Buying my first Ferrari - 2013 F12 | FerrariChat

Buying my first Ferrari - 2013 F12

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by aalmos, Aug 19, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aalmos

aalmos Rookie

Aug 19, 2022
    Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, looking for some wisdom.

I'm about to buy a 2013 F12 with about 30K miles. It costs the equivalent of 200K USD, this price is considered good where I live in Europe. The car aesthetically is in a very good condition, it is generously equipped with options, the service history is pedantic, the previous owner bought extended warranty that is still valid for one more year. The car has never seen a race track according to the dealer (could be a lie), they are in fact illegal in this country.

So is this purchase a good idea? After browsing this forum I understand that 30K miles are borderline.

What should I pay attention for when I test drive the car next week?

What problems should I expect?

How much will I presumably spend on the car yearly if I drive it 5K miles a year?

What is the worst thing that can go south with the car at this mileage?

Thanks in advance!

2. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    I'll let others comment on the mileage, but my belief is that the F12 is pretty bulletproof if well cared for. If you search the F12 threads, you'll spot a few recurring issues which I feel mostly fall into annoying electronic issues.

I purchased my ~ 7.5k mi, 2013 about 18 months ago from a distant Ferrari dealer that was adding a CPO warranty, which I was told included an exhaustive list of examinations to make sure everything was "up to snuff." In spite of that, the RPM LEDs never worked from the get-go and the rear camera was intermittent. I also would occasionally see an alert that the driver's seat heater was on when the switch was in the off position which ultimately led to a control module replacement costing ~ $4k not covered by the CPO warranty. Turns out the module also operated the windshield wipers which I had never used.

My capless fuel cap seal also failed on the first fill-up which I still find strange, but it was a long wait for a replacement part (on warranty) and when I considered buying one out of pocket from Eurospares, I notice the part number had been superseded by a new number. Same for the control module, leading me to believe Ferrari needed to upgrade some of these parts from their experience with the early models.

As for the test drive, it might be worthwhile to download the owner's manual to familiarize yourself with the various controls beforehand so you can do a more thorough check-out. There are some unique aspects to things as simple as the turn signal operation for lane changes vs. actual turns that can take some getting used to.

3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Examine the rear fender grille area for corrosion on the fender where it meets. Ferrari repaired most of these under warranty, it needs just a rubber gasket so the stainless steel wire doesn't rub the aluminum panel.

I'd budget about $2k a year at that mileage if you have a Ferrari CPO warranty. With no warranty I'd budget $5-8k. I've had bad luck with batteries drying out in the desert climate and I'm on my 3rd battery in 2 years. The plastic clips in the cupholder are fragile and run $400-720 a piece. I've broken two in two years.

Typical risk is the DCT, which is usually one of the rubber gaskets in the DCT unit failing. Cash price out of warranty runs $14-16k stateside. I had this done under warranty at about 26,000 miles. The engine block is solid and reliable though.

4. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    In what country is it illegal to race? wtf.

5. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    My F12 has been bullet proof. I got it with 6,500 miles and now it has 10,500 so I haven't put too much on it yet. In addition to the grill, check out the back hatch to see if it leaks. That's about all I can think of. Really 30k miles is not a lot. Yes, it will be hard to resell it but 30k for a hand built high end car is not much. These things are built to be driven. Post up pics when you get them.

6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #6 ryalex, Aug 19, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
    What is Switzerland, Mayim?

:D :D

7. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Welcome to the forum!

50k km is not considered high mileage in Europe. Ferraris are regularly seen with over 100k km and sometimes 150-200k km on them.

I would not worry about the mileage. My wife just bought an F12 with 40k km and it looks like a new car inside and out. We looked at much lower mile examples and they were in terrible condition.

So, at this age of car, buy on condition, not mileage.

Loxo and Avia11 like this.
  8. aalmos

aalmos Rookie

Aug 19, 2022
    Thanks a lot for all the answers.

Anyone could give me a short F12 vs GTC4Lusso pro/con overview? The looks of the F12 got me absolutely hooked but I keep thinking about the comfort and relative practicality of the Lusso at the cost of a less sexy looks.

9. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Do you want a coupe or a station wagon?