to see you on here, too. You can keep up with the exploits of the car vicariously with online tools such as this :)

SteveB: Ferrari of Seattle did the inspection on one of the cars I was looking at. It was in Oregon, so I paid to have it shipped up here for the inspection. It was the abused one and I ended up putting it back in the truck based on their recommendation. They had John McCaw's museum piece with 700 miles on it in their showroom a few years ago, and I seem to remember them having another one in their showroom a couple months ago, but it was also slightly underdriven for my tastes.

They'll probably turn one up eventually, but I simply made it known to a lot of people over a long period of time what kind of car I was looking for: not a garage queen, well driven (10-15K miles), well documented, & well maintained. Sheehan emailed me right away when Ron's came on the market. His email simply said "This looks like the one you've been looking for." We closed the deal in a little over a week.

I know of one owner here in Seattle (his name is Steve M. - which is the third Steve in this conversation...) and his is in pretty nice shape. I know he was selling it a few years ago, but I don't know if it went. If you're working with Tino at FofS, ask him about it. I believe they do the service work on the car.

19. SteveB

SteveB Karting

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Barker
    I am working with both Tino and Mike at FoS. They haven't mentioned that car but I will ask them about it.

BTW, when I finally do get one I am going to put it on my DynoJet to see what kind of power it makes. Would you be interested in bringing yours down to Puyallup for a few runs?

Steve

20. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    I'd love to! I hope to make a few performance mods to it, so I'd love to do some before/after comparisons. If you're up for it, I'd love to put the stock exhaust system back on it for some baseline runs, and then add individual components to measure increases (ECU, Exhaust system, bypass tubes, air filter, etc.). That would provide some data for a lot of the "seat of the pants" discussions that go on with these aftermarket mods :)

21. SteveB

SteveB Karting

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Barker
    Sounds good. We'll keep in touch. (Now if FoS can only find me an F40....)

Steve

22. warrenn

warrenn Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2004
    LA for now,NJ really
    Cool, thanks for the response. It looks like the F40 is for you then.. wow, and here I was thinking there were so many choices in the F40 price region.. guess not that many afterall unless you are looking at some of the older antiques.. great choice.

23. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Steve, congrats to you, looks gorgeous. William, I don't know you but enjoy your track oriented posts and highly encourage you to pull the trigger on the f40. In my mind, this is the single most desirable ferrari short of some of the super rare classics and maybe the enzo. Personally, I would much rather have the f40 and the change$$ than the enzo. I need one of you f40 owners to take a spin on the northern Calif. coast. We have some great roads that I could be so easily persuaded to show you!!!

24. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    Hello William, Sorry, I was racing in Phoenix and just got back. I got your e-mail and don't hesitate to contact me if you have questions.
    Chris Parr is right about the service, for 5K, you have the belts/seals etc done. You'll love the car, no other F car will give you that sensation ! not even the F50.
    Money wise, the F40 will stay up there and it's a "good" investement for later.
    Sit on the car for 5 years and you 'll cash in.Find a car that was driven and maintained regulary. They are very reliable, I drive mine a lot and mostly on the track with no trouble at all. Watch for tye synchro on 3rd gear, but you have a TR so you know about that.Stock brakes are junk but it's easy to take care of that especialy that you're a track dude.
    Good luck, keep me posted
    Roland
    F40LM