Buying another Ferrari to get an SF90S? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Buying another Ferrari to get an SF90S?

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by Dilusha, Aug 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    We agree .

2. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Barry, you can't pick and choose your stats.

For example - the total number of 812 SF's registered in North American is under 1,100 units (as per FNA documents on rear window recall). Sales to North America represent about a third of global production. So does that mean total 812 production for the entire run was 3,000 units?

3. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    No @Marcel Massini has posted that global 812 production is c 5000 units.

So you may want to check your numbers.

4. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    The number of SF's in recall for North America is around 1,100. Do you want me to check this number?

My point is this - in your post attacking Co-Pilota, you make the error of extrapolating numbers. It would be incorrect to take the SF's in the US and say there are only 3,000 SF's ever produced. Your post makes the mistake of taking UK numbers and extrapolating total production numbers.

5. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Incorrect on both counts. UK has been typically 10% of the market. According to available stats 525 are registered there.
    https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/ferrari_812_superfast_s-a
    which is in line with Marcel's figure of 5000 total production.

Secondly, the error you make with the US is to assume that 1/3 of the cars are delivered there. Evidently that is not the case per the NHSTA filing.

6. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas

Barry I give up. You keep repeating yourself and evidently want to convince people the SF is an overproduced and non-exclusive car. In my part of the world, the SF is super exclusive and gets more attention than any other car on the road, including other Ferrari's.

FYI I am not extrapolating numbers. You were doing that. If you have actual production numbers of 5,000 units, why even bother citing UK numbers and then claiming it is 10% of production?

Rrr1, Caeruleus11 and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  7. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    Didn’t drive these models (yet )... but it sounds perfectly possible: for example the Lotus Evora has a better steering feel than a Scud. No other supercars can match Ferrari’s sound (except hypercars like the Carrera GT)but there are some cars/brands that offer a better steering feel.

8. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    I reckon most of the drivers will never (be able and /or capable) of driving these cars at 10/10s... so why does it matter then that you’re 0,2secs faster on paper?!

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    serendipity strikes, up here next to a Pista right on a lift, guess what’s next to it? A digital scale... let me see what it comes out to
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Has carbon wheels and 1/4 tank gas..

11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I’ll take a photo for posterity

of2worlds likes this.
  12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Okay, so sorry mistaken, I thought it Carbon wheels, it didn't, that saves about another 30 lbs I think?

so 3207 lbs or 1454 kg.

if it had carbon wheels 3177 lbs or 1441 kg

again, I see it has 1/4 tank gas.

Keep in mind the Pista can be equipped with Carbon fiber everything, for example, the wheels would shave off 30 lbs, carbon bin, carbon (everything) is where I think Ferrari gets the ~3000 lbs. Looking at the plate only has the default carbon freebies.

So if you spent like 100K+ in carbon updates, I have no doubt you can get it close to the 1,400 kgs.

So my answer to the question of what does a Pista weigh? The right answer is - it depends, how much did the owner spend on carbon fiber upgrades? Heck, even the gas level could add an extra 100 pounds.

Hope this helps

Attached Files:

gzachary, LVP488 and of2worlds like this.
  13. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006

So with the tank full, we are at 1510 kg that I mentioned previously here, there are a few posts!
    Thank you for your contribution

of2worlds and paulchua like this.
  14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    A tank is what 22 gallons?

So say 17 gallons = ~100 pounds or right around 1,500 you quoted. I would argue it's close enough.

But that doesn't discount people here either, as I said, you can Carbon Fiber up the wazoo with a Pista.

Ferrari quoted weight had the double asterisk =every carbon fiber option installed.

1380kg
    ;) $$$

15. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    It's even easier, quoted kerb weight is 1385 kg ;)

paulchua likes this.
  16. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    #116 day355, Apr 28, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    The weight of the 488 Pista with the exterior carbon pack and all fluids is 1510 kg. This defines for me the official weight of the Pista in running order, as you just saw on the scale. This is also the most frequent configuration that has been delivered. So sort of an implicit standard.
    After, if we do
    make a complete body in carbon and that we drive with 10% of the fuel tank, that we eliminate the passenger seat, the air conditioning, the headlights,the windows ... it is certain that it will be lighter.:D

of2worlds likes this.
  17. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    the client's wallet will be lighter to...

paulchua likes this.
  18. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Always...:D
    But it's not even possible to make it that way.
    Ferrari should have made an RS version of its Pista ...

of2worlds likes this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Yes, agreed if the owner bought every single weight reduction option.

3085lbs = 1385 kg

20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It's somewhere in the middle like most cars.
    If you had a no-expense-spared Pista, yeah it will be 3053 pounds (every carbon fiber option taken)

The one I weighed was a 'base' (haha funny to call a pista that) - with a 1/4 tank and it came in at 3207.

Full tank I would say ~3,300 or as you said ~1,500kg

The right answer is a pista in between 1,400-1500 kg (3100-3300 pounds) depending on carbon fiber options.

It's all academic, the folks that race goes straight to the 488 Modificata anyways and leave any street Pista in the dust.

If you're gonna race, race...and please...not on the street...

gzachary likes this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Not possible? The options list on the website is just the tip of the iceberg. It's very easy to make it that light, Ferrari will gladly take your money.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  22. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    #122 gzachary, Apr 29, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    Thanks for getting this number. From the picture, it looks like we know the same service department. (Who also have the 3rd party air shipping docs.).

In any case, thanks for putting up the information.

paulchua and of2worlds like this.
  23. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    any chance of getting your SF90 on that scale the next time you are visiting the dealer?
    Once upon a time the USA market Ferrari models were heavier with their safety door beams and different bumper systems. Modern Ferrari models mostly all seem to be built to one standard with small detail differences like the dreaded 'side marker' lights for specific markets.:)

paulchua likes this.
  24. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    what options actually reduce the weight aside from the carbon fiber wheels?

things like the cf engine cover and diffuser must save next to nothing vs the standard items

paulchua and gzachary like this.
  25. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    There are on the other hand many popular options that increase the weight - lift, radio, and so on...

paulchua likes this.