458 - Bye 458 hello 600Lt | Page 4 | FerrariChat

458 Bye 458 hello 600Lt

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by chinaleeexports, Aug 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Holy moly! Me like!!

2. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I just perused the McLaren used market and I was stunned at the devaluation of the 675LT. In the last 6 months the average asking price has decreased by 40% or more. If the trend continues, the 675 will be a great buy.

3. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    It’s already a great buy.

Coincid likes this.
  4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Same.

Shack and Coincid like this.
  5. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    For those who respect Chris Harris and his opinions, the 600 LT is a more engaging car to drive than the Pista and his choice between the two. Pistas currently can be had for between $540K US - $600K US. A virtually new 600LT can be purchased for $230K US.

6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I have problems understanding this "engaging" concept regarding modern cars.
    The 600LT is apparently similar to the 488 GTB in terms of performance - which makes it a good value proposition - but in terms of achieved numbers it's not close to a Pista.
    For rawness and "engagement" (whatever it means) I'd stick to my Caterham, and for performance I'm going for the F8 (and I'd have chosen the Pista had I considered the price reasonable).

7. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I respect his opinion, but -having driven both- I don’t agree with it. The Pista is on a different planet and it is very engaging as a car. There is a huge price difference of course, but I don’t consider the two cars as competitors.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Doubt Pista owners are losing sleep over the 600LT. I'd imagine many are financially able to add the 600LT to the Pista if so desired.

SoCal to az and Ash Patel like this.
  9. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I find his conclusions suspect. He also preferred the 430 Scud to the Pista.

10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    My personal opinion rarely, if ever, concurs with what Harris says or writes. I am beginning to think that he is on a payroll...

dustman likes this.
  11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Many people here claim they prefer a 458 to a 488 - I suppose the 430 Scud could be preferred to the Pista for similar reasons (NA vs turbo and more "soul", whatever it means)...

Shark01 likes this.
  12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    #87 Coincid, Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    Harris was once highly predisposed to Ferrari but then something changed. His early reviews of the 488 were nothing but waxing lyrical over its stellar engine that was blazingly quick and exhibited zero turbo lag, transmission that was the superior to any competitor, handling that was precise and engaging etc. Later reviews still lauded its competence but lamented that the 488 did not cause his heart to pound. He subsequently echoed a similiar critique in his review of the Pista.

Conversely, his assessments of Porsche offerings have become increasingly glowing. McLaren models have garnered rave reviews from Harris. The 570S, 675LT, 720S and the 600LT all judged to be exemplary on every level of performance and beautiful upon which to gaze.

13. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Harris used to be great. Recently due to his fame with Top Gear he is almost becoming a caricature of himself like Jezza although still more authentic. How many times can he say "Mega" in one episode?

I like Jethro's reviews the most.

dustman and Caeruleus11 like this.
  14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    All of these cars are incredible, just comes down to personal preference and budget. The reviewers are for entertainment and to get people talking. It means nothing unless you want it to.

15. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Oh boy over here it will make grown men cry

16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The 675 LT is an incredible deal right now, I believe the price will come down further then pop sometime in the future. They are well built and perform exceptionally well. I'm predicting sub $200k in a year.

17. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #92 Shadowfax, Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    How did the trip go? Let's hear please. Black Forest sounds good! I'd be surprised to hear if 3rs was unable to keep up and maybe even take lead through the corners.

Having driven 600 I think where Harris is concerned he is mainly referring to the more predictable steering and chassis vs the Pista which requires more finesse to get the best from it. For some this is a good thing - for others not so.

My experience in both left me feeling Pista was by far the more engaging and compelling to drive however, the 600 did have certain strong suits, again mainly in areas of the steering feel and sharper more intuitive feel on corner entry which I thought was reassuring. The chassis did feel good overall. The engine however was laggy below 4500, crass sounding and overall uninspiring in comparison to Pistas superior linearity and, its by far more sonorous seductive engine note. 600's brakes also felt rather wooden, overly hard underfoot, and lacked modulation in comparison to Pista's, which delivered superior feel underfoot making it easier to place the car where you want in the corner without throwing it off balance. Both are great cars but I would take the Pista all day even if they were the same money.

18. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Haven’t been yet. Leaving on Friday 13th September. I’ll let you know after - first time to Black Forest other than one day on a trip to Monaco in 2011. Looking forward to it and loving the Porsche, the RS is such a wonderful car.

sampelligrino likes this.
  19. FE458IT

FE458IT Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto
    #94 FE458IT, Sep 1, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    Congrats, got mine a month ago (spider) and its a great car.

I strongly suggest you install the skid plate, ride height is barely 4 inches and it scrapes easily.

Crazy straight line speed, superb brakes, steering is very responsive. Doesn't sound as good as my previous 458 but it still has a nice note to it.

I had heard about issues with the Mclarens and mine is no exception, after a month of ownership:

- Roof not releasing properly
    - Mirror not folding open on startup
    - Gas gauge reading 10 % full after I re-fueled

Mclarens will be Mclarens, lol.

20. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I'm sure you have route 500 (schwarzwald hochstrasse) as a must see (truly incredible), and highly recommend a stop at Hotel Traube in Tonbach if you have the time for an amazing lunch. Your RS will be at home there, and probably not the only one!

21. Audipwr1

Audipwr1 Karting

Apr 6, 2017
    Bringing to top / how was your 600lt ownership experience

22. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I was torn between those exact two models - went with the 458 Spider and no regrets - but the 600LT still pulls at my heartstrings - Enjoy :)

23. chinaleeexports

chinaleeexports Karting

Jun 2, 2008
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    SL
    So after approximatley 40 months....I still own my 600LT. Very rare for me to keep a car longer than 2 years per se, but I still love the rawness of my Mac and the fact that I dont see many in my area. As far as complaints...turbo lag-Yes, misc rattles-yes, Issues include: air bag fault light which necessitated a air bag module replacement. Check engine light that after 25 days, the dealer found a crimped intake gasket that was from the factory. Car is left on the battery tender when parked for more than a day. Senna seats are tough getting in and out of but I still love them. At the 3 year mark, I did buy the extended 2 year warranty (glad I did because of the aforementioned intake leak.) I currently have 6,700 miles on the car and will need tires soon. I have driven the Altura (thought it was bland) as well as a Pista for a day. Loved the Pista, too bad I couldnt get one back in 2019. So far I still love the car, I am hoping that it holds up over time but we shall see (so far no sticky parts like in my 458, 430 etc etc.) P. S I still cheer on Ferrari F1....

Attached Files:

Il Tifoso, Ash Patel, Bundy and 2 others like this.
  24. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Glad you provided an update. I have been considering the 600LT and like the way it looks and performance. Maybe in the future I'll add a 600LT to my stable.

chinaleeexports likes this.
  25. ACSATCO

ACSATCO Karting

Dec 23, 2020
    Full Name:
    AJC
    wow nice to see this recap. i owned three 600LT spiders, all from brand new. i absolutely loved the car, but the problems got the best of me. i threw in the towel. but when they are working properly and not making noises, flashing lights, or dumping gas, they are a blast to drive

chinaleeexports likes this.